Building a New computer

G

I am planning on building a new system and am trying to decide between the P4B266 and the P4S333. I like the P4S333 because it has support for the PC7200 DDR SDRam but is it less stable? I have read that the these are realy good at overclocking so I am also wondering if I should buy the P4 1.6a or the P4 2.2 Northwood. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
get the P4B266 with the P4 1.6A. Its very overclockeable and not as expensive.
i have the P4S333 and i havent had too much luck overclocking it. i have the P4 2A and could only overclock it to 2.24...max. and the thing with the P4S333 being less stable...thats crap...its pretty stable in my opinion.

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

G

Thanks

Another question, is it easy to overclock? I have never built a computer before and I am wondering if I should overclock my first one or if I should just build a fast one to begin with.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
most (if not all) asus boards come with a feature called "jumperless" mode....what it means is you can adjust you FSB in the BIOS rather than flipping switches on the motherboard...its a lot easlier to overclock that way (its more of a time saver).
anyways...as for never building a computer before...you shouldnt really overclock by yourself let alone build one yourself....you should have someone experienced with you to "supervise" you...it helps when you dont know why your computer is beeping at you when you first boot it up (ie. its easier to troubleshoot a computer with someone who's had experience working with them).
good luck

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I hope I don't throw you off, but I would recommend an i850 board and the 1.6a proc. Its much more overclockable than the other chipsets. The P4 will bottleneck at higher clockspeeds with DDR. This has been proven. P4 needs the addtional bandwidth that Rambus provides. Also, OC'ing shouldn't be a prob, just make sure everything is stable at stock speed before you start tweaking it up. Good i850 boards are Abit and Asus as I have experience with both of those boards and have been happy with them so far.