Can I do this with wireless? pls help

Hello. There is something I would like to do with a wireless network, but
since i subscribe to the theory that 'anything is possible if i don't know
what i am talking about', i need to know if it is possible and if so
SPECIFICALLY how to do it.

At work I have a WIRED 10/100 base T newtowrk. The partial T1 line comes
in, goes through a small router (a linksys router) then through 2 16port
hubs. Here is what i want to do: Add a Wireless node or hub to the system,
so if I bring in a laptop with an 802.11b card, or my iPAQ 4355, I can get
on the network. HOW DO I DO THIS? Can I just add a wireless hub to the
network?

Also, does anyone know a good link to an article or site explain to me in
very plain language how to set up wireless so that it is password encrypted
and thus not anyone with an 802.11x card can get on it? How do I set up the
WEP,etc. I am only partially a techie, and the instructions I have seen so
far don't seem to make sense. Connecting to the web thru wireless links
seems to be easy, i get on with no trouble, but in my home and with the
wireless system I want to add at work I would like to make sure it is
encrypted or password protected.

THANKS IN ADVANCE. Mark info (at) Kramden (dot.) net
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless help

    md wrote:

    >Hello. There is something I would like to do with a wireless network, but
    >since i subscribe to the theory that 'anything is possible if i don't know
    >what i am talking about', i need to know if it is possible and if so
    >SPECIFICALLY how to do it.
    >
    >At work I have a WIRED 10/100 base T newtowrk. The partial T1 line comes
    >in, goes through a small router (a linksys router) then through 2 16port
    >hubs. Here is what i want to do: Add a Wireless node or hub to the system,
    >so if I bring in a laptop with an 802.11b card, or my iPAQ 4355, I can get
    >on the network. HOW DO I DO THIS? Can I just add a wireless hub to the
    >network?
    >
    >Also, does anyone know a good link to an article or site explain to me in
    >very plain language how to set up wireless so that it is password encrypted
    >and thus not anyone with an 802.11x card can get on it? How do I set up the
    >WEP,etc. I am only partially a techie, and the instructions I have seen so
    >far don't seem to make sense. Connecting to the web thru wireless links
    >seems to be easy, i get on with no trouble, but in my home and with the
    >wireless system I want to add at work I would like to make sure it is
    >encrypted or password protected.
    >
    >THANKS IN ADVANCE. Mark info (at) Kramden (dot.) net

    Attaching an Access Point to the existing hub will be sufficient.

    This place usually has good tutorials:
    http://practicallynetworked.com/networking/alternative_net_wireless.htm

    Thanks for this...I am finding that 802.11b routers are pretty cheap.(as
    little as $20-30 these days) When you say 'access point' can that be a
    router or does it have to be some other specific access point? If it is a
    router, how can I hook that into my existing network?

    thanks again.

    mark

    "md" <info@NOSPAMPLEASEkramden.net> wrote in message
    > Hello. There is something I would like to do with a wireless network, but
    > since i subscribe to the theory that 'anything is possible if i don't know
    > what i am talking about', i need to know if it is possible and if so
    > SPECIFICALLY how to do it.

    What? All you need to do is plug a wireless access point into one of the
    hub's and that's it. You will have wireless.

    > At work I have a WIRED 10/100 base T newtowrk. The partial T1 line comes
    > in, goes through a small router (a linksys router) then through 2 16port
    > hubs. Here is what i want to do: Add a Wireless node or hub to the
    system,
    > so if I bring in a laptop with an 802.11b card, or my iPAQ 4355, I can get
    > on the network. HOW DO I DO THIS? Can I just add a wireless hub to the
    > network?

    Again a WAP applinace should do it.

    > Also, does anyone know a good link to an article or site explain to me in
    > very plain language how to set up wireless so that it is password
    encrypted
    > and thus not anyone with an 802.11x card can get on it? How do I set up
    the
    > WEP,etc. I am only partially a techie, and the instructions I have seen
    so
    > far don't seem to make sense. Connecting to the web thru wireless links
    > seems to be easy, i get on with no trouble, but in my home and with the
    > wireless system I want to add at work I would like to make sure it is
    > encrypted or password protected.

    If you have a Domain Controller on the network you may have some control on
    a wireless intruder in their ability to join and access resources on the
    network. I don't think it means that a machine on the network cannot be
    attacked.

    If there is a DHCP server on the network, then an intruder should be able to
    get a DHCP IP or use a static IP to lunch an attack, especially if the
    wireless device is within the trusted zone of the network. They could also
    use your network to lunch an attack on another network over the Internet.

    The best you could do in this situation is change the SSID on a routine
    basis and change WEP or WAP on a routine basis to prevent a wireless
    intruder from connecting to the wireless setup to launch an attack.

    The thing you may want to look at is not having the wireless setup in the
    trusted network zone. You could use a wireless router setup doing port
    forwarding from the wireless router into the trusted zone with a router to
    router VPN connection. An intruder attacks the wireless router sitting
    outside of your trusted network zone, the trusted zone is not so easily
    attacked.

    Duane :)

    > WHOA! You shouldn't be connecting anything to your corporate network
    unless
    > it's permitted by your company's security policy and you have permission.
    > Non-technical people adding a wireless access-point to the corporate
    network
    > puts the network at significant risk.

    I know this and I assume the OP has absolutely no *clue* as to what's
    happening here. The OP seems to be the *it* in some small company P2P LAN
    that he's about to get *hacked*.

    > For security reasons, you should never connect a wireless access point to
    > hub; only connect APs to switches.

    OK, I'll go with that one.

    > The SSID is not a security feature. It is simply the name of the network.
    > False security is worse than no security.

    What else is the OP going to do but rotate the SSID on an hour to hour basis
    so that the SSID cannot be cracked and the wireless exploited. :)

    > > The thing you may want to look at is not having the wireless setup in
    the
    > > trusted network zone.
    >
    > Absolutely. There should be a firewall between the wireless LAN and the
    > wired LAN.

    I agree too. I would do it with a home setup turning the wireless router
    into a WAP/wired switch in the trusted zone behind the WG. I do have a
    second IP from the ISP and may use it taking the BEFW11S4 and putting it
    into the DMZ out of the trusted zone. But in a home setup, I see the 11S4 as
    a WAP/wired switch in the TZ as being no worst than being the only appliance
    I had at the I had a couple a months ago.

    Duane :)

    "md" <info@NOSPAMPLEASEkramden.net> wrote in message
    > Hello. There is something I would like to do with a wireless network, but
    > since i subscribe to the theory that 'anything is possible if i don't know
    > what i am talking about', i need to know if it is possible and if so
    > SPECIFICALLY how to do it.
    >
    > At work I have a WIRED 10/100 base T newtowrk. The partial T1 line comes
    > in, goes through a small router (a linksys router) then through 2 16port
    > hubs. Here is what i want to do: Add a Wireless node or hub to the
    system,
    > so if I bring in a laptop with an 802.11b card, or my iPAQ 4355, I can get
    > on the network. HOW DO I DO THIS? Can I just add a wireless hub to the
    > network?

    What you need to do is to find a cat 5 calbe and link your AP between your
    hub and the 10/100 baset interface on your AP. Then every thing will be OK.
    The rest is to configure your IEEE 802.11b card correctly. Either get an IP
    address by DHCP or manually configured. Just like the cable network does.

    You may assume that your AP acts as a wireless hub.

    Hope this helps.

    > Also, does anyone know a good link to an article or site explain to me in
    > very plain language how to set up wireless so that it is password
    encrypted
    > and thus not anyone with an 802.11x card can get on it? How do I set up
    the
    > WEP,etc. I am only partially a techie, and the instructions I have seen
    so
    > far don't seem to make sense. Connecting to the web thru wireless links
    > seems to be easy, i get on with no trouble, but in my home and with the
    > wireless system I want to add at work I would like to make sure it is
    > encrypted or password protected.
    >
    > THANKS IN ADVANCE. Mark info (at) Kramden (dot.) net

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking