Newbie Questions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 13, 2004 11:03:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

1. Is this game always 3rd person or am I not finding a keystroke somewhere
to make it first person?

2. Is there an options menu in-game to change things like resolution and
clipping plane?

3. How do I resize my chat window?

Thanks!

More about : newbie questions

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:47:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Henry:

> 1. Is this game always 3rd person or am I not finding a keystroke
somewhere to make it first person?
F11 - one press will fix the camera, another will put you into First
Person mode, third press will put it back to 3rd Person. Hit it by mistake
once running for my life, and couldn't work out why I ran offscreen!
I will add though (and as a personal preference!) that 3rd person is a
lot more user friendly - you can be fighting a critter, and moving the
camera to see how many others are about to jump on you!

2. Is there an options menu in-game to change things like resolution and
clipping plane?
OK, when you first load DAOC on the character screen, you can click
Options and change everything. In-Game, click the Option Button (bottom of
character sheet) and you can change clip-plane and such like, but not
Resolution.

3. How do I resize my chat window?
Top-Right of the box is a little cross or something - click and drag
away to resize. Once you have it to the size you want, you can also click
and drag the middle bar to make the chat/message boxes different heights.

Hope that helps!

Dan
June 14, 2004 6:28:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Thanks, Dan, that got me pointed in the right direction.

"Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hope that helps!
>
> Dan

June 14, 2004 9:56:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

The compass might be slightly more reliable than me ;)  In fact, I would say
it was a LOT more reliable than me!

Dan

"HenryV" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Dan, that got me pointed in the right direction.
>

> "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > Dan

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 2:45:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

1. F11

2. Options before you actually log into your character.

3. Click and hold on the upper right hand corner of your chat window, then
drag it to the size you want.

Maggdalena

> 1. Is this game always 3rd person or am I not finding a keystroke
somewhere
> to make it first person?
>
> 2. Is there an options menu in-game to change things like resolution and
> clipping plane?
>
> 3. How do I resize my chat window?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 2:57:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Guess I should read the whole thread before I reply....hehe

"Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:o LudnX0ioYmRJ1DdRVn-iQ@adelphia.com...
> 1. F11
>
> 2. Options before you actually log into your character.
>
> 3. Click and hold on the upper right hand corner of your chat window,
then
> drag it to the size you want.
>

> Maggdalena
>

> "HenryV" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
> > 1. Is this game always 3rd person or am I not finding a keystroke
> somewhere
> > to make it first person?
> >
> > 2. Is there an options menu in-game to change things like resolution and
> > clipping plane?
> >
> > 3. How do I resize my chat window?
> >
> > Thanks!

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:43:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

hehehe where's the fun in that?!

Dan

> Guess I should read the whole thread before I reply....hehe
>

> "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:o LudnX0ioYmRJ1DdRVn-iQ@adelphia.com...
> > 1. F11
> >
> > 2. Options before you actually log into your character.
> >
> > 3. Click and hold on the upper right hand corner of your chat window,
> then
> > drag it to the size you want.
> >

> > Maggdalena
> >

> > "HenryV" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. Is this game always 3rd person or am I not finding a keystroke
> > somewhere
> > > to make it first person?
> > >
> > > 2. Is there an options menu in-game to change things like resolution
and
> > > clipping plane?
> > >
> > > 3. How do I resize my chat window?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 10:43:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

I'm just glad that my answers didn't contradict what other folks said, or
I'd have felt really stupid...lol

Magg

> hehehe where's the fun in that?!
>
> Dan
>
> "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Guess I should read the whole thread before I reply....hehe
> >

> > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > news:o LudnX0ioYmRJ1DdRVn-iQ@adelphia.com...
> > > 1. F11
> > >
> > > 2. Options before you actually log into your character.
> > >
> > > 3. Click and hold on the upper right hand corner of your chat window,
> > then
> > > drag it to the size you want.
> > >

> > > Maggdalena
> > >

> > > "HenryV" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
> > > somewhere

> and

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 6:52:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Unless you had the correct answers and then somebody else could feel really
stupid ;)

Mileoland - Iseult
Vorkeff - MLF

> I'm just glad that my answers didn't contradict what other folks said, or
> I'd have felt really stupid...lol
>

> Magg
>
> "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > hehehe where's the fun in that?!
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > Guess I should read the whole thread before I reply....hehe
> > >

> > > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > news:o LudnX0ioYmRJ1DdRVn-iQ@adelphia.com...

> > > then

> > and

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:31:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
answers! hehehe

Dan

"Travis Smith" <cypher2@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Unless you had the correct answers and then somebody else could feel
really
> stupid ;)
>
> Mileoland - Iseult
> Vorkeff - MLF
>
> "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > I'm just glad that my answers didn't contradict what other folks said,
or
> > I'd have felt really stupid...lol
> >

> > Magg
> >
> > "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > hehehe where's the fun in that?!
> > >
> > > Dan
> > >
> > > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> window,

> resolution
> > > and

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:31:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Now THAT would have been fun :p

Magg

> The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> answers! hehehe
>
> Dan
>
> "Travis Smith" <cypher2@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > Unless you had the correct answers and then somebody else could feel
> really
> > stupid ;)
> >
> > Mileoland - Iseult
> > Vorkeff - MLF
> >
> > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm just glad that my answers didn't contradict what other folks said,
> or
> > > I'd have felt really stupid...lol
> > >

> > > Magg
> > >
> > > "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > window,

> keystroke

> > resolution

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:48:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Hi,

Why wouldn't we have three sets of answer: Alb Way, Hib Way, and Mid Way!
There'd probably even be a fourth: Mythic Way! <g>

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Dan English wrote:

> The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> answers! hehehe
>
> Dan
>
> "Travis Smith" <cypher2@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > Unless you had the correct answers and then somebody else could feel
> really
> > stupid ;)
> >
> > Mileoland - Iseult
> > Vorkeff - MLF
> >
> > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm just glad that my answers didn't contradict what other folks said,
> or
> > > I'd have felt really stupid...lol
> > >

> > > Magg
> > >
> > > "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > window,

> keystroke

> > resolution

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Yeah, then the poor noobies would have no idea what was going on, probably
figure everyone who plays this game is a bunch of morons... *doesn't look
at anyone in particular from Iseult*

"Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> answers! hehehe
>
> Dan
>
> "Travis Smith" <cypher2@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > Unless you had the correct answers and then somebody else could feel
> really
> > stupid ;)
> >
> > Mileoland - Iseult
> > Vorkeff - MLF
> >
> > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm just glad that my answers didn't contradict what other folks said,
> or
> > > I'd have felt really stupid...lol
> > >

> > > Magg
> > >
> > > "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > window,

> keystroke

> > resolution

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:33:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Let's not be forgetting the 5th way - the "leet", sorry, l337, way...
Probably involves some really cool ways of typing, macroing and otherwise
looking like a complete banana...

"I r teh l337, I will WTFOMGpwn j00!!!!111one"

and various other catchy phrases. Actually, it's scary how well I can do
that...

Dan

"David Hall" <davehall@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
news:p ine.A41.4.58.0406151146430.163154@homer07.u.washington.edu...
> Hi,
>
> Why wouldn't we have three sets of answer: Alb Way, Hib Way, and Mid Way!
> There'd probably even be a fourth: Mythic Way! <g>
>
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Dan English wrote:
>
> > The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> > answers! hehehe
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > "Travis Smith" <cypher2@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > > Unless you had the correct answers and then somebody else could feel
> > really
> > > stupid ;)
> > >
> > > Mileoland - Iseult
> > > Vorkeff - MLF
> > >
> > > "Maggdalena" <Maggdalena_is@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > or

> > > window,

> > keystroke

> > > resolution

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:15:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

"Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote "Actually, it's scary how
well I can do that..."

Ah yes Dan....it's very scary :p

Magg
June 16, 2004 3:19:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Fun for you maybe. But I'd be back to being confused (worse than I already
am). Hehe.

I did have another question though...

I'm an Everquest refuge that's looking for something new so I'm doing the
DAOC 7 day trial thing. So I just have the original DAOC with no expansions.
Some of the things I've been reading are suggesting that you can't do RvR
with out gear from the expansions. True?

While not trying to start a debate I also hear that DAOC is bot paradise.
True?

Thanks!

"Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> answers! hehehe
>
> Dan
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:19:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

If you're interested in playing solo, then you would need to get ToA and all
the [stuff] that goes along with it. If you're playing in groups then it's
not as needed, but still nice.

As for buffbots, they are everywhere.

Travis Smith

"HenryV" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
news:D 1Wzc.42940$eu.41878@attbi_s02...
> Fun for you maybe. But I'd be back to being confused (worse than I already
> am). Hehe.
>
> I did have another question though...
>
> I'm an Everquest refuge that's looking for something new so I'm doing the
> DAOC 7 day trial thing. So I just have the original DAOC with no
expansions.
> Some of the things I've been reading are suggesting that you can't do RvR
> with out gear from the expansions. True?
>
> While not trying to start a debate I also hear that DAOC is bot paradise.
> True?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> > answers! hehehe
> >
> > Dan

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Henry

>that you can't do RvR with out gear from the expansions. True?
The difference is that the artifacts from Trials of Atlantis do make a
difference in a battle - not sure about group vs. group, but someone with
artifacts vs. someone without is clear. Same goes for Standard Gear vs.
Crafted Gear...

>While not trying to start a debate I also hear that DAOC is bot paradise.
True?
I'd say yes, true. While I have multiple accounts, I don't use a
buffbot, but you will often see a group of low-level characters storming
around with a level 50 cleric stuck to them. Again, the difference between
a buffed person vs. a non-buffed person is noticeable.

Not sure about the American Servers mind you - I am over in Jolly Old
England on the Euro servers, and there are various places in the game world
that are littered with clerics standing silently, named BuffyBuffer or
Buffffffer AFK and such like. Even clerics that were once main characters
have been relegated to being buff bots. I also believe that people now use
speed bots... Joy.

The subject of Bots on forums is a widely debated subject, and often
degenerates into a flame fest - how to fix it, ban them, etc etc... I've
not done much RVR mind you (Realm Rank 2 necro is about it!), so I am not an
exactly reliable source, but with a Scout in Battlegrounds you can see the
buffed people steamrolling the non-buffed. But then, us Albs form a zerg,
and buffed or not, you will go down. Messy! When in doubt, Zerg it out!

Good luck matey!

Dan
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:26:00 PM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, HenryV wrote:

> Fun for you maybe. But I'd be back to being confused (worse than I already
> am). Hehe.
>
> I did have another question though...
>
> I'm an Everquest refuge that's looking for something new so I'm doing the
> DAOC 7 day trial thing. So I just have the original DAOC with no expansions.
> Some of the things I've been reading are suggesting that you can't do RvR
> with out gear from the expansions. True?

The first expansion, Shrouded Isles is not a whole lot different than
Classic in terms of use, look and feel, items, etc. In fact, really soon
now Classic is going to go away and everyone will be required to have SI
or the Gold Edition (which is both put together). Gold is currently
selling for $19.99 RETAIL, so it is affordable.

The newer expansion, Trials of Atlantis, *IS* significantly different.
Look and feel have been improved. The areas "uncovered" by it required
the changes (underwater, for example). And you need to know that ToA was
designed from the start for those of us with several Level 50 toons,
giving us new challenges in what are called Master Level (ML) abilities
and Artifacts (special enchancement items). These are not what the
average newbie, outside of starting with a bought (as opposed to a *bot*
<g>) 50 account will have to deal with. ToA's minimum level was set at
40 for getting artifacts and MLs.

The assumption was that the 40 to 50s were already RvRed out, and that the
new abilities and items would spark new life. It has, and the free
expansion, New Frontiers, (imagine that, a *free* expansion, you EQ
player!) will do even more. The new Realm Abilities change may lessen the
need for ToA items and MLs or they may enhance them. With the way all of
them are being nerfed in beta, who can tell anymore?

> While not trying to start a debate I also hear that DAOC is bot paradise.
> True?

I'm not quite sure what "bot paradise" would mean. Is it easy to run two
accounts? Yes. Mythic has done many things (including Windowed Mode) to
make it work well for the average player. Do bots, either power leveling
or buffing, improve your success in the game? A definite yes. More so in
PvE than RvR, but ymmv. They are like MLs and Artifacts. If you are a
"Power Player" you are going to have all of them. Do they make you
Achilles? No, more like Ajax the Greater! <g>

IMHO, the main difference between DAoC and EQ is that we strive to make
the experience more realistic. The day DAoC has sword-swinging tigers and
frogs is the day I give it up. I don't do EQ, FF XI, and any other
"cartoonish" RPGs. If that's the experience you are looking for, DAoC is
unlikely to fulfill you needs. If you want realistic weapons and armor,
fight dynamics, sieges (luv the new boiling oil), DAoC For The Win! <g>

> Thanks!
>

> "Dan English" <dan.junk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The fun would REALLY start if we had three completely different sets of
> > answers! hehehe
> >
> > Dan

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:49:05 PM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:19:37 GMT, HenryV <noway@nohow.com> wrote:

> I'm an Everquest refuge that's looking for something new so I'm doing the
> DAOC 7 day trial thing. So I just have the original DAOC with no
> expansions.
> Some of the things I've been reading are suggesting that you can't do RvR
> with out gear from the expansions. True?

No. But if you want to win, you will eventually have the complete game.
That's quite some time off, though. First you need to get a character to
at least 40, preferably 50. You'll notice when you get there. You will not
need the stuff, nor have access to it, in the lower level RvR areas.

> While not trying to start a debate I also hear that DAOC is bot paradise.
> True?

Behind each great hero stands a ... buffbot!

Actually, only some classes really need them, mostly the pure warrior
types. It is kinda an alternative to having real friends. I'd say a live
cleric is a lot more useful than a bot cleric, but a bot cleric is a lot
more useful than no cleric at all.

And of course, paladins are tankbots. Or at least it feels like that
sometimes. ^_^

--
Current DAoC character:
Itlandsen, lvl 50 shield Paladin, Gaheris

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

> Ah yes Dan....it's very scary :p

I owe my vast knowledge of leetness to this site:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/leet.html

Take the fight to their own doorstep! hehehe

Dan "Needs to get out more" English
!