overclocking on Soltek SL-75DRV2

G

I have a Soltek SL-75DRV2, 1800XP Athlon, 512 MB of PC2100. The fan a NoiseControl Silverado with Arctic Silver II. The case is a PC-70 Lian Li (aluminum with a lot of fans).

Any suggestions on how I can overclock this system? IE - what dipswitches to change, etc. I'm a bit of a newb on this stuff.

FatBurger

Illustrious
First, I'd recommend a different heatsink. The Noisecontrol Silverado will not allow you to overclock at all. The Alpha Pal8046 is the best choice at the moment, as it uses the four mounting holes around the socket, and provides the current best performance on the market. $35 for just the heatisnk (no fan), and $47 for the heatsink and a noisy fan from <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=62&manufactory=1463&DEPA=1" target="_new">here</A>. A close second place would go to the Swiftech MCX462. It's $69 with a fan <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=62&manufactory=1437&DEPA=1" target="_new">here</A>.

After that, there should be settings in your BIOS to change your multiplier (currently at 15) and front side bus speed (currently at 133). What brand of RAM do you have? That will be a major factor in your overclocking success.

Raise the front side bus slowly, increasing voltage (currently at 1.75v) at signs of instability. If 3dMark freezes, then you're either overclocked too high or your voltage isn't high enough.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

G

Ok, I will try this. The ram is from Crucial. It's buffered and has ECC. I think It's CL2 but am not certain. Maybe CL2.5.

Are you *sure* about the Silverado not being up to the job? Tom's Hardware gave it a great score. Plus the case is fan packed and aluminum.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
<<After that, there should be settings in your BIOS to change your multiplier (currently at 15) and front side bus speed (currently at 133). >>

Errrrr...... uhhhhhh..... 15? :O

That'd be a SCREAMER! hehe

The multiplier for an 1800XP+ is 11.5

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
So I assume that you have a 75-DRV2 stabily running a AthlonXP? because I have had (still having) all sorts of instability problems. Even using Solteks's new K4 BIOS.....

G

Had no problems at all. It runs fine. Although with some CRAPPY games it tends to have trouble but that's a result of the CRAPPY game's programing (like Dominion Wars). I'm also disappointed that WinXP does not run Mindrover yet. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

But I digress. My system has been running fine. MAybe your memory is shoddy?

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well i've tried two sticks in there, one at a time and each time i had crashes....so i think the sticks are fine..perhaps the ram settings aren't though, but i have no idea what the settings for my RAM should be

FatBurger

Illustrious
Heh, my P4 is ingraining 100MHz bus speeds in my mind. Thanks

The Noisecontrol Silverado is a great heatsink for lower clocked Athlons (below 1.2). That review is fairly old, which explains the score.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

TRENDING THREADS