Open GL Problems On My Soyo Dragon Plus

PhatNinja

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Ok here is my problem, I have a Soyo Dragon plus Mobo with the latest bios and updated 4 in 1 drivers. 1gig crucial ram (512x2) Amd Athlon 1700xp and a ATI All in wonder 32meg Video Card. Every time I Play Asheron's Call or Half Life (only 2 open gl games i have installed atm) I get a system freeze. its very random. I first called ATI and the sent me a new AIW with no questions asked, because i changed video cards to an ATI rage fury and had no problems or freezes... once i received the new AIW I still got the system halt. Then I called Soyo they said it’s the video card because it’s only happening in Open GL games and with the AIW. Then they changed there story once I told them I received a second AIW from ATI, and it was still crashing. then they told me it was the ram. so I ordered a second stick from crucial. Still halted with 512 or 1 gig... Today I ordered a Soltek SL-75DRV4 and I’m going to see how that works. Before I send the Soyo Back but does anyone have any ideas? ALL my Drivers are up to date and I’ve even tried rollbacks to old drivers. I’ve even tried formatting my hard drive MANY MANY times to no eval. I’ve even Switched Sound cards... Any ideas?? I’m out of them and I’ve tried EVERYTHING that Soyo and ATI have told me to do....

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this and I am sorry about the nonsense grammar its 2 am and I’m very frustrated....

Phatnija

AMD Athlon 1700XP
Soyo SY-K7VDragon Plus
1.24gig Crucial DDR
Sound Blaster X-Gamer
2 Maxtor Hard Drives
Yamaha 24x10x40 CD-RW
16x DVD Player
Antec SX830 Case With 4 Case Fans Avg Case Temp 26c
Avg CPU Temp 37c Idle, 42c @ Full Load...

THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Phatninja on 02/28/02 02:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Have you try to remove the sound card and play. If that works, them move the sound card to the last PCI slot and that may cure your problems.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

PhatNinja

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
So Far so Good, I Skipped the Test of the onboard sound and moved the sound card to the "last" PCI slot... by last you ment the one furthest from the CPU right? How did you know to do this and Soyo Didnt? Is it an IRQ setting? But really who cares its working :eek:)

THANK YOU!!!
Phatninja

THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY!

pat

Expert
how did I knew that? well, moving the card to the last slot prevent sharing with video board. I have no trouble with my Radeon 64DDR VIVO and onboard sound on the same IRQ with my Dragon+. Maybe the X-gamer doesnt like IRQ sharing (which is the standard now with ACPI because there is not enough IRQ for all the card that peoples can put in their system) and is not able to behave correctly under stress and causing the crash.

By the way, will you keeep the Soltek board? if yes, tell me if you are having some troubles with him. I plan to built an other computer for a friend that doesnt need all the stuff the Dragon has.

PhatNinja

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
it makes sense..... thank you, and i havent recieved the Soltek yet. but sense the Soyo is working i think i will refuse the shipment on the Soltek when it comes monday. so i dont have to pay for re-shipment. I got it for 99.00 and free shipping @ www.nutrend.com fyi!

THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY!

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
that is very interesting, I have a Soltek 75-DRV2 and i too suffer random system crashes, especially in games

I have my AGP card, and sound and modem on the same IRQ, although win XP is not letting me change them.

the sound is on the third PCI slot down, and the modem is on the botttom PCI slot.....any suggestions? (the cause of the crashes could be anything i just don't know)

pat

Expert
Well, you may try to play in thye BIOS to select the interrupt for each card to use. Dont know the Soltek BIOS,so cannot be helpful on that. But it may be a power supply problem, heat problem or a RAM problem. Give more detail of your system, someone may have a solution for your problem.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
i've had a peak around in the BIOS, but it was if WinXP ignored what i did in the BIOS and set every thing to IRQ 11.

it's unlikely to be RAM, as i've tried different RAM sticks in my PC, i don't think it's heat, as the CPU temp is never over 48 C

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I almost forgot, my system information!!! ( i was excited about no longer being a 'Stranger' LOL)

AthlonXP 1900+
512Mb DDR RAM
Soltek 75-DRV2
WD Caviar 100Gb HD (UDMA 100)
Geforce 2 Ultra AGP card
Soudblaster Live! Sound card

pat

Expert
It is not the CPU temp, but the case temp. It once happened to my cousin, he just put a fan inside the case to push the hot air out and now no more problem. WinXP, as well as 2000, is for the sharing of IRQ. Because it is supposed to solve config problem, as the user dont have to care about nothing. But that works well only with newer hardware that are ACPI compliant...