G

My new componets have arrived from newegg.
Abit KR7A-133
AMD Athlon 1600XP
Linksys Ethernet
Cardexpert 32mb VIVO Video Card
New case with 300 w Power Supply
Arctic Silver Paste

I will be using my present Hard Drive. My question is: Should I load the new drivers onto the Hard Drive before I begin assembly or after I set up the new system?
Also, any suggestions for tutorials to print before I begin (First Timer). I already have motherboards.org
Plus any other hints you could give me.
Thanks

Music is The Best- Frank Zappa

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Just a quick question (and basically a suggestion), are you planning you starting with a clean (formatted) HD? If so , you will load the drivers after the build and installing your operating system. If you use your old HD with the old OS, you will most probably encounter an all too familar blue screen error.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

G

Thanks,
Do you suggest I format first?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
you should format your drive before moving it into the new setup, will save you pain (error hell sometimes). Just make sure you got a win98 start-up floppy, or I can give you my after format floppy.

Once you know the parts building a computer isn't magic, just don't hurry and you'll be fine.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

If you are using the retail boxed xp, don't use the artic silver II unless you remove the heatsink. Install it once with the pad to preserve your 3 year amd warranty. After your system posts and you format the hardrive, I would proceed one card at a time, starting with the video and ending with the lan card. Also, leave the pci slot next to the agp slot open to reduce the irq sharing, and install the cd and hardrive on separate ide. Take your time, do it right the first time for fewer problems.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What OS are you using Windows 2000 and XP allow you to format the computer during the installation. Windows 98 require you to format the hard drive before installation.

G

I will also be using my Soundblaster Live MP3 in the change over.
Do you suggest I use Arctic Silver or not? If I do, do you mean not to install the heat sink?
I am using Windows 98 SE.
Would a reformat be the best way to go? If so, could someone walk me through the DOS commands to start format and to reinstall Windows. Did it once, but have forgotten the proper commands.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
You can use the "DO" disk I use all the time, get it <A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca" target="_new">here</A>. Left you the do.txt to read in case you want to use the DO disk. I'm rusty about the 98 boot disk use, long time since I had to use it so forgot (it's old age, I just blame it on everything else :wink: )

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to retain the warranty on your processor, don't use the arctic silver. Just install the heatsink per directions that come with it.

I'm sure you didn't really mean that comment but just in case: Never turn you computer on without a heatsink installed correctly on the processor. Not even for a few seconds.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Win98 Setup:

My first suggestion would be go to your favorite search engine and type in "clean install of win98" or "installing windows98" or something like that.
But here are the basics:

1. Create a system disk - control panel - system - tab over until you see a box for "create system disk"

2. Insert that disk into the floppy. Reboot.
3. at command prompt type: format c:
** you will get a warning that says something like " this will erase all your data blah blah blah " Just say ok
4. Your hard drive will be formatted. No need to partition it since its already partitioned.
5. after format. insert win98 CD into CD-rom. From within DOS switch over the cd-rom by typing: d:
** the floppy disk you made should have a generic cd-rom driver that should allow you to access the cd-rom drive. If you cant access the cd-rom, try copying the driver from the floppy to the newly formatted C drive. The command ( i think) is: copy filename a: c:
If that doesnt work, just copy the entire floppy over to the c drive. go look "dos commands" up on the web, i forget the command for that.
this assumed 'a' is your floppy and 'c' you new hard drive. And 'filename' is the name od the driver. Which I think has the word "oak" in it somewhere (dont ask me why).

Once you have access to the D: (your cr-rom) you will see the d: dos command prompt. type in: setup
It will look like this-> d:setup

Now windows will start doing all kinds of [-peep-]. Remove the floppy and follow the on-screen instructions. And thats the easy part. getting the motherboard drivers and video card drivers (along with the other 50 million drivers) is the challenging part.

ps: i may have screwed up some minor details but the above is meant as a guide, not 100% truth

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
why are you so reluctant about formatting ur hdd... do u have partitioned hdd? if so why do u worry all u gotta do is save ur imp data on "D:" if thats ur 2nd partition and format the c: and reinstall a fresh copy of ur OS.. believe me i have gone through hell for not doin that... so if u wanna save yourself major pain in ass the format it and get over with it.
so inshort first install your hardware first and than format and reinstall your OS and u should be a very happy person :)

THE MAIN CAUSE FOR GLOBAL WARMING- MY KICK ASS ATHLON XP ;)

G

Thanks Angel, I was thinking the same thing at work today. Makes alot of sense. That should give me a clean install on "C" and I can save things on "D"

G

I have decided to do a clean install of XP on my C drive. I have moved any files I want to save to D ( also backed up important data on a CD). I think this will be the best way to go. I had planned to move up to XP in the future, might as well do it now.
Does anyone have any more tips? I have printed all the previous and appreciate all the help.