Will an atx mobo fit an at case?

G

I have an asus p5a, and I'd like to know if there is a way to put it into an old 286 case with a new power supply. Should I just give it up?

Well, is it possible? I really don't mind bending the laws of physics.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
The mounts should be the same. Just get out the tin snips (or Dremel or whatever) and cut away the area where all the connectors are. Who cares how it looks - it's in the back anyway. I've done it plenty of times.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Hm... my KT7A-RAID (ATX) did not fit in the case for my old P233 (AT) motherboard. Maybe because it's a desktop case, who knows. Also, I think AT refers to the original 386, 486, etc. motherboards, but newer Pentium MMX type boards are Baby AT. I might be wrong, but I think it can only be called AT if it has a 5 pin DIN (big fat round) connector for the keyboard. I don't know much of anything though, so I might be wrong.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

G

ATX mobo has integrated com ports and printer port. so I think it won't fix to the AT case. But if you have to buy a new PS to put it to the AT case, why don't u just buy a new case with PS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There were very few full AT boards ever made for the desktop, they were only supposed to be used in servers. 3/4 AT boards were full length, but the normal width we are used to seeing in Baby AT boards. Baby AT boards are3/4 width and 3/4 length. Most BAT cases would also accept 3/4 AT boards. All versions were available with the full sized DIN connector, but some OEMs used PS/2 connectors instead. This was not considered a different sized board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
It could possible fit, but not without a lot of user intervention, i.e., cutting, grinding, and p/s replacement (ATX) w/case ON/OFF switch rewiring. Plus the card slots may be a little off.

For the long run I would just get a good airflow ATX case to avoid the headaches.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I agree wholeheartedly that it's much easier to get a new ATX case. But purely as an academic exercise, it's doable just by cutting out the area for all the connectors, and replacing the PS. You can use the reset button as your power button. The slots DO line up. Looks silly, but it works.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You can use the reset button as your power button.
Bravo! You are very creative, I sure wouldn't mind seeing that setup...LOL. Nobody should never, say never to you.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>