P4 Motherboard Sug. Needed

Tapout

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
I recently showed a friend of mine an Athlon System that I had put together and he decided that he would like one too. The only problem is, he has a couple hudred thou in Intel stock, and wants a P4.

So here's the call to arms for all you P4 fans, <b>if one of your best friends asked you to put together a machine, which motherboard would you use?</b>

Thanks in advance!

<This space left intentionally blank to avoid the embarrasment of not having a sig>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Just did this for a friend. Soyo Dragon Ultra. Got PC2700 from overclockerzstore.com. He REALLY likes it. Others will argue that RDRAM is better for P4. Tom said if you go with the 333mhz it's not that bad a sacrifice with the DDR. Just my opinion.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I just bought an Abit TH7II-RAID. I haven't gotten Windows to install on the RAID yet, but there are a couple of things I haven't tried.

Otherwise, the board rocks, and future BIOS revisions will only make it better.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Tapout

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2002
I'm not sure if this matters, but I will probably be building around a Northwood 2G, maybe a 2.2. Does anyone have any experiences to relate regarding these? Should I be looking at DDR333 or RDRAM? The price is virtually the same, and the latency with the RDRAM may not be such a big issue with such a fast processor...

Help?

Thanks in Advance.

<This space left intentionally blank to avoid the embarrasment of not having a sig>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Friend of mine has the 2.2. Waste of money IMO, but if you've got the cash to burn, why not?
He got the Gigabyte i850 (RDRAM) board. Good board, actually. Dual BIOS, only i850 board with a full 6 PCI slots, and (most importantly) it's a really sweet blue color.
Only downside is that it's not a great overclocker.
My 1.6A is currently at 2.0, I'll be able to get it higher tonight.

As for RDRAM vs. DDR, I'd say RDRAM. The only real reason to get DDR is if you don't like Rambus (the company).
Latency will be no different with a higher processor, as the front side bus is the same. Latency is not really an issue though, especially when you overclock decently.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!