Need opinions. Please read!

G

I’m planning to put together a new system and I don’t have a lot of cash to spend so I will not be able to replace a part or get something else if I buy something that doesn’t work well for me. I was hoping to hear some feedback (good or bad) on the parts I plan to assemble. If anyone knows of any problems, conflicts, or things I should be aware of I’d appreciate hearing about it. Thanks a lot! Here are the specs:

Motherboard: MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU (Raid) with VIA KT266A chipset
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800
RAM: Micron DDR PC2100 512MB
Video card: VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 3 Ti 200 (I already have bought this)
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum

Not sure if I should get the RAID version. I hear that there are sometimes problems with onboard Raid controllers and the PCI bus?

I already have the video card listed above and a standard ATX case with a 300 watt power supply and a 30GB ATA100 Western Digital hard drive. I plan to play games, dabble with some DV video editing, and maybe record some electric guitar. Sound card has Firewire and the MB supports USB 2.0 which I would like to have. I also plan to put Windows XP Professional on it for the O/S. Thanks again!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I hear that there are sometimes problems with onboard Raid controllers and the PCI bus?

The only thing I know about that is possible IRQ conflicts with PCI devices and the onboard RAID. With Windows XP it shouldn't be a problem, though.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
If your looking the save money, use the SB Live! not the audigy,half the cost and no difference unless your using digital speakers.

-Kanaz

G

if you want to save $$, buy 1700+, $50 diff and little difference in performance

G

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am thinking about going with the Athlon XP 1700. It seems that there isn't a big difference in performance and the price difference will help. I do have a question about the SB Live 5.1 card vs. the Audigity card. Does the Live 5.1 have a Firewire port? I know the Audigity does and I want one. Thanks!

G

I was just informed that only the RAID version of this board has USB 2.0. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

G

Audigy vs. SB Live - both are decent but the Audigy sports a much faster MPU, and reduces processing time. It's still got latency problems so it's not a real "recording studio" quality card, but it's a slightly better card for recording directly. Is it worth $100 vs. $50? Hmmm, tough call. The $200 Plat card vs. $50 SB Live? It makes the SB Live card look like a more definite value-winner, let's say.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Don't worry so much about the USB 2.0 support on boards. For $25 you can get a five port (4 out, 1 in) PCI card....I was just looking at this and not too many boards had it yet.

-Rick

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Do not buy a MSI K7t266 Pro2. I built 2 systems in December and threw the boards out within 3 weeks. Before trashing them, I researched the board on the MSI support forum. There is an ongoing problem with the boards failing to post. The following is an copy of a message I posted here last month:

<font color=blue>I am about to trash two MSI K7T266 Pro2 boards. They are only a month old, but judging by the problems I'm having, the lack of response from MSI technical support, and the long list of MSI users posting the same problems to MSI forum, I think it's time to switch to Asus.

I'm an American Expat living in the UK. When I was back in the States at Christmas I built two systems for relatives both using K7T266 Pro2. Immediately, I started getting random lockups where I had to use the power switch to turn the system off. When I turned it back on, no BIOS beep, no BIOS screen, and the D-LED's showing four red lights. According to the manual, this indicated a bad CPU or battery. So I installed another CPU and battery. No luck.

At this point, one system won’t boot all, and the other freezes constantly and boots only every 10th time or so. I e-mailed MSI support, and they refuse to respond. Reading the MSI forum, this seems to be an ongoing problem, and the other users complain of the same lack of support. </font color=blue>
Unfortunately, when I went to MSI's site to proved you with a hyperlink to some of the more juicy discussions, they were surprisingly missing. This includes entire threads which I participated in. If you view my original post about the board in this forum (entitled: Is the time to cut my losses?), you will see a response from a member that looked into and acknowledge the MSI forum postings.

If you are still convinced you would like to use this board, please let me know. I can dig them out of the trash and save you some money.

I will give MSI some credit. It sure does come in a pretty box.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

G

Oilybohunk,

Your reply has made me concerned. I was really getting psyched about this board. You are the first person that has strongly advised against getting this board. I posted the same thread in numerous forums and the majority of the feedback I have gotten has been positive.

I have a few questions:

Did you have the K7T266 Pro2 RU (RAID version) board?

What O/S were you running on the system?

Were you using any of the parts I listed (sound,video)?

I don't mean any offense by this question. Are you confident everything was connected and configured properly?

If I am still interested in this board and you still have them laying around. What would you want for them?

I am worried because this is all of the money I will be able to spend for a year or two on my PC. If I get something that doesn't work and I can't return it. I'M SCREWED! I would like to hear back from you and anyone else that has experience with this motherboard. Please reply! I need the help. Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trakes on 02/26/02 10:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, here we go:

Mobo: I haven't touched on, so I can't give you my experience on it. digital_trucker uses one and loves it. As for features, the R stands for RAID, the U for USB2.0 (K7T266 Pro2-RU). That's how you know what you have.

Whoever said you can get USB2.0 cards for cheap is absolutely right. I saw a four-port card for $40 at Best Buy. I'm not quite sure what the point of a USB in port would be, though.

Sound card: Don't get the Live, whatever you do. The hardware is poor, and the drivers are terrible. For bottom end, get a Hercules Muse XL from Newegg for $16. Slightly better sound quality than the Live, and slightly fewer features. Mid-range is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, around $60 and better sound quality than both, with the same features as the Live. Upper end is the Hercules Game Theater XP, with sams sound quality as the Santa Cruz, and more features than you will ever use in this lifetime or the next.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
i havnt had personal experience with this particular MSI board, but might as well play it safe you know? almost every brand has an athlon board(ddr the works) for around a hundred bucks so try looking around, as for the rest of your config looks good, unless you want to go with the platinum card, i would stick to the audigy. try to go with a major manufacturer, (asus, gigabyte, soltek, soyo, and many others) as quality would be ensured. I suggest a Soltek SL-75DVR4 (Purple Ray). lots of features, and depending on your location can be delivered to your door for around $110. if youre interested in that board i got mine off of the toms hardware pricegrabber, thats a great tool.
I understand your situation as i too cannot afford to get crappy products and try returning them. in most cases you can return stuff, but there is usually a restocking fee around 15%. But the likelyhood of your machine not working fine is low. If you really want to play it safe make sure your processor is retail/boxed not OEM, you get a manual and an included heat sink. little more money though.
if 50 bucks is important to you a 1700 would be fine, but if you wait a couple weeks you could probably get the 1800 for the same price, but that could be said about anything at any time so its your call.
goodluck!

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
if money is really that important to you DO NOT get 512 MB ram. 90% of the people who get alot of ram dont need it and dont know why theyre getting so much, they just assume its better. granted 512 is not a TON, but 256 should do you just fine, even with your audio stuff. Unless you know FOR SURE you need 512MB RIGHT NOW for a particular program stick with 256 and save yourself like 70-100 bucks. If you decide later(as in months/years down the road) you need more, the price of DDR ram will drop significantly fairly soon.

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
<i><font color=blue>
Did you have the K7T266 Pro2 RU (RAID version) board?
</font color=blue></i>
Both boards were K7T266 Pro2's, but not the RAID version. However, I can't see this difference making a difference in reliability. If nothing else, adding the RAID allows for another point of failure.
<i><font color=blue>
What O/S were you running on the system?
</font color=blue></i>
One system was W98 se and the other was Win2000.
<i><font color=blue>
Were you using any of the parts I listed (sound,video)?
</font color=blue></i>
I used a Sound Blaster card, but not the same one. Different video card.
<i><font color=blue>
I don't mean any offense by this question. Are you confident everything was connected and configured properly?
</font color=blue></i>
Don't worry. I'm pretty thick. It takes a lot more than this to offend me. Yes, everything was correct. I went back through both systems (and the manual) multiple times. After going through MSI's support site, emailing support multiple times without response, and finally stumbling on to the forums, I determined my assembly and configuration was not to blame. Just one additional note, in one forum message (which has now been deleted) 16 MSI suckers decided to cut their losses, learn from their mistakes, and switch brands. I personally favor Asus.
<i><font color=blue>
If I am still interested in this board and you still have them laying around. What would you want for them?
</font color=blue></i>
Please feel free to email me via this board, if you are serious. Tom's tends not to like conducting business via the forums. I will let you know that the systems I built were for relatives. One was a gift from my wife and I for my father-in-law and the other was paid for by my father-in-law as a gift to my brother-in-law. After both systems failed, I replaced both boards, at my own expense, with Asus A7V266-e boards. They are both working great. I would love to be able to recoup some of the expense for this two additional boards, but I would hate to do it by causing someone else grief.
<i><font color=blue>
I am worried because this is all of the money I will be able to spend for a year or two on my PC. If I get something that doesn't work and I can't return it. I'M SCREWED! I would like to hear back from you and anyone else that has experience with this motherboard. Please reply! I need the help. Thanks!
</font color=blue></i>
Here are a few suggestions for research:
<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/02q1/020219/rc2001-04.html" target="_new"> Tom's Hardware Guide Readers' Choice Awards 2001 </A>
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/kt266a_nforce-09.html" target="_new"> Tom's review of K7T266 Pro2</A> mediocre at best
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1/020220/index.html" target="_new"> VIA KT333 vs. KT266A </A> - If you are looking at something to last you a few years, consider the latest technology. I've read some great feedback on the Iwill 333, but I have no personal experience.
<A HREF="http://cweb.msi.com.tw/eforum/index.php?target=article&tid=2305
" target="_new"> A good example from the MSI forum</A>

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JCC

G

Oilybohunk,

Thanks for your feedback. After visiting the MSI forums and seeing quite a few issues with their boards not booting up I am now not firmly set to purchase this board. I do have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Did you install the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers for the chipset?

Did the motherboards you replaced the MSI one's with have the VIA KT266A chipset on them or did they use a different one?

Can anyone recommend another AMD Athlon XP motherboard that has USB 2.0 and similar features as the MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU board and is in the same price range. $130 or less.

P.S. I "WILL NOT" be overclocking anything so that is not an issue with selecting a MB. Decent speed, great features, and stability are what I want.

Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trakes on 02/27/02 10:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
<i><font color=blue>
Did you install the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers for the chipset?
</font color=blue></i>
Yes, latest drivers and bios.
<i><font color=blue>
Did the motherboards you replaced the MSI one's with have the VIA KT266A chipset on them or did they use a different one?
</font color=blue></i>
Yes, the Asus A7V266-e is a KT266a board. They also make a A7N266-e with the NVIDIA nForce 420D chipset. Unfortunately, neither offers USB 2.0

JCC

G

Hi
I bought this mb 5 days ago, with PC2100 CAS2 and athlon xp 1500+, and i have not any problem.

this is a very fast mobo, so i recommend you this one

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
<<< Not sure if I should get the RAID version. I hear that there are sometimes problems with onboard Raid controllers and the PCI bus? >>>

Regarding the RAID performance problems due to the PCI bus I think you might be referring to the VIA issues that limited the bandwidth and hence were a bottleneck in getting better performance out of a RAID setup.

Here is a link that goes into this issue a bit, and they have the official patch from VIA there which fixes it for various Raid cards/chips.

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/8.html