512MB DDR samsung
Sony DVD
Lite On CDRW
Maxtor 40GIG hard drive 5400rpms
3Com 56k
Realteck Ethernet card
Creative SoundBlaster Live
Antec 400w power supply
ok my cpu has been running about 66C so i decided i wanted it to run cooler so i went to my BIOS and changed the frequency from 1.4ghz to 1.0ghz. i booted it up and was that the temperature went down to 60C. so i thought that was still pretty hot. i bought an Alpha PAL heatsink with a 38CFM fan. turned off my computer took all plugs out. uninstalled my current heatsink and fan. installed new heatsink and fan. i made sure i put the heatsink on straight with everything else aligned. plugged everything back in. booted up. when i booted up, the screen showed the CPU frequency which was 1050mhz then just as it was about to continue, it froze. i rebooted and nothing appeared on the screen. i uninstalled my new heatsink and fan. took off my cpu and behind it was the red tape. the red tape was all black. first i thought it was the red tape. i emailed the company i bought this cpu from and they said it isn't the tape. so i bought a new AMD athlon 1.4ghz. installed it with the tape in back. and the same exact thing happened again. i'm not sure what's wrong anymore. do u think it's my BIOS settings i have set to 1.0ghz? if it is how do i reset the BIOS settings? if i can't reset my BIOS settings what do i set my jumpers to? what clock multiplier and other stuff do i need to set them to so that my cpu is running at 1.4ghz? thanks!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm thinking you're supposed to take off the tape before putting on the heatsink.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!