Hi,
I updated to MSN7 yesterday and everthing has been fine, but tonight I keep
getting a windows messenger 5.1 installer box coming up and everytime I
cancel it, it comes back. Any ideas please?

Greetings,

To correct this, click Start,then Run, and type the following:
msiexec /x {C3A6819F-62D3-4750-AF1C-28206DDF2C2E}
then click OK.

Then, after uninstallation, reinstall Windows Messenger 5.1 from:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"collywobs" <Collywobs@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I updated to MSN7 yesterday and everthing has been fine, but tonight I keep getting a
> windows messenger 5.1 installer box coming up and everytime I cancel it, it comes back. Any
> ideas please?

Thanks, so what you are saying is I need to put 5.1 back on, to be able to
use MSN7?

> Greetings,
>
> To correct this, click Start,then Run, and type the following:
> msiexec /x {C3A6819F-62D3-4750-AF1C-28206DDF2C2E}
> then click OK.
>
> Then, after uninstallation, reinstall Windows Messenger 5.1 from:
> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "collywobs" <Collywobs@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I updated to MSN7 yesterday and everthing has been fine, but tonight I
>> keep getting a windows messenger 5.1 installer box coming up and
>> everytime I cancel it, it comes back. Any ideas please?

Hi,

What's happening is there are plenty of shared components between the two Messenger clients
and the Windows Installer is "protecting" on of them. If you want, just remove Windows
Messenger entirely without reinstalling it but if you do, functionality like Application
Sharing, Whiteboard and Remote Assistance will no longer work in MSN Messenger.

> Thanks, so what you are saying is I need to put 5.1 back on, to be able to use MSN7?
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> To correct this, click Start,then Run, and type the following:
>> msiexec /x {C3A6819F-62D3-4750-AF1C-28206DDF2C2E}
>> then click OK.
>>
>> Then, after uninstallation, reinstall Windows Messenger 5.1 from:
>> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "collywobs" <Collywobs@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I updated to MSN7 yesterday and everthing has been fine, but tonight I keep getting a
>>> windows messenger 5.1 installer box coming up and everytime I cancel it, it comes back.
>>> Any ideas please?

TRENDING THREADS