Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Well, I bought a new CPU to replace my fried one, and... it works! Whee! My AXIA stepping Thunderbird 1.2 runs at 1.4 stably, 140 x 10. One other thing: my RAM, which is generic PC133 CL3 Infineon, runs at 170 Mhz. Stable. I've clocked it down to 166 (3-3-3/6), and it runs without a hitch, looping Q3 timedemos. Is this amazing, or is it just me? To have my system running at 333Mhz FSB seemed quite cool, especially since my AGP was out of spec, my PCI was way out of spec, and my ISA was a whole 1Mhz overclocked!

Did I just get magic RAM or what?

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I have had nothing but solid performance from all Infineon RAM I have ever used. So much in fact, it is pretty much all I use. I have never had a problem with Infineon chips.

On a side note, you say it is "generic" Infineon...I don't follow...is it generic or Infineon? Heh

Anyway, glad its smooth sailing for you.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd recommend you set your memory timings more aggressive, even if you have to drop to 160MHz or so.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
You know what's weird though, Fast at 150, but Medium doesn't. Fast is x-3-2 whereas Medium is x-2-3. X is CAS latency, which is set independately from everything else. Weird. It won't run Turbo (2-2-2-6) at anything above 100. Hm. Anyway, it felt really nice with my RAM running faster than PC2100 on an AMD760. I've dropped my RAM down to 155 at 3-3-2. Good enough I suppose.

But is it unusual for SDRAM to hit 170? I thought 150 was pretty damn good, that's why they sell PC150 certified memory. What are your guys' experiences with SDRAM? Just curious, thanks.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

I have two different sticks of256mb Kingstom Value ram. Both have infinion chips on them. They are the fastest running chips i've came across. 1will do 158fsb at2/2/2/7/9 and the other will do 156fsb 2/2/2/7/9 both will do 174fsb@3/3/3/7/9 but anything higher than that anddd my comp refuses to post. Not sure if it is memory pci or processor????I also run it at 3.69 volts. which really helps but it will run hot if i benchmark too much at these speeds and crash. Heatsinks for memory??? ANOTHER fan??
Oh and fatburger is right. Set your memory to 2/2/2/6 or 2/2/2/8 and overclock as far as you can go. This will give you the best overall system performance and benchmark scores. Although it might give you a slightly less cpu overclock. The cpu is no longer the bottleneck in system performance. Memory and harddrive speed is.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 03/01/02 09:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS