trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
hey does any1 have experience on nforce chipset/motherboard? I'm thinking about building a new computer. I was just wondering what do you guys think about this? Have u heard of the Abit NV7M nforce motherboard? Is that good or there are better? Should i just buy separated components? Thank you.

Collective_8472

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2002
I have the Asus A7N266-E, and am in love. the twinbank architecture makes the memory fly!
An onboard Geforce2 MX GPU (up to 32MB shared memory) and a audio system that has a Dolby Digital certification (i.e. is equal to a SB Live!) and an onboard LAN card (mine came w/o, $20 i didn't need to spend on a NIC i already had). basically, when this thing i have (outfitted with a Geforce3 and SB Live! platinum outboard) is no longer my primary system, it'll still have plenty of spunk even with only a NIC for an exp. card. GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
For trying to save money and build a budget system, the Nforce is a great board. THe board I like is the Asus A7N266-E. It's got the best Nforce performance, and all the features of the Nforce board running. The soundcard is still one of the best out on the market, and while the video is slugish, it's free, and you can still throw in an AGP card if you want to upgrade for later.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but it's my #1 pick for a budget comp.

If you don't need all the integrated stuff, go with a KT333 board, or at least a KT266A. They do perform better than the Nforce and cost about the same for the board, maybe a bit less.

You can't realy go wrong with either solution though.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
Asus is pretty nice, but I heard the nforce MSI K7N420 pro is pretty nice. I readed a review from Ace's Hardware and it outperforms KT266. It performs pretty nice. The memory twin bank seems to perform well. Any other comments people?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I believe you mean the KT266a, not the KT266. The performance difference was only 5% or so (if that). The Asus board overclocked nicely, however.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If you plan on using the on-board video for a budget system, then get it. If you plan on mostly using it for internet, office applications and maybe some gaming then go for it. If you system is mostly for gaming, then forget it and get a cheeper Via kt266a based board instead. Any hard-core gamer will be disapointed in the video performance of the on-board video.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Consider the Asus A7N266-C. nForce 415D-based. No onboard video. And nForce performs on-par with the KT266a on average. Better mp3-encoding and better divx-encoding. Little worse in games. (With onboard Geforce2 disabled, but still sitting there bugging your AGP-bus with its disabled inputs) Have not yet read any reviews of 415D.

Greetz,
Bikeman