Sign in with
Your question

Strange problem with my new system...Please Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2002 3:28:30 PM

Hello, I recently decided to upgrade my home PC and after getting all of my components and installing them, have been having a strange problem on boot up. I bought an 'Asus P4T-E' MB, a P4-2aGhz (Northwood w 512kb cache) 478 CPU and Kingston 512 megs PC800 RDram. When I boot my PC up, the system will usually not even reach Post but will instead either, set there with the video not initializing, so nothing appears on screen (even the monitor light stays amber intead of green) though I can hear my hard drives spinning up or, it will give a long beep, then 3-4 seconds of silence, followed by a long beep again, repeating over and over until I eventually have to power off the PC (I THINK this means the video isn't initializing, but I'm not sure). When I boot the PC up again, it will automatically go into CMOS, with an error message stating that the system hung on the previous boot due to 'Improper processor settings' but, the processor is set to be configured 'Automatically' in CMOS and, when I check it's settings, it shows itself to be set up correctly. Voltage at 1.5 volts, mutiplier at 20x, bus speed at 100, ALL at the default recomended settings, set by the system board itself via the info it gets from the processor. If I simply save the settings (which are the same as they were to begin with, even though the CMOS message says that it has reset the CPU's settings to default) and exit CMOS, one of three things happen...either I will get the 'Blank Screen & no beeps', the 'Blank Screen WITH beeps (single, long beeps), OR...it will hit post and boot up normally into windows. Now, the thing is, when it DOES make it past post and, consequentially into windows, the system runs FINE, with no problems, for hours on end! I have ran it for around 16 hours straight, with no noticable over-heating or other problems. The thing is, if I have to reboot my PC for whatever reason (after a software or driver install for example), when it trys to post again, the same problem appears again. If it makes it to post at all, it runs GREAT, but the problem is getting it to post in the first place! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? I don't have another video card to test with and, like I said, if the video works at all, it works great. The other system components were working fine before this upgrade and, like I said, if it makes it past post, everything runs fine. here is a list of my system's components.

MotherBoard: ASUS P4T-E (No Audio, w/CNR)
Processor: P4 2aGhz (Northwood, w/512 kb cache) 478
Memory, 2x256megs, Kingston PC800 ECC RDRam
Video Card: Hercules GeForce II GTS 64 meg AGP
SCSI controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W PCI
Audio Card: Creative Labs X-Gamer PCI
Decoder Board: Creative Labs Dxr3 PCI
NIC: Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast Lan card PCI
PowerSupply: 400 watt ATX (I forget the Brand)
SCSI Hard Drive #1: Seagate 'Cheetah' 36 gig U2W LVD
SCSI Hard Drive #2: Compaq 17 gig U2W LVD
UltraATA 133 Hard Drive: Maxtor 'DiamondMax' D740X 6L080J4 80gig
CDRom #1: LiteOn LTR-24102B 24x/10x/40x RW
CDRom #2: Yamaha CRW2200SZ 20x/10x/40x RW
DVD Rom: Creative Labs 8x DVD
Monitor: Sony Triitron 200SX 17inch
MotherBoard Bios: 1005
Video Card Bios: 2: 15.01.07

I guess thats about it. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.

More about : strange problem system

March 1, 2002 4:12:15 PM

check in ur BIOS if ur CPU LATENCY TIMER is ENABLED....might be the problem..else pm me.will try to help

THE MAIN CAUSE FOR GLOBAL WARMING- MY KICK ASS ATHLON XP ;) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2002 4:17:34 PM

Thanks ANGEL14, I don't recall seeing a setting for that in my CMOS but, when I get off work tonight I'll look at it and see..If there is such a setting and it's enabled, then I'll disable it and see if that is the problem...Thanks again.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2002 6:51:17 PM

Hey ANGEL14, it ocurred to me to check to 'online' manual for my MB while I am stuck here at work and this is the closest thing I found (In the 'BIOS Setup' section).

<b>PCI 2.1 Support [Enabled]</b>
This function allows you to enable or disable PCI 2.1 features including passive release and delayed transaction. Configuration options: [Disabled][Enabled]

Is that the same thing as what you were talking about? If so, according to this, the default is set to 'Enabled' There is also an option for PCI Latency Timer (default is 32) but there was nothing in there specifically for <b>CPU</b> latency...Thanks.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Morloch on 03/01/02 04:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 1, 2002 10:05:20 PM

You might need a bios upgrade to run the northwood. That's been required for the abit th7-II.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2002 10:14:56 PM

Quote:
You might need a bios upgrade to run the northwood. That's been required for the abit th7-II

That may or may not be true but...the thing is, my board came with the latest available BIOS version for that board. (v1005) One of the first things I tried was looking for an updated Bios but, the only one available for download from Asus for this board (P4T-E) is v1005.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2002 1:15:03 PM

I looked in the BIOS last night to see if there was anything like the 'CPU Latency' that ANGEL14 mentioned but, there was nothing like that in there. I reseated all components and tried moving some of the PCI cards to different slots but, still no result. After looking through the MB manual again, I noticed it said that it did not support 3.3volt AGP cards, but only the 1.5 volt cards. However, when I run 'ASUS PC Probe' in windows, it shows the AGP slot as being 3.3 volts. Now, if the P4T-E doesn't support 3.3 volt cards as it's manual stated, then why is the AGP slot showing at 3.3 volts? If I'm not mistaken, my card is a 3.3volt card. Is my video card just too outdated to be supported by this MB? Does anyone know if the 'Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 64' is either a 1.5 or 3.3 volt card? Could this be the problem? If so, why does it run fine when it DOES make it past post? Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2002 2:24:19 PM

Anyone have any ideas? I emailed ASUS tech support with the details but no response yet.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2002 10:16:28 PM

Hmmm, could it be my No-Name generic 400W power supply?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 4:38:26 AM

WOOHOOO! Problem Solved! :D  I decided I didn't really need the Creative Labs Dxr3 decoder board in my system, as I can use the the features of my existing video card for most of my DVD needs...and the one I'm getting soon even more so. After removing the card, I booted my system up and it posted and went on into windows fine. Believing I had only got lucky that time, I decided to reboot my PC, just to get rid of any false sense of security I had from that first boot and...it booted perfectly the second time! Getting a little excited by then, I decided to really test it, just to be sure. After rebooting my system 10 times, and 'Cold' booting it 10 more times, I'm happy to say it work fine every time! :D  As to whether it was a matter of the little bit of power drain it put on my system being removed or if it was a matter of an incompatibility with the card's bios and my MB, or if the card was just plain buggy...I don't know. All I know is that my system is working right now and I am VERY happy about it! :D 
Now that the boot problem is solved, I can concentrate on completing my system's upgrade without worrying about strange bugs. With the hardware I already have and the stuff I have already ordered...all of which should be here within the next week or two, my final system will consist of:

1> MotherBoard: ASUS P4T-E (No Audio, w/CNR)
2> Processor: P4 2A GHZ 478 (Northwood, w/512 kb cache)
3> Memory, 2x256megs, Kingston PC800 ECC RDRam
4> Video Card: Vision Tek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4600 AGP
5> Audio Card: Creative Labs X-Gamer PCI
6> SCSI controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W PCI
7> NIC: Linksys LNE100TX EtherFast Lan card PCI
8> SCSI Hard Drive #1: Seagate 'Cheetah' 36 gig U2W LVD
9> SCSI Hard Drive #2: Compaq 17 gig U2W LVD
10> UltraATA 133 Hard Drive: Maxtor 'DiamondMax' D740X 6L080J4 80gig
11> CDRom #1: LiteOn LTR-24102B 24x/10x/40x RW
12> CDRom #2: Yamaha CRW2200SZ 20x/10x/40x RW
13> DVD Rom: Creative Labs 8x DVD
14> PowerSupply: Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 530W/651W Peak, Dual-fan
15> Case: Lian-Li PC69-Transparent (With side window, 2 intake fans on the front and 2 exaust fans, 1 in the back & 1 in the case's top)
16> Round/Clear-Silver Floppy & IDE cables
17> Cold Blue Cathode kit
18> Monitor: Sony Triitron 200SX 17inch

What's next? Hmmm, maybe I'll think about doing a little Overclocking but, before I do that, I'll need a good cooling solution...which means spending more money...which means it won't be happening anytime soon. Crap! with the amount of money I've spent on upgrades so far, I could have bought a used car! :D 
!