Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Well...got my processor but cannot get it to function in windowsXP at 133FSB. It will post at 133 but will not enter windows.If I roll FSB back to 100..everything is fine. Is there a KT266a chipset in my future? Bios is flashed to the latest update which supposedly makes allowance for the XP processor.

System
Iwill KK266
512 PC133
50X Cdrom
HP Cd Burner
300 watt Enlight PS
Glaciator CPU Cooler

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kronos on 02/26/02 08:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It should work, there's no reason why it wouldn't. What are your temps (CPU and Mobo)?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Kronos,

The KK266 and Athlon XP is a 50/50 proposition for success from what I've gathered. I haven't bothered to upgrade from my 850 tb because from what I've read, it's not worth risking the $. As I understand it, it's some kind of timing issue between the board and CPU though usually it simply won't post. Hitting the reset button on cold boots sometimes gets it to post.

See this thread: <A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?s=ac4dce96f49e6ac72fc8d7be5f0b7b7b&threadid=105373" target="_new">http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?s=ac4dce96f49e6ac72fc8d7be5f0b7b7b&threadid=105373</A>. It's typical but holds out some hope.

Here's a VERY long thread on the issue: <A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=80953&highlight=what+makes+kk266" target="_new">http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=80953&highlight=what+makes+kk266</A>

As best I can gather, some of the things to try include lowering your v'core to a setting of 1.65 - 1.7V, raising the vio 5% (memory included here and make sure it stays cool) and also make sure you have a top quality power supply (check AMD's approved list, a 1700XP draws quite a bit more than your old Duron). Even with all that, it still sounds like a crap shoot.

At this point, I'm holding out on a $50 1.4 t-bird before I upgrade my KK :wink: .

Good Luck,

BW

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Temps are Case 27C CPU 37C idle 42C loaded.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Thanx for the links bw37. Tried the recommendations there but no go. KT333 chipset? YOU BET! Any brand recommendations?

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Asus and Gigabyte are always very good manufacturers. Asus is usually better for OCing and tends to be just a bit faster, Gigabyte MBs tend to be a bit cheeper.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
A quote from the Iwill "support" BBS (strickly self-support I might add):

i have installed at least 75 kk266 series boards with all of the different flavors (-r, +, -r+), I have never once had a problem with any of those board I sold, However, it was common knowledge at all of the forum sites I visit that this series would not be intended to work well with the xp series chips. I am now trying 4 newly purchased kk266+ boards for a customer who insists on having an ISA slot, I thought at first this shouldn't be a problem because someone out there has had to have found a solution to this xp issue by now.
Unfortunately I can't get any of these four board to post at all with my also newly purchased 4- 1g duron's, or my 1800xp+ or 1800mp+. This is really to bad because my customer is demanding 2 pc's by wednesday and the other 2 by friday. I have got these one system working by substituting my kk266 board out of my personal machine but I have to press the reset switch after power on to get it going. None of the kk266+ boards will even go that far. It is really unfortunate that as great of a board as this was for me and my customers, I just can't get it going with processors that I buy these days. The customer that buys about half of these boards that I sold demands ISA and this is the only board that any of my 3 distributors carry that has ISA on it. I would love to hear how anybody got around this issue because my customer is really going to be upset when I tell him that I got the systems done and completed but they just dont power up.

These 4 systems are each using an antec case with 300W supplies, 1 gig durons, 20gb WD HDD, and an ATI xpert2000pro 32meg agp video, with 1 stick 128mb pc133 ram. These systems wont even be equipped with a cd, floppy, sound, or network card. This should have been soooo easy, instead I got them all set up and they wont power on
I rest my case,

BW