help sorting between 2 "older" systems

debgk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I have 2 systems ... both are pentium III. I am trying to take the "best of both" and put it into one system, and then still have a functional 2nd system to pass along to family.

I'm looking for any help/suggestions about which "core" (basically motherboard/case) to keep.

One system was built local -- has Pentium III 450 -- 100 FSB. 233 watt PS.

It uses a DFI board -- px2bl rev. D. I upgraded the cmos last year. It's a slot 1 board and I have a pentium III 600mhz (off yet ANOTHER machine) that I can put in. Probably won't make that much speed difference, but since I have the part -- any reason not to do it?? What would it involve to change the CPU?

The 2nd system is from Dell --a good PC, but I actually like the case (and the higher power supply) on my locally-built PC better.

I don't know what brand mother board Dell uses, but both systems have the 440BX AGP chipset. Honestly, I'm not even sure what that means =) ... but I know they both have it.

The Dell also has a ata 66 controller card (which I suppose I could put in the locally built if I went with that one ....

both boards accept up to 768 100mhz sdram in 3 dimms. I plan to combine what I have from one or the other to fill all 3.

Any thoughts on which system to build around? Any way to test/compare the boards ... see which is "better"?

I don't really plan to upgrade the system with future CPUs, etc ... but I'd like to keep the better of the 2 ... faster? More reliable???

any thoughts? Any other info I'm missing that would make the decision clearer??

thanks!

deb

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You're probably better off building off the home built one. The Dell will work better if left as is in general. Swaping memory, HD, and CD-roms won't hurt, but I would avoid scrounging the Dell for other parts like sound cards and Video cards.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I don't have any experience with that Dell model, but I do have alot of experience with OEM computers. If you remove that ATA 66 controller card the Dell mobo may not post. The part may (or may not) be propiority.

On the other hand, I don't see any problem with swapping out the entire mobo into the other case.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
In that case I do see a problem with swapping out the mobos.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.