K7S5A + DDR problem

G

Hi all, I have a K7S5A board running an Athlon XP1700. I've had this board since Christmas, running it with 393 MB SDRAM. Decided to upgrade to DDR, so I ordered a 512MB DDR. When I got it, the MB wouldn't register it. I figured it was a bad chip. Ordered a new Samsung 512 DDR, and it won't work either. The machine will not post. I've tried resetting the BIOS. Did research at the ECS site, and tried thier support's suggestion for BIOS settings, nothing works. I've determined that I may need a bigger PSU (I'm running a 300W). The problem is that my Dad has the same board, having the same problem with DDR. He bought a 460W PSU, and it still doesn't work. (We are in separate states, so we can't swap and compare) This seems to be a major issue with these boards, judging by the ECSwebsite, but I can't get any answers from them. I've been happy with the board running on my old SDRAM and never had a problem, but I want it to work with my DDR now. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Current system includes:
2 HDs, one 40G and one 20G
1 CD burner, 1 DVD ROM
1 ATI 32MB video card
300W PSU
Athlon XP1700
NO DDR, or will run with 393MB SDRAM :)

Tapout

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
I have had post problems with these in the past. Strangely enough, the problems I had stemmed from the PS2 mouse. Try unplugging the mouse.

I don't know why, but it worked for me. Go buy a $15 USB mouse if this works.

<This space left intentionally blank to avoid the embarrasment of not having a sig>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
umm, do you know what revision this board is?
i have an ecs k7s5a running with 256 megs ddr, and can use a ps2 mouse, or a usb mouse...
my board is a rev. 5
my friend has 512 megs of ddr and an xp1600+ on this board, and he can use ps2 or usb, with a rev.4 board.
to check, look at the white sticker next to the pci slots.
both computers i talked about are running a 350w psu.
and my system is an athlon 900.
try updating the bios...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

I assume you're not trying to run both types of RAM together? No can do.

Might be an idea to post your BIOS settings for your memory.

Could be the PSU. I use 400W supplies for these mobos.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

No, I'm not running both types of memory together. :)
The system does almost nothing when turned on with the DDR installed. No video, no beeps, just drive lights going on and off. This is really frustrating.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
the way you through your money around buying multiple sticks of DDR ram to see if it works makes me think you have enough money to play around with, in which case i would suggest just getting a new MOBO and not having to deal with these problems at all

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try

Yep. Great advice!

Can't solve the guy's problem, so you just suggest a way out by throwing cash at it.

Try double checking your spelling too.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

Nice post! I sent back the first stick of DDR, fool. And if you really think I should buy a new motherboard, you didn't tell me which one I should buy, in your humble opinion, of course. Geez! I thought you people were supposed to be helpful and friendly.

pat

Expert
Try to unplug the powersupply before reseting the BIOS. keep the jumper at least 1 minute, the remove it, plug the power cord and reboot.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
I feel fairly confident suggesting that your powersupply can't support your system. If you search under my username in this section you'll see that I've outlined how to find the right powersupply. I don't recommend 300W anymore since everyone is starting to have more than 256 MB of memory and multiple HD's or CD/DVD/CDRW drives.

The fact that your Dad has a problem though bothers me, but keep in mind that you aren't there so you can't compare. It's always possible that you can get a lemon board, but in your case you should try a better PSU before giving up. Reset your bios settings to default as well just incase something went bad in there. The board isn't faulty most likely, but it can't handle the extra juice from the memory.

Back in the day I would have argued with anyone who told me to get a 400W powersupply, but nowadays I recommend everyone to have one.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>