Report: Google China Hack Might Be Inside Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Why is the U.S. government requesting an 'explanation of the attacks' when the U.S. government indicated they will be staying out of any negotiations that Google may have with China following the hacking incident?

@kyeana - indeed!

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
With Google maps and Google using technology to "spy" or snoop on it's search engine users to obtain internet habits etc. Now, in-turn someone spys (hacks) to find out about Google.

Look. I'm not totally against Google but does anyone here see the irony??

Studly007

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Commies are war-mongers. I wonder if the red flagged "PRC" will use this incident to escalate military tension in the Pacific.

ready4dis

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]With Google maps and Google using technology to "spy" or snoop on it's search engine users to obtain internet habits etc. Now, in-turn someone spys (hacks) to find out about Google.Look. I'm not totally against Google but does anyone here see the irony??[/citation]

Yes, but the methods used to obtain said information is slightly different. One is by tracking what users type into a text box, another is illegally gaining access to a secured network through security flaws. I do agree it's slightly ironic, but google doesn't 'spy', it just records available data. The same thing that many other companies do, collect data from clients to see what their typical habbits are. At least google is pretty straight forward about it. Do you have any clues on how many ways your bank watches your transactions? Credit card purchases (and i'm not just talking about the credit bureau's), etc. There are more things to be worried about than google remembering that you searched for pink slippers 3 times from the same IP address.

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
This is a more serious threat to China's populous than most people realize. When you combine the fact that Google has a recorded history of what someone does on their site (from x ip location) with the way China dictates over its people, you get a very serious problem. I leave the rest up to your imagination. I'm not being a conspiracy theorist, just a realist.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]With Google maps and Google using technology to "spy" or snoop on it's search engine users to obtain internet habits etc. Now, in-turn someone spys (hacks) to find out about Google.Look. I'm not totally against Google but does anyone here see the irony??[/citation]

That's an apologist statement and not a very convincing one, either. Your use of the words "spy" and "snoop" are bogus. Users freely and willingly provide Google (and every other search engine) this data and Google only saves the IP-less data which is perfectly legal.

There's no irony here, just a very thin gruel of an argument, imo.

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
sunflier-

the hacks were not targeted at "google" they were targeted at Chinese human rights activists using google accounts.

No one is "spys (hacks) to find out about Google" as you put it.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
seems like perhaps PRC secret service or spy agency employees covertly got jobs at Google, then at the right time started to hack the network from the inside out? I wonder how many other Corporations based in one country, having offices in other countries have spy agency personnel working at those corporations in the host country?

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Asian country, once completely outside modern Western world, completely remakes its society to imitate much of major Western economies salted with an old culture and lots of national pride (and a much lower value on life of its citizens).

FROM ITS PERSPECTIVE - Asian country is snubbed repeatedly, its actions to imitate certain imperialist Western actions are soundly denounced by what it sees as hypocritical Western powers. Western powers arrogantly devalue its economic progress, impede its ability to access needed resources and act generally in a superior manner. Asian country tries to make its irritation known and the exchange of insults and warnings ramp up the tension.

Western powers arrogantly neglect their own defense and the anger increases until Asian power sees an opening to force Western powers to back down and recognize Asian nation's ascendancy.

Questions:

Am I talking about Imperial Japan circa 1941 or formerly communist People's Republic of China circa 2010? Does anyone see the parallels? What will Pearl Harbor look like this time around?

The Chinese military have said repeatedly they've learned the lessons of Japan's mistakes and they won't leave us able to come back if they have to knock us down.

Think about it.

Troman

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
"Commies are war-mongers. I wonder if the red flagged "PRC" will use this incident to escalate military tension in the Pacific."

Absolutely.

They dropped two nuclear bombs, invaded Iraq two times, Serbia, Afghanistan, they threaten Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, they have military bases all around the globe, they support war criminals like Saakashvili and their military expenditure account for 40% of the military expenditure of all countries of the world. Ohh wait... that's not Chinese "Commies"! That's US imperial war-mongers!

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones...

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]...Questions: Am I talking about Imperial Japan circa 1941 or formerly communist People's Republic of China circa 2010? Does anyone see the parallels? ....[/citation]
Formerly communist? Really? You do mean 'currently', yes?

jman7

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ktasley[/nom]sunflier-the hacks were not targeted at "google" they were targeted at Chinese human rights activists using google accounts.No one is "spys (hacks) to find out about Google" as you put it.[/citation]
Yes this specific incident wasn't spying on Google itself but the fact that they were successful at the hack they did shows that the Chinese spies have successfully spied enough to know how Google works in great detail. They have been spying on Google for years and now we see the results. They can spy on any Google customer at will. They have probably been spying on all Google executives and key employees. They probably have the keys to raid any other Google operation world wide now. Google likely needs to rewrite their security world wide. There is likely more to this then they are saying. Most likely lots of Western spies and Human Rights proponents in China are going to the torture chambers and firing squads as we speak. People forget what kinds of people are in the leadership of this country. They will anyone who gets in their way and there are no legal protections nor Bill of Rights to defend any of their victims.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
This could add fuel to google's pulling-out-of-china fire. If they can't trust chinese employees (in china) then what's the point of having offices there?

PS - Damn commies.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]to quote Conan O'Brien ... "Somebody's gona get fiiired"[/citation]
This is China... Someone will have two large nasty guys with gloves showing up at their door in the middle of the night to toss you out the window.

Studly007

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
"They dropped two nuclear bombs, invaded Iraq two times, Serbia, Afghanistan, they threaten Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, they have military bases all around the globe, they support war criminals like Saakashvili and their military expenditure account for 40% of the military expenditure of all countries of the world. Ohh wait... that's not Chinese "Commies"! That's US imperial war-mongers!

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones... "

We dropped the bombs to end the Axes "World Domination" plans. We invaded Iraq to stop a madman-controlled regime. We're in Afghanistan to flush out (or at least significantly disrupt) the leader / leaders of one of the most dominant global terrorist networks in human history. Iran and N. Korea - we just want to verify their nuclear ambitions / intents. Cuba - Uhh ever hear of the Missile Crisis?

"We are not imperialists. We are liberators." - General Colin Powell

Btw - I served in our military.

Pay a little more attention in high school history next time, youngin.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Every time I hear some clown whine about Hiroshima and Nagasaki I want to puke.

I was stationed in Japan for over 4 years. I've walked the grounds and museums of both cities. I found that today the Japanese are a wonderful people and I enjoyed my time there. This was NOT always the case.

In 1945, they absolutely deserved every crisped body, every incinerated building, every bit of pain and horror that was visited upon them and I am proud we had the courage to let them have it.

While our relations with them before the war were often hypocritical and self-serving, they had gone on a murderous rampage across China, Korea, and Mongolia where they raped and murdered hundreds of thousands all for greed and nationalist ambition. They were horrifically cruel and racist against fellow Asians in ways that appalled us and that convinced thousands of volunteers from here to go to China to help fight them. Then they attacked us on December, 7th 1941 killing thousands and sinking much of our Navy into the mud of Pearl Harbor.

One thing most people here forget is that right after Hawaii they invaded the Philippines. After defeating our forces stationed there they marched about 74,000 of our soldiers to internment camps, torturing and slaughtering upwards of 10,000 prisoners along the away and many more died in prison camps as the war proceeded. Then they butchered and raped hundreds of thousands of Filipino's (including both of my wife's sets of grandparents) until we finally booted them out.

The Japanese deserved to be nuked and it made them into the civilized, peaceful, decent people they are now. Life provides harsh lessons for absolute evil and they took these to heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.