ECS K7S5A Questions

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I am using this particular Mobo for the first time, and I was simply wondering if anyone else has used it, and their impression of it.

Also, this is the first mobo I have used with onboard NIC and Sound. My main questions concern IRQ issues. The user needs Video, Modem, and a PCI Soundcard (in addition to the onboard one - wants for recording purposes, whatever). I'm not too concerned with Video and NIC, but I AM concerned with the resource issues surrounding Modem and 2 soundcards. Can anyone give me some helpful tips on things to be aware of, or that I might run into? I'm just afraid this is going to turn into an IRQ nightmare, although the devices are PnP. My primary concerns are the 2 SCs, and the modem, as these devices are notorious for causing problems in and of themselves.

I should have all the parts in about a week, and will start building at that time. I just want to get a headstart on "common pitfalls" of this type of setup, especially when using so much onboard stuff. Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs of the system:

Mobo: ECS K7S5A (SiS735)
Proc: Tbird 1.4Ghz
Mem: Infineon PC133 512MB
HDD: Western Digital 7200RPM ATA100 60GB
CDRW: Plextor 24/10/40
CDROM: Sony 52x
Sound1: Terratec 6Fire DMX 24/96
Sound2: Onboard
Video: Jaton GF2 MX400 64MB AGP
NIC: Onboard
Modem: Generic PCI Internal 56K
Power: Sparkle 400W
Floppy: Mitsumi

hayburner

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
check out the forum at www.ocworkbench.com. They have 2 boards for the K7S5a and one for the K7S6a, and PSU recommendations. I have the K7S5a, and for the first 5 months, had no problem at all. Now I'm begining to believe I am suffering from too little of a PSU :-(

G

First, unless you are using the onboard sound, you should disable it in the bios. I built a system for my brother using this mobo and just helped a friend finish one using the k7s5a also. They seem to be good, stable motherboards and neither has reported any problems.

I ain't got time to bleed! :eek:

Zyphoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With this board stay away from the tbird and go with the athlon xp. If u use the tbird you will have memory problems and all kinds of other problems with it like corrupt files bad cd burn problems just to name a few .
Im am using 1 and have built 9 systems using it for people
and all problems i have seen have occured with tbird above 1.1 ghz .
AthlonXP have all been stable

If the fat lady's singing at least shes losing weight.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
For the sound... just disable the onboard sound in the BIOS (and by jumper on the motherboard if there is a jumper for it).

The specs for the computer look solid... except for the PC133 ram? Why would you not get DDR??

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Infineon PC133 is cheaper than Infineon DDR, and I'm trying to keep cost as low as possible (without simply using generic parts). He can always easily upgrade later.

Has anyone else had problems using TBird 1.0+ GHz on this board? That really sucks big time if there is a problem with these processors, since once again, the TBirds are cheaper than the XPs. This 1.4GHz TBird BETTER work or I will be angry. This is why I always use ABIT, but again, I am trying to save money. What a complete crock if this board has trouble with a TBird.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Infineon PC133 is cheaper than Infineon DDR, and I'm trying to keep cost as low as possible (without simply using generic parts). He can always easily upgrade later.
But you're throwing away 10% performance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
What problems have you had with TBird 1.0 Ghz+ on this board?

I just put together a system with a 1.33 TBird and it seems to be fine.... Let me know what I should be watching for...

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
It was in response to Zyphoid. This board *should* support any TBird with no problem.

AMDMan,

I hear you and agree. I explained this all to the client. He wanted cheap, period. I refuse to get generic DDR over quality PC133, so I saved $50 on memory.

Looking at this board, he should also get a XP2000, but again, it is an issue of budget. I refuse to skimp on things like Power Supply and RAM, because they are too important and cause too many problems when you go generic. I am skeptical enough of this Mobo (never used it), so I'm not going to get generic crap for parts you can't afford to skimp on. If I could get the same quality DDR as PC133 for under $20, I would. The performance increase of DDR isn't worth anymore than that in my opinion, especially when you are on a fairly tight budget. Also, if he wanted it more for graphics, I would find other places to "cut corners" in order to insure the best graphic performance possible. Instead, he wants it primarily for Recording/Music purposes, so DDR over PC133 wasn't even a consideration to be honest...it won't make enough of a difference for what he wants it for.

Finally, he has options galore with this board (the true selling point for me) as far as upgrading, which he can do as he decides he has a need.

Right now, when I build machines that aren't going to be used for gaming or graphic applications, I use PC133 over DDR. Business machines and machines such as this one simply do not realize enough of a performance increase to warrant the cost (no matter how small), and you can always easily update this aspect of the system.

If budget were never an issue, I would use DDR exclusively. However, it rarely isn't in the real world. Also, with the talk of where memory technology is heading, DDR has already hit its peak, and other avenues will have to be considered for increasing memory speeds BESIDES DDR in the next 5 years. By then, the software should have caught up with the hardware (heh), and DDR will make alot more sense over PC133.

To me, this issue is like debating a GeForce2 vs a GeForce3. Sure, of course the GF3 is a better card, but what software needs that level of power atm? What software won't look GREAT on a GF2 vs. a GF3? Heh, and now we have GF4s...LOL.

Its all about bang for your buck people, and being able to upgrade to DDR when the client expresses a NEED for it is about as good as you can do, especially when you are staying under $1000 per machine.

G

I built 2 machines for an insurance office using these boards and 1.2 T-birds w/ Win 2k. Crash! Crash! Crash!
Cold day in hell before I use another SIS chipset. From now on I'm sticking w/ the KT133A.
I normally use FIC mobo's w/ 1.2 Tbirds. Set 'em up and never hear from them angain.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
This mobo has trouble booting when first installed. Most issues can be traced to using a generic power supply. The board seems to be very finicky about it's power supply, and won't POST with a cr@ppy or generic PS. You shopuld be fine with your Sparkle PS.

In almost all cases if you can get it running the first time it is then very stable, it's just getting it running in the first place that can be a problem.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
I slapped together a system with the k7s5a and a 900mhz t-bird and have not had any problems at all. I have run Win98, Me, and Win2k successfully. If you are on a budget it is definitely the best choice for a socket a motherboard. Remember, before the kt133a's came out, the boards with the sis735 claimed the performance crown. Personally, I think the k7s5a is the best value out there for a socket a platform.

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Well, I know these boards are very cheap, and that is why I have been so leary. Still, unless you get a bad board, as long as you use the newest BIOS, and all the current drivers and patches for Win2K and the mobo, I find it hard to believe it won't work. If that is the case, they will be losing alot of respect, and their reputation will suffer for it. In this thread I have seen 2 people claim CRAP with TBirds over 1GHz, one who is fine @ 900MHz, and then a fair mix of satisfied people who don't give too many specifics.

As far as getting it to post, if the components I'm using that remotely affect that don't do the trick, these boards suck pure and simple; you simply cannot get a better PS or RAM.

The parts are almost all here. I will keep you informed of my progress when I start getting the machine together. There is a reason I normally STRICTLY use ABit boards...

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Oh I also ran a XP1700 in there and that worked fine. I started it with Crucial ram. My brother (built it for him) added some crappy generic ram and everything still runs fine.

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Yes, I have heard that Tbirds under 1GHz, and all XPs run just fine. It is TBs over 1GHz that people are saying they have had trouble with. We shall see in the next few days, as I am using a TB 1.4GHz, and I will let you know what happens. At least I have a heads up. Still, the slightest problem I encounter now will have me pointing to the processor, so that really sucks.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I just built a system with this mobo using a 1.33 cpu... and it seems absolutely fine so far.

My only problem was that when I first was using it, it wouldn't power back on after a shutdown. If I moved the computer around a bit (to change outlets)... it would come back on... but then wouldn't again after the next shutdown (I was moving the computer to look at things, etc. between each shutdown).

In the end I think I figured out what that problem was about. The wires connecting the power button to the motherboard had almost come completely unplugged from the motherboard. I pushed all the connectors back down onto the motherboard and never had another issue.

Simply put, the board is amazing for it's price. They are selling like hotcakes because of their price, and you really don't hear much in the way of problems with them considering the number sold. Even the place I got the parts from said they had sold about 30 systems with them, and had problems with about 5 - but most of those were power supply issues (where the customer had chosen to go with a cheap/weak power supply).

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I originally had a tbird 1400 running on this board, no problems. I upgraded to an XP 1700, again no problems. It kicks ass with the XP.

Personally I'd spend the extra few bucks and get an XP over a tbird . The XPs run cooler, perform much better and support SSE. Well worth a few more dollars IMO.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

kermit4karate

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
I agree with price/performance being the primary consideration, but when you ask what games will look better on a GF3 class card vs. a GF2 class card, I have to say, any of them that use DX8.x.

Games that use DX8 DO look MUCH better on DX8 gen cards like the GF3-4 and Radeon8500s, but don't take my word for it; look for yourself.

"Put your desk in the corner." - Stephen King

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
No argument here. It is all a question of what the system will be used for. If the Client was really concerned with Gaming graphics, I wouldn't even consider anything less than a GF3.

My point is, only a hardcore gamer who wants a system for gaming PERIOD is going to care about these differences. Thats all.