2350 motherboard recommendation

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 10, 2005 12:09:02 AM

I have a friend's Dell 2350 which was visited by lightning. The hard drive
and power supply are OK, but the switch doesn't cause any sign of life. I
assume the motherboard needs to be replaced. I don't know about the P4
processor or system RAM. Below are the Dell specs.

Any recommendation for a replacement mobo, Dell or (preferably) otherwise? A
bit of a step-up from the original would be nice, but entry level cost is
desired.

TIA,
Dick

System Type: Dimension 2350
Ship Date: 3/25/2003
Dell IBU: Americas
Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 4X388 INSTRUCTION, PREP-MTL, DEVIATION, DIMENSION, INCREASE, NUMBER
1 9U540 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1
1 4P608 MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, WHEEL, OPTICAL, LOGITECH
1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 4N567 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, HK206, NMB, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 5W416 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, ALUMINUM, DELL AMERICAS
ORGANIZATION
1 9N799 COMPACT DISK DRIVE, 128K, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 48X, LTN-486,
MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 8W234 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 15, DUAL, E151FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 0X438 HARD DRIVE, 30GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 1N, 7.2K,
WD-XL40S
1 0J568 KIT, SOFTWARE, MS-MNY-2K2, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 9Y717 KIT, SOFTWARE, Tax Cut Platinum, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 5E756 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFFICEXP PROFESSIONAL, 5.25" FORM FACTOR
1 8P472 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCXP-SP1, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 8W383 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPPSP1, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION
1 3K113 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 266M, 32X64, 8K, 184
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2005 5:50:05 AM

Another Dimension 2350 or a Dimension 2400 board will fit nicely. All the
connectors (power supply, fans, front panel, etc.) match up perfectly between
2350 and 2400. A Dimension 3000 will not be an easy fit, so avoid it.

One or more of the Dimension 4000-series boards will work, too, but one of them
would require an add-in video card, since they lack on-board video.

Dell Dimension 2300, 2350, 2400, and various 4000-series systems share an
identical chassis, which is what makes swapping different models of boards back
and forth a cinch.

Frankly, any non-Dell board would be a royal pain in the ass to fit inside a
Dell Dimension 2400 chassis. Don't even think about it. Really.

Make absolutely sure that the power supply is really 100% in working order.
Even if it does work, it, too, has taken a hit from the lightning and may fail
at any time. Likewise, other components may have failed from the lightning.

Does your friend have homeowner's insurance which may cover a replacement system
or repair? ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:09:02 -0500, "RAF" <flisrand1@charter-removetoreply-.net>
wrote:

>I have a friend's Dell 2350 which was visited by lightning. The hard drive
>and power supply are OK, but the switch doesn't cause any sign of life. I
>assume the motherboard needs to be replaced. I don't know about the P4
>processor or system RAM. Below are the Dell specs.
>
>Any recommendation for a replacement mobo, Dell or (preferably) otherwise? A
>bit of a step-up from the original would be nice, but entry level cost is
>desired.
>
>TIA,
>Dick
>
>System Type: Dimension 2350
>Ship Date: 3/25/2003
>Dell IBU: Americas
>Quantity Parts # Part Description
>1 4X388 INSTRUCTION, PREP-MTL, DEVIATION, DIMENSION, INCREASE, NUMBER
>1 9U540 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1
>1 4P608 MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, WHEEL, OPTICAL, LOGITECH
>1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
>1 4N567 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, HK206, NMB, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
>1 5W416 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, ALUMINUM, DELL AMERICAS
>ORGANIZATION
>1 9N799 COMPACT DISK DRIVE, 128K, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 48X, LTN-486,
>MIDNIGHT GRAY
>1 8W234 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 15, DUAL, E151FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY
>1 0X438 HARD DRIVE, 30GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 1N, 7.2K,
>WD-XL40S
>1 0J568 KIT, SOFTWARE, MS-MNY-2K2, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>1 9Y717 KIT, SOFTWARE, Tax Cut Platinum, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>1 5E756 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFFICEXP PROFESSIONAL, 5.25" FORM FACTOR
>1 8P472 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCXP-SP1, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>1 8W383 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPPSP1, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION
>1 3K113 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 266M, 32X64, 8K, 184

September 10, 2005 5:50:06 AM

Thanks Ben. Your experience and willingness to share are much appreciated!

Insurance? Yes, but $500 deductible, so no help there.

Any opinion on sources to check to purchase mobo?

Dick

> [...]
>>1 5W416 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, ALUMINUM, DELL AMERICAS
>>ORGANIZATION
>>1 9N799 COMPACT DISK DRIVE, 128K, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 48X, LTN-486,
>>MIDNIGHT GRAY
>>1 8W234 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 15, DUAL, E151FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY
>>1 0X438 HARD DRIVE, 30GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 1N, 7.2K,
>>WD-XL40S
>>1 0J568 KIT, SOFTWARE, MS-MNY-2K2, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR.,
>>ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>>1 9Y717 KIT, SOFTWARE, Tax Cut Platinum, 5.25" FORM FACTOR,
>>ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>>1 5E756 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFFICEXP PROFESSIONAL, 5.25" FORM FACTOR
>>1 8P472 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCXP-SP1, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>>1 8W383 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPPSP1, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION
>>1 3K113 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 266M, 32X64, 8K, 184

September 11, 2005 12:48:51 AM

www.centrix-intl.com

Dell Spare Parts 1-800-449-3355 ext 7269937

RAF wrote:
> [...]
>>>1 5W416 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, ALUMINUM, DELL AMERICAS
>>>ORGANIZATION
>>>1 9N799 COMPACT DISK DRIVE, 128K, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 48X, LTN-486,
>>>MIDNIGHT GRAY
>>>1 8W234 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 15, DUAL, E151FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY
>>>1 0X438 HARD DRIVE, 30GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 1N, 7.2K,
>>>WD-XL40S
>>>1 0J568 KIT, SOFTWARE, MS-MNY-2K2, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR.,
>>>ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>>>1 9Y717 KIT, SOFTWARE, Tax Cut Platinum, 5.25" FORM FACTOR,
>>>ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>>>1 5E756 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFFICEXP PROFESSIONAL, 5.25" FORM FACTOR
>>>1 8P472 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCXP-SP1, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
>>>1 8W383 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPPSP1, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION
>>>1 3K113 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 266M, 32X64, 8K, 184

September 11, 2005 11:34:12 PM

Ouch! $149.00 for the motherboard at Centrix!

The 2350 is over two years old. Looks like time to save out parts and then
to the junkyard.

Dick

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> www.centrix-intl.com
>
> Dell Spare Parts 1-800-449-3355 ext 7269937
>

> RAF wrote:
>> Thanks Ben. Your experience and willingness to share are much
>> appreciated!
>>
>> Insurance? Yes, but $500 deductible, so no help there.
>>
>> Any opinion on sources to check to purchase mobo?
>>
>> Dick
>>

>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>
>>>Another Dimension 2350 or a Dimension 2400 board will fit nicely. All
>>>the
>>>connectors (power supply, fans, front panel, etc.) match up perfectly
>>>between
>>>2350 and 2400. A Dimension 3000 will not be an easy fit, so avoid it.
>>>
>>>One or more of the Dimension 4000-series boards will work, too, but one
>>>of them
>>>would require an add-in video card, since they lack on-board video.
>>>
>>>Dell Dimension 2300, 2350, 2400, and various 4000-series systems share an
>>>identical chassis, which is what makes swapping different models of
>>>boards back
>>>and forth a cinch.
>>>
>>>Frankly, any non-Dell board would be a royal pain in the ass to fit
>>>inside a
>>>Dell Dimension 2400 chassis. Don't even think about it. Really.
>>>
>>>Make absolutely sure that the power supply is really 100% in working
>>>order.
>>>Even if it does work, it, too, has taken a hit from the lightning and may
>>>fail
>>>at any time. Likewise, other components may have failed from the
>>>lightning.
>>>
>>>Does your friend have homeowner's insurance which may cover a replacement
>>>system
>>>or repair? ... Ben Myers
>>>
>>>On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:09:02 -0500, "RAF"
>>><flisrand1@charter-removetoreply-.net>

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2005 5:37:30 AM

Replacement parts are expensive. After you've removed what is useful from the
chassis, I'll take it off your hands, paying for shipping plus some bucks for
whatever else is left inside... Ben Myers

!