webcam - no picture or sound with messenger

I am new to all this!....I have succesfully installed a webcam to my laptop
and am trying to use it with msn messenger.
The instant message works but I cannot see or receive sound or picture.
I think it may be due to my firewall but am unsure of how to get around it.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Emma.
5 answers Last reply
More about webcam picture sound messenger

    "ELRichardson" wrote:

    > I am new to all this!....I have succesfully installed a webcam to my laptop
    > and am trying to use it with msn messenger.
    > The instant message works but I cannot see or receive sound or picture.
    > I think it may be due to my firewall but am unsure of how to get around it.
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks, Emma.

    A bit more info:
    Have followed advice given in reply to an earlier similar query (titled
    'audio messenger' on 04/02/05).
    Managed to connect remote assistance with my brother successfully.
    Used msn messenger wizard (under help menu) to check camera..no obvious
    problem with that...but still no picture or audio..
    Thanks, Emma

    Emma:
    Please look up the following required information:
    1.Windows OS and SP installed.
    2.Webcam make and model.
    3.Is the webcam model shown under the Imaging Devices in
    the Device Manager?
    4.Webcam driver version number.
    5.What firewall you have?
    6.Open Messenger and under Tools, run the Audio/Video
    Tunning Wizard. Also check the webcam settings and see if
    you have video.
    Thanks

    Thanks for the response.
    1. I have windows xp home edition (computers are quite new to me and I'm not
    familiar with all the terminology - but I presume that means I have windows
    os and sp installed?!)
    2. PC Line: PCLW310
    3. Yes - it's showing in the imaging devices under device manager
    4. 4.2.922.70
    5. The firewall is Norton (I turned off the windows one as Norton recommended)
    6. I've run the audio/video wizard, and do have video.
    Thanks,Emma.

    "Efrain" wrote:

    > Emma:
    > Please look up the following required information:
    > 1.Windows OS and SP installed.
    > 2.Webcam make and model.
    > 3.Is the webcam model shown under the Imaging Devices in
    > the Device Manager?
    > 4.Webcam driver version number.
    > 5.What firewall you have?
    > 6.Open Messenger and under Tools, run the Audio/Video
    > Tunning Wizard. Also check the webcam settings and see if
    > you have video.
    > Thanks

    Emma:
    Your webcam PC Line W310 does not allow for Video
    conferencing, please read the specifications that came
    with it. Are you located in Europe? Next time try buying
    a Logitech Quick Cam Communicate, part number 961362-0403
    that can be installed on your laptop. They are the best
    and work with MSN Messenger 7.0, and Microsoft has teamed
    up with Logitech to provide integrated video and audio by
    mid year, starting in USA and Germany. I regret that I
    can't be of any help. Please access the Microsoft site
    and order a free CD with the Windows XP SP-2 updates.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/c
    dorder/en_us/default.mspx

    (The specs that came with the webcam are very limited and don't give much
    info at all - I'll be getting logitech next time)
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
    Emma.

Webcams Messenger Windows XP