Turbo option on Asus boards.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I've seen this Turbo option in the bios on about three Recent Asus boards (A7M266-D, A7V266-E, A7M266). What does this option do? I'm under the assumption that Turbo is like any other MB's normal operation mode where Normal on an Asus is an extra stability mode. If I'm wrong I'd really like to know.

btw, AMD_MAN if you read this I think you wanted to know if it were possible to run two Athlon XPs rather than MPs. I am. Dual XP2000+. Other than my instabilities running in Win2K or XP with Turbo mode on the MB I'm not having any issues.

Intel is god, cleanroom is life, and the wafers are all that matter.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Turbo mode normally gives you more aggressive timings on the memory. If you have generic memory that can't support it, then that would cause instability.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
That's what I believe, too. Only thing is that if I set my Ram to CAS2 rather than 2.5 it doesn't effect stability at all but I do get a boost in 3Dmark scores and encode times. Turbo mode makes my system hang after the processors have been under 100% load for about thirty seconds.

I'm running Samsung DDR Rated CAS2.5 but between two other AMD760 chipsets it's been completely stable at CAS2. Guess it's reached its limit on a Dual processor board. I'll look into getting some Nanya or Infineon true CAS2.

Thanks for the info.

Intel is god, cleanroom is life, and the wafers are all that matter.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Try Crucial, people pretty much always have good results with their memory, and the customer service is excellent.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!