MSI D-LED's all RED??!!?!

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess it would be best to start from the beginning: I decided to refresh my system with some newer components.

Initial system:
MSI K7T Turbo
AMD Athlon 1200
Alpha PAL6035 w/ 60mm Sunon fan & Artic Silver II
512 PC-133 SDRAM
Hercules GeForce2MX 32MB card
1 IBM 60GXP 60 GB drive
1 Plextor 8x4x32 CDRW
1 IDE Zip
Soundblaster Live
3Com 905B NIC
Actiontec Winmodem
Enermax 350W PSU in Antec SX830 case

It ran fine for a year, but I wanted to spruce it up, so last week, I did this.

Changed the PAL 6035 to an Alpha PAL8045 with a 1LA Panaflo
Added a Promise FastTrack 100TX2 card and another 60GB IBM 60GXP, in a RAID 0
Replaced the 8x4x32 with a Plextor 40x12x40 burner
Added a Pioneer DVD500M

The system ran fine (actually, the chip ran cooler) and I reloaded all my software and had a nice chat with the lady at M$ when it came time to activate XP for a second time.

Yesterday, I decided to replace my generic $5 speakers with a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1. On the first cold boot, I heard the fans kick on, the DVD and CDRW busy lights lit up like on boot, but the power LED did not light and I got no video output or beeps from the Mobo. I hit the reset button and that helped to boot it up.

It worked for some time, but then on the next cold boot, it did it again. Only this time, the reset button did not get it to boot. I opened the case and saw all the D-LED's were all red. I looked in the manual and that meant a dead CPU (DAMN!)

So, I dissasembled the system, and looked at the CPU and didn't see anything wrong. I cleaned it up to remove the old artic silver, put on a new layer and then reinstalled the Alpha. With only that and the video card, the system booted, so I added more components. It started with no problems until the second try with all components installed, I had to do the <A HREF="http://www.bit-tech.net/article/70" target="_new">reset button hold trick </A>that Macroman at Bit-Tech talked about. Now that trick isn't working.

I just find it odd that this all happened by simply installing a set of speakers, that have their own powersource no less. Is this the mobo? Is this the powersupply? If it is the PSU, would going from this 350 Enermax up to the 431 make any difference?

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bgates2b on 02/28/02 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>