Sharing a Simple Folder!!!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Ok Small situation here. On Windows XP PRO, there's the SharedDOC's folder that comes with winXP. Anyway, mine is shared perfectly on the network. 3 Pc's. My brother can see it, my dad can see it. Now im trying to see there damn SharedDOC Folder, cause my dad wants an easy folder to share so he can send me something or whatever. Eitherway, When i go to Network Places and click on his SharedDoc's folder, it takes like 40 seconds and then says

" \\DAD\(folder) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found. "

WTF!!!

Any Ideas guys... Both Workgroups are MSHOME anything im forgetting to select or whatever?

oh and YES the Shared Docs folder is being shared it has the Little Hand on the icon and i did right click and check up on the sharing properties.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
but is it being shared with guest permission? Or does it need a username/password?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
? not sure what you mean........... its just me and my dad... we wanna share the folder....... its our own computers, so we are both ADMinistrators and have full access on the accounts on the computer..... when he's down stairs and goes to network places, he see's SharedDocs (ROB) ...[me]... and he click it and boom whatever i put in there he sees............ I see his folder but it won't let me access it.....what setting am i missing?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Check if the permission is given to you to access it from your dad's PC...

P4 1.7Ghz @ 2GHz, 512MB PC800 RDRAM, 64MB Abit Ti4200, 60GB Maxtor, 120GB Western Digital, 48x24x42 TDK CDRW, 16X ASUS DVDROM, SB! live 5.1DE, Lifeview 3000 TV card

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
where do i check for permission? ..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

harvyk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Unfortuantly there is no such thing as permissions under simple file sharing, on your dad's computer when the resource was shared out it would have only given you the option to give read only or full access (talk about security, not even a password to prevent undesirables on the network).

In any case the error is stating that you can not access the share because it is unavailable, not because of access denied (it was say access denied if it was), I would be checking the network properties on your box... Is this the only shared folder you can not access??? you do have client for microsoft networks enabled on your net card??? if not you will need to enable it to access any MS network...

If you are still having problems try blowing away all your network card settings and recreating them (fairly simple to do, unless you have specific DNS or WINS settings you don't need to record anything down...)

Just finally is there any firewalls on your internal network??? they can also play havoc...

With 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...

harvyk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Also can you ping your dad's computer with no problems by both name and IP???

With 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i changed our workgroups' to the same, both are now MSHOME.... I will Share a new Folder and check it out, the thing is he doesn't just wannt make a folder and share it he wants to use that default folder tha comes with Xp .. the one that says Shared Doc.. if you double click MY computer you will see it bottom of the list to the right.... either way i'll share a new folder and see what happenes, either way i don't care if he wants to send something to me i'll just connect through aim, it goes insanly fast anyway..

I been concentrating on Linux alittle bit so haven't had time to mess with his stuff.. first time linux user and i have a friend who uses it alot helping me out. I went with Gentoo and KDE desktop Environment. Hopefully everything goes good, i just signed on and now THG has a whole Knoppix article. Sounds good but i think i'll stick with Gentoo.

Thanks for all your Input guys.

Rob.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

CapNjacK

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Did your dad by chance disable his guest account?
I wouldn't blow out your network settings. Most likely if you can see him in network neighborhood at all then you can ping and name resolve to his pc. Just verify and do a ping via ip and via pc name just to be sure. In order to use simple file sharing in XP you must leave the guest account enabled which is something a lot of people don't do because it's a known hacker freebie. What you really should do is grant each other accounts and then switch the Local policy under security options Network Access sharing and security model for local accounts: default is guest switch that to classic. Or you can disable simple file sharing and use real permissions despite it's goal I think simple file sharing is far more complicated than normal file sharing.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CapNjacK on 03/04/04 01:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you need to run network connection set-up on your dad's pc as well.
i ran it on my home pc and i could see the files from my notebook. i didnt run it on my notebook so the home pc cant see the stuff on my notebook.
hope this helps...good luck

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil:

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
thanks a bunch, not sure why but i think when i changed the workgoup to be equal (they have to be) the file sharing and tcp/ip protocals got all gay. i just uninstalled and installed them again and everything was good.

thanks everyone for all your input.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200