Sign in with
Your question

My comp restarts on its own, plz help

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2002 1:39:16 AM

I don't know what the problem is but off and on my computer screen will turn black and I'll hear a slight high pitched sound and my comp restarts to the bios and reloads XP. What's causing this?

My System:

MSI KT266A PRO2 mobo
256MB DDR
AMD T-bird 1.2 GHZ
Asus geforce 2 gts 32mb ddr
turtle beach santa cruz sound card

More about : comp restarts plz

March 2, 2002 1:43:45 AM

With the little information you have given us, I would venture to say that your problem is an inadequate or failing power supply.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.
March 2, 2002 1:49:18 AM

what other info would u like? I got a 300W PS. I have an 8x DVD burner, a 16X Plextor burner, a 40 Gig Maxtor 7200rpm HD, a generic ethernet card, a volcano 7 over the cpu, a back case fan and a blower in a pci slot.
Related resources
March 2, 2002 2:02:28 AM

Usually, even with all that stuff, a decent 300 watt power supply would suffice. I say decent because a lot of generic cases have crapola power supplies made by L&C technologies and other fly-by-night companies. Frankly, these power supplies are dangerous. I've had several of them literally blow up. Inside, capacitors exploded. On one occasion almost causing a fire.

You could also try updating the latest BIOS.
<A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php?model=MS-63..." target="_new">http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/bios.php?model=MS-63...;/A>

One other thing could be over aggressive RAM timings. You could try backing them down a bit. But more than likely it's your power supply. I have my K7T266 Pro 2 with the most aggressive settings and it works like a champ.

Good luck.

March 2, 2002 2:14:54 AM

Well, my case is generic and came with it's own PS so I'm guessing you're right, thx
March 2, 2002 2:18:24 AM

Get a good name brand like Antec or Enermax that has at least 400 watts. Nowadays their fairly inexpensive.

March 2, 2002 2:30:28 AM

i had the same problem, enermax psu fixed it.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
!