Any body got a similar system?

G

Hi,

My brothers thinking about building the system below. Does anybody have a similar system and have they had any problems with it?

Abit KR7A-RAID (Socket A motherboard) (MB-009-AB)
AMD Athlon XP 2000 (CP-019-AM)
Coolermaster HHC-001 super Heat-pipe
Crucial 512MB DDR PC2100 CAS-2.5
Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB
Pioneer DVD-106S Region Free
Hercules 3D Prophet III Titanium 200
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Cheers
Chris

G

I've got the non-RAID KR7A and haven't had any troubles with it.... mostly. Just a couple comments - it's fast! real fast. But on boot, mine sits here for about 5-10 seconds with a blank screen, then boots. I understand that this is normal while the board tests the memory (anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of this? I am running two 256mb OCZ PC3000 sticks) but it really worried me the first few times I booted her. Also, the first few times I booted it, it wouldn't post with my GF2 until I swapped in my roomate's GF3 Ti200 then back to mine. And it reported my 1700+ as a 1500+ But after I set it manually and then back to auto it worked (may have worked anyway I dunno) Maybe these kinds of wierd gliches show up often for other people building systems - but I had never seen it before. Maybe yours won't act like that. Also, I'm not sure what the issue is with this yet, but I have a 300watt PSU but the motherboard only reports 4.8v on the 5v rail. I tried a 350 and it didn't seem to help, at least not much. So I'm curious if yours would report normal voltage or not. I wouldn't call these things really "problems" but just some things that worried me at first. Maybe you won't see any of them. Oh yeah, and with a system like that - why not just step up to a better HSF (though I hear that the heatpipe is a good one) and better RAM and o/c her? I got mine to run at 190 FSB and others have gone higher (haven't tried much higher yet... it booted at 200 though! <grin> it locked when I hit the start button - but hey! it booted!)<shrug> just a thought...