Where is the History Stored?

Hi where is the history stored and what is the file name?

TIA

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uOHbUpTOFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Mojoala <joeywarren@jimbishopcabinets.com> had this to say:

> Hi where is the history stored and what is the file name?
>
> TIA

C:\Documents and Settings\<your account name>\Local Settings\History

Galen

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Oi4z$7VOFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Galen <galennews@gmail.com> had this to say:

> In news:uOHbUpTOFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Mojoala <joeywarren@jimbishopcabinets.com> had this to say:

>> Hi where is the history stored and what is the file name?
>>
>> TIA
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<your account name>\Local Settings\History
>
> Galen

Hah! This isn't the IE group. I'll guess you mean MSN Messenger? If so open
it, select tools, options, messages, and near the bottom there's the option
to save messages and from there you can find out where they're saved at this
point and even change it so that you save them to a different location.
Sorry about that, I'm actually only signed up to this group to read and
learn more and somehow thought I was in the IE group. Go figure? Anyhow,
there's the answer for MSN Messenger.

Galen

I am the network adminstrator here.

How do you get the chat history for a given user.

The owner of the company wants to view the chat going
on with some specific employees.

Where is the Data file that contains the history of chat.
I believe it to the TFR18.dat file?
if that is not it, what is it.

And how would the owner be able to view this file?

TIA

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:emhf$HtOFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Mojoala <joeywarren@jimbishopcabinets.com> had this to say:

> I am the network adminstrator here.
>
> How do you get the chat history for a given user.
>
> The owner of the company wants to view the chat going
> on with some specific employees.
>
> Where is the Data file that contains the history of chat.
> I believe it to the TFR18.dat file?
> if that is not it, what is it.
>
> And how would the owner be able to view this file?
>
> TIA

I don't think he can without third party software installed on the computer
or on the network's server to monitor the employees.

Galen

could we copy the TFR18.dat file? to his TFR18.dat file and see the history?

copying over his would not be a problem for him since he does not use it,

we just installed on his computer hopefully for this purpose.

TIA

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23gAw7q4OFHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Mojoala <joeywarren@jimbishopcabinets.com> had this to say:

> could we copy the TFR18.dat file? to his TFR18.dat file and see the
> history?
>
> copying over his would not be a problem for him since he does not use
> it,
>
> we just installed on his computer hopefully for this purpose.
>
> TIA

I must refer you to Mr. Kay on this as what you're saying isn't making any
sense to me. In other words I don't think that the history of the chat is
stored ANYWHERE unless the option is selected within the MSN application
itself or by using a third party utility. Then, if it's turned on, it will
show you inside the application where it's stored or allow you to store it
elsewhere if you'd like. If it was stored in this TFR18.dat file as you
suggest I think that Google would spit something out about it and the
privacy advocates would be up in arms ranting about how MS is spying on
them. As for being the admin you could more easily capture the information
if it's being passed through an in-house server if that's what your boss
would rather do. Out of respect to the employees it would be nice (though
it's not required by law I don't believe) to inform them that they're being
monitored. Other than that I'm pretty sure you're not going to get the chat
history from any such dat file unless this is a third party application and
in that case you'd have to read their help files or at least tell us what
this application is.

Galen

yes they have been informed numerous times

msn messenger stores this history somewhere.

just a matter of where and which file.

just doing a search of files modified shows that the TR file might the most
suspect of storing this
unless it is in the registry

TIA