Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Messenger has attached itself to OE, so that it starts whenever OE starts,
and then keeps nagging about configuring and signing on. I don't want to use
it and I don't want it running, but I can't find out how it got attached or
how to detach it. I can't even close it: there's a message about some other
applcaition (presumably OE) requiring that it keeps running. How do I use
OE without also having Messenger running?

Windows XP SP2, OE 6.00.2900.2180

Mac

"James Hahn" <JHAHN@msn.com> wrote in message
> Messenger has attached itself to OE, so that it starts whenever OE starts,
> and then keeps nagging about configuring and signing on. I don't want to
> use it and I don't want it running, but I can't find out how it got
> attached or how to detach it. I can't even close it: there's a message
> about some other applcaition (presumably OE) requiring that it keeps
> running. How do I use OE without also having Messenger running?
>
> Windows XP SP2, OE 6.00.2900.2180

The quickest is OE>view>layout>disable contacts pane.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. IE/OE.

James Hahn wrote:
> Messenger has attached itself to OE, so that it starts whenever OE
> starts, and then keeps nagging about configuring and signing on. I
> don't want to use it and I don't want it running, but I can't find
> out how it got attached or how to detach it. I can't even close it:
> there's a message about some other applcaition (presumably OE)
> requiring that it keeps running. How do I use OE without also having
> Messenger running?
> Windows XP SP2, OE 6.00.2900.2180

I have my contacts pane enabled, I like it that way - that's why they
make chocolate and vanilla?

Courtesy of Frank Saunders MVP -
To prevent MS Messenger from loading with OE you must do BOTH of these
things if you don't want to edit the Registry:

In Tools | Options uncheck the option to automatically logon to
Messenger.

AND

In View | Layout uncheck the Contacts Pane.

OR

Go to:

Go to Start | Run and type

Regedit

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Add a New, DWORD value called Hide Messenger and set the value to 2.
(This step is required to prevent a long delay when opening OE with the
Contacts pane enabled)

To just stop it from running at all follow this advice from Kelly:

"Only 3 Registry edits are required to stop Messenger and get rid of the
delay in OE. Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client

Add the following values as New, DWord Values:

PreventRun
PreventAutoRun

Set the value of each of these to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Add a New, DWORD value called Hide Messenger and set the value to 2.
(This step is required to prevent a long delay when opening OE with the
Contacts pane enabled)
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings James,

Simply close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

...and you keep the contacts pane.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"James Hahn" <JHAHN@msn.com> wrote in message news:uIiboZ2NFHA.568@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Messenger has attached itself to OE, so that it starts whenever OE starts, and then keeps
> nagging about configuring and signing on. I don't want to use it and I don't want it
> running, but I can't find out how it got attached or how to detach it. I can't even close
> it: there's a message about some other applcaition (presumably OE) requiring that it keeps
> running. How do I use OE without also having Messenger running?
>
> Windows XP SP2, OE 6.00.2900.2180

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Thanks for the quick response - that certainly works, but is there a more
complex way that allows me to retain the contacts pane?

" mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message
> snip <
>
> The quickest is OE>view>layout>disable contacts pane.
>
> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Mac

> Thanks for the quick response - that certainly works, but is there a more
> complex way that allows me to retain the contacts pane?

Not sure why you would want to keep that? It takes up space on the screen.
I use create mail>click to, and the contacts are their in the address book.

use OE>view>layout to experiment on screen views, it's fun :)

Another setting in OE is at tools>options>general>auto logon to wm, disable
that.

You could try start>run>msconfig>ok>start up>disable it there.
But hold off for that for now, someone else may know a better way, i only
just started getting interested in messenger.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. IE/OE.

peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

If you don't already have it download Adaware SE and get the Messenger Ctrl
Plug-ins (there are two) and you can disable it there easily. There's also
a handy VX2 cleaner there. http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
You can also disable it in IE6 Tools/Manage Add-ons.
--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"James Hahn" <JHAHN@msn.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the quick response - that certainly works, but is there a more
> complex way that allows me to retain the contacts pane?
>
> " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message
>> snip <
>>
>> The quickest is OE>view>layout>disable contacts pane.
>>
>> --
>> Regards Steve.
>> MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I have AdAware installed, but I didn't realize it has this option. If I'd
thought for a moment I should have realized that AdAware is installed for
essentially the same reason that don't I want Messenger starting.

"Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote in message
> If you don't already have it download Adaware SE and get the Messenger
> Ctrl Plug-ins (there are two) and you can disable it there easily.
> There's also a handy VX2 cleaner there.
> http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
> You can also disable it in IE6 Tools/Manage Add-ons.
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
> "James Hahn" <JHAHN@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the quick response - that certainly works, but is there a more
>> complex way that allows me to retain the contacts pane?
>>
>> " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message
>>> snip <
>>>
>>> The quickest is OE>view>layout>disable contacts pane.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards Steve.
>>> MS-MVP. IE/OE.

peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

You'll see those plug-ins (amongst others) on the right hand side of the
main download page.
I prefer not to try to remove parts of Windows as it sometimes screws things
up, so diisabling it is sufficient I find.

--
>I have AdAware installed, but I didn't realize it has this option. If I'd
>thought for a moment I should have realized that AdAware is installed for
>essentially the same reason that don't I want Messenger starting.
>
> "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote in message
>> If you don't already have it download Adaware SE and get the Messenger
>> Ctrl Plug-ins (there are two) and you can disable it there easily.
>> There's also a handy VX2 cleaner there.
>> http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
>> You can also disable it in IE6 Tools/Manage Add-ons.
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
>> "James Hahn" <JHAHN@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the quick response - that certainly works, but is there a
>>> more complex way that allows me to retain the contacts pane?
>>>
>>> " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Thanks to everyone. Messenger is now gone and I am viewing the contacts
pane.