Which memory module do I get

OK, assuming I ascertain that the memory module I added to my Dell Dim 2400
is bad, I am about ready to bite the bullet and spend a little more $$$ and
go with crucial.com.

But their memory advisor lists TWO possible modules for my system (I just
want to add 256 MB). They are both the same price and their site indicates
either one will be fine. So any opinions one way or the other (which to
order)?:

I tried to paste it below. I think you can see what they are.

DDR PC3200 . CL=3 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC . DDR400 . 2.6V . 32Meg x 64
What does this mean? US $40.27
256MB CT323843 DDR PC2700 . CL=2.5 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC .
DDR333 . 2.5V . 32Meg x 64
What does this mean?

begin 666 0piece-kit.gif
M1TE&.#EA-0`C`+,/`&IJ:LS,S-O;VWIZ>N/CXZNKJ[:VMG)R<H&!@8N+BY24
ME-'1T:"@H-;6UEM;6\S,S"'Y! $```\`+ `````U`",```3_\,E)J[WXA1V6
M_\N6C:3%@4NCKIY8OA77>:M@"P1A-RT,GQ_5+9<3!!2(A( 7\&6 -"&NN"D@
M#@['`6$+.2G0E)1(6!@4!T#VP#X,$CJ/4P:23N.&1#J;`&P1" !O.@U-)'1!
M#4-$`@8,"%D."0,#!V@#@)6#`G(8879D(0R56PJD2%>7")B"<$N&8!N)BG<Z
M!@5]? P%O*L#J)9NF6FNG1) H%2X:H)I`+N\5I3 JJM;"X2P&E%WG&?.#@``
M"*97T+W3@,&8U@>NA6 >.$N.E9$'#.. J,_1TK_JJEW!E&W"#$Y(U&A1( @3
M@RV8^)W[1TU8I59Q%AA,8420%G</_WWE6T4.4+]HOBI2&K@)WC&.`1(HD/0F
M)*61$4U.3!G0CX)=(>/ ZF#C",-)"6P.P%DRT,YI`P0QF(H2`!PF&QL0B,EP
M5=)Q-\$V/=DKS<^D_@H8@*0$ZTNM7*W6A+A4K$1_^R:JO:7 P(X>;[?*!/M5
MI%V=:=/>*J"@@%9"+88N*#H8J5*F>M+H]7>F0 !&*B+'@_N&,,ZZ*Q7(A ;M
MEB,&`1[OX!'"1=8<5^0FA8B @99?:1G\]-<MM.@+'1Y/,BW(#P.TBG'U-<!H
MR0<.(Y)O):?[8<W$:GG!EKV$-O82VKF&LUI@,Z_%L(N4OZX-?0K!(1N+Y\Q8
M[92_D=7W0F-Z"23VR'3/&8"-#O/5)J /1!E1(&=G3*7 9PP:Y^ 7)MP7``"-
M&6! `)UAF*%YMG$8`TQ1><:87_)IF***'2IB0#@%DB?CC#1VF,*'%\YC78 ]
3#CB#%"QL6"2$1Z9 WY).1 ``.P``
`
end
5 answers Last reply
More about which memory module

    The first one is faster than the second one, but your 2400 will not take
    advantage of it. Buy whichever one is cheaper.

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > OK, assuming I ascertain that the memory module I added to my Dell Dim
    > 2400 is bad, I am about ready to bite the bullet and spend a little more
    > $$$ and go with crucial.com.
    >
    > But their memory advisor lists TWO possible modules for my system (I just
    > want to add 256 MB). They are both the same price and their site indicates
    > either one will be fine. So any opinions one way or the other (which to
    > order)?:
    >
    > I tried to paste it below. I think you can see what they are.
    >

    > DDR PC3200 . CL=3 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC . DDR400 . 2.6V . 32Meg x 64
    > What does this mean? US $40.27
    > 256MB CT323843 DDR PC2700 . CL=2.5 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC .
    > DDR333 . 2.5V . 32Meg x 64
    > What does this mean?

    same price

    Mel
    > The first one is faster than the second one, but your 2400 will not take
    > advantage of it. Buy whichever one is cheaper.
    >

    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> OK, assuming I ascertain that the memory module I added to my Dell Dim
    >> 2400 is bad, I am about ready to bite the bullet and spend a little more
    >> $$$ and go with crucial.com.
    >>
    >> But their memory advisor lists TWO possible modules for my system (I just
    >> want to add 256 MB). They are both the same price and their site
    >> indicates either one will be fine. So any opinions one way or the other
    >> (which to order)?:
    >>
    >> I tried to paste it below. I think you can see what they are.
    >>

    >> DDR PC3200 . CL=3 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC . DDR400 . 2.6V . 32Meg x
    >> 64
    >> What does this mean? US $40.27
    >> 256MB CT323843 DDR PC2700 . CL=2.5 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC .
    >> DDR333 . 2.5V . 32Meg x 64
    >> What does this mean?

    they both work. the pc3200 would potentially work in newer machines as well
    as in your dimension 2400. so, in theory, you might find a new life for
    this chip in a newer machine in the even that you dispose of the dimension
    2400... however it really isn't practical. both work in your machine, and
    both work at the same speed in your machine. it is a toss up as far as
    which you choose. if you have circiutcity stores near you then you may want
    to consider getting kingston memory from them which happens to be on sale
    this week. they have a 256mb pc2100/pc2700 module for $20 after rebates and
    a 512mb module for 32mb after rebate. but follow the advice previously
    given... test the questionable chip that you have in the other slot to see
    if the problem reported by memtest follow the chip rather than the
    socket.... if you have a bad socket then you can't really fix it... or it
    could just be that you didn't fully insert the new memory in the socket in
    the first place and that has lead to this flakey behavior...

    > same price
    >
    > Mel
    >> The first one is faster than the second one, but your 2400 will not take
    >> advantage of it. Buy whichever one is cheaper.
    >>

    >> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >>> OK, assuming I ascertain that the memory module I added to my Dell Dim
    >>> 2400 is bad, I am about ready to bite the bullet and spend a little more
    >>> $$$ and go with crucial.com.
    >>>
    >>> But their memory advisor lists TWO possible modules for my system (I
    >>> just want to add 256 MB). They are both the same price and their site
    >>> indicates either one will be fine. So any opinions one way or the other
    >>> (which to order)?:
    >>>
    >>> I tried to paste it below. I think you can see what they are.
    >>>

    >>> DDR PC3200 . CL=3 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC . DDR400 . 2.6V . 32Meg x
    >>> 64
    >>> What does this mean? US $40.27
    >>> 256MB CT323843 DDR PC2700 . CL=2.5 . UNBUFFERED . NON-ECC .
    >>> DDR333 . 2.5V . 32Meg x 64
    >>> What does this mean?

    Chris:

    OK --- this was what I did get, the Kingston one. but it was a PC 3200, so
    should have worked. I got it at Best Buy for $25. They wouldn't match
    Circuit City's price because it did involve a mail-in rebate.

    I think I put the chip in pretty good.

    Anyway, I returned the chip for a refund. So far, no blue screen.

    Chris --- are you pretty sure that Kingston chip would work in my system??
    Maybe I'll try again and go to Circuit City (25 mile drive; no big deal).

    Mel

    > they both work. the pc3200 would potentially work in newer machines as
    > well as in your dimension 2400. so, in theory, you might find a new life
    > for this chip in a newer machine in the even that you dispose of the
    > dimension 2400... however it really isn't practical. both work in your
    > machine, and both work at the same speed in your machine. it is a toss up
    > as far as which you choose. if you have circiutcity stores near you then
    > you may want to consider getting kingston memory from them which happens
    > to be on sale this week. they have a 256mb pc2100/pc2700 module for $20
    > after rebates and a 512mb module for 32mb after rebate. but follow the
    > advice previously given... test the questionable chip that you have in
    > the other slot to see if the problem reported by memtest follow the chip
    > rather than the socket.... if you have a bad socket then you can't really
    > fix it... or it could just be that you didn't fully insert the new memory
    > in the socket in the first place and that has lead to this flakey
    > behavior...
    >
    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> same price
    >>
    >> Mel
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> The first one is faster than the second one, but your 2400 will not take
    >>> advantage of it. Buy whichever one is cheaper.
    >>>

    >>> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message

    i had a 512mb kingston 'value ram' pc3200 purchase at circuiticty the other
    day that i could have tested in a 2400 but it is now gone. it should work
    but you never know... products in the 'value ram' line can vary in chip
    manufactures and density and in other ways so it could be problematic.
    this is how crucial sums it up...

    "PC2100 (DDR266) memory, PC2700 (DDR333) memory, and PC3200 (DDR400) memory
    are all types of Double Data Rate (DDR) SDRAM. The varying numbers refer to
    the different speeds of memory your computer was designed for.

    Let's take a look at PC2100 (DDR266) to break it down simply.

    PC2100 refers to the bandwidth of the memory. A PC2100 module has the
    bandwidth of 2.1GB/sec therefore it is referred to as PC2100.

    DDR266 refers to the effective front-side bus speed of your system. While
    your DDR system or motherboard may operate a 133MHz front-side bus, its
    effective front-side bus speed is 266MHz because DDR effectively doubles the
    amount of data transferred per cycle that a non-DDR system would.

    The same holds true for PC2700 (DDR333) which has a bandwidth of 2.7GB/sec
    and is designed for use in systems and motherboards which require a 166MHz
    front-side bus, with an effective front-side bus speed of 333MHz.

    PC3200 DDR (DDR400) has a bandwidth of 3.2GB/sec and is designed for use in
    systems and motherboards which require a 200MHz front-side bus with an
    effective front-side bus speed of 400MHz.

    Though DDR memory was designed to be backward compatible (meaning you can
    use PC3200 DDR in a computer designed to use PC2100 DDR or vice-versa), we
    always recommend that you use the Crucial Memory Selector to find exactly
    the right memory for your computer. "

    > Chris:
    >
    > OK --- this was what I did get, the Kingston one. but it was a PC 3200, so
    > should have worked. I got it at Best Buy for $25. They wouldn't match
    > Circuit City's price because it did involve a mail-in rebate.
    >
    > I think I put the chip in pretty good.
    >
    > Anyway, I returned the chip for a refund. So far, no blue screen.
    >
    > Chris --- are you pretty sure that Kingston chip would work in my system??
    > Maybe I'll try again and go to Circuit City (25 mile drive; no big deal).
    >
    > Mel
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> they both work. the pc3200 would potentially work in newer machines as
    >> well as in your dimension 2400. so, in theory, you might find a new life
    >> for this chip in a newer machine in the even that you dispose of the
    >> dimension 2400... however it really isn't practical. both work in your
    >> machine, and both work at the same speed in your machine. it is a toss
    >> up as far as which you choose. if you have circiutcity stores near you
    >> then you may want to consider getting kingston memory from them which
    >> happens to be on sale this week. they have a 256mb pc2100/pc2700 module
    >> for $20 after rebates and a 512mb module for 32mb after rebate. but
    >> follow the advice previously given... test the questionable chip that
    >> you have in the other slot to see if the problem reported by memtest
    >> follow the chip rather than the socket.... if you have a bad socket then
    >> you can't really fix it... or it could just be that you didn't fully
    >> insert the new memory in the socket in the first place and that has lead
    >> to this flakey behavior...
    >>
    >> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >>> same price
    >>>
    >>> Mel