Best Unit for Domestic and Overseas Roaming?

I realize that there is not an easy simple answer to this question,
but can anyone give me any guidance on the/a best unit and Verizon
plan that will accommodate roaming both within and outside the U.S.?

At least part of the question I am struggling with is that GSM is
broadly used where I will be traveling overseas, however GSM coverage
in the SW U.S., where I live, seems to be pretty sparse -- mostly only
within some cities and along some sections of the interstates.

I do understand that at least dual frequency GSM will be needed, to
accommodate both U.S. and overseas locations, but how to obtain
broader coverage within the U.S.? Dual mode also? Is there a unit,
and plan, that handles all this without having to apply for a second
mortgage?

Is there some other more appropriate place that you know of where I
should be asking this question?

Thank you very much, in advance, for any suggestions,
David

"David Jeppesen" <dmwjeppe@wsocrates.nmiaw.com> wrote in message
> I realize that there is not an easy simple answer to this question,
> but can anyone give me any guidance on the/a best unit and Verizon
> plan that will accommodate roaming both within and outside the U.S.?

Not one yet. The upcoming Samsung SCH-A790 will probably be your best bet.

*Michael Notforyou*

David,

If you want to go GSM go Cingular and get the Quad mode V400 or the
soon to be launched V600. THe Combine Cingular and AT&T should give you
the stateside coverage you are looking for. On the other hand Verizon
will be launching it`s frist quad mode motorola international phone by
3rd Qtr. It will support CDMA in the States and 1800/900 overseas. The
biggest thing will be roaming agreements. This takes time to get done,
just becuase you have a GSM phone and their is GSM serivce it does not
mean that you automaticly get serivce and coverage. So besure to Check
if thier is a roaming agreement in place where you are going. Do just
take the sales reps word on it. Also just becase they are 40% owned by
Vodpone still does not mean it will work everwhere.

--
Wireless Guy

The Cellphone Guy..
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t116668.html

Thank you WG! You folks are really helping me through this!

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:04:54 -0500, Wireless Guy
<Wireless.Guy.14n3v2@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>If you want to go GSM go Cingular and get the Quad mode V400 or the
>soon to be launched V600. THe Combine Cingular and AT&T should give you
>the stateside coverage you are looking for.
I'm afraid that Cingular doesn't do New Mexico (as I understand), so
my guess is that the merger would still only leave essentially the
existing AT&T service in NM. (Please correct me if I am wrong.) And
the existing AT&T service is regrettably too sparse -- I do a lot of
off road/out country stuff. But to be sure that I'm not just
speculating, is there a map somewhere that shows their expected
post-merger GSM coverage? However I do like the V4,600 phones you
recommend!

On the other hand Verizon
>will be launching it`s frist quad mode motorola international phone by
>3rd Qtr. It will support CDMA in the States and 1800/900 overseas.
Are you referring to the SCH-A790, (the one that Michael Notfor..
above recommended?) This looks like a nice unit also, and the
1800/900 would work for me in both Australia and Thailand, but
unfortunately I will have to make a selection before 3rd Qtr. :(

The
>biggest thing will be roaming agreements. This takes time to get done,
>just becuase you have a GSM phone and their is GSM serivce it does not
>mean that you automaticly get serivce and coverage. So besure to Check
>if thier is a roaming agreement in place where you are going. Do just
>take the sales reps word on it.
Yes, I am just beginning to appreciate the complications of/ about
roaming agreements. Are there reliable websites where one can
determine what they have, without having to take the sale's reps word?

Also just becase they are 40% owned by
>Vodpone still does not mean it will work everwhere.
I think you are referring to something here that probably everyone but
me understands, can you please explain?

Thank you very much, David