Problem installing second hard drive

eb

On my Power Edge 400SC BIOS version A08, running Win XP...
my Primary drive is a Wesr=tern Digital WD400BB
I have tried to install a second drive(SeagateST380013A)
Both drives jumpered as Cable Select.
The BIOS only recognizes the Primary drive.
Connecting the Seagate on its own it is recognized.
Is there some compatability issue with different makes of drives?
I have also tried jumpering as Master & slave ...same result.
Is there anything else I could try?

i have had compatibility problems with a wd400 drive and seagate (can't
recall what model but a 60gb) working on the same controller, and not in a
dell but an abit motherboard. i have had seen such problems from time to
time with using mixed brands on the same controller. your best option is
probably to put the drives on separate controllers.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> i have had compatibility problems with a wd400 drive and seagate (can't
> recall what model but a 60gb) working on the same controller, and not in a
> dell but an abit motherboard. i have had seen such problems from time to
> time with using mixed brands on the same controller. your best option is
> probably to put the drives on separate controllers.
>
> "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>
>>On my Power Edge 400SC BIOS version A08, running Win XP...
>>my Primary drive is a Wesr=tern Digital WD400BB
>>I have tried to install a second drive(SeagateST380013A)
>>Both drives jumpered as Cable Select.
>>The BIOS only recognizes the Primary drive.
>>Connecting the Seagate on its own it is recognized.
>>Is there some compatability issue with different makes of drives?
>>I have also tried jumpering as Master & slave ...same result.
>>Is there anything else I could try?

I finally found the problem was the cable connecting both drives.
Thanks.