Laptop--CD query

OK, I got my new Inspiron 2200 today.

It works great. I had set up a Linksys router in advance and everything
clicked in. It works perfectly and the signal is excellent.

I've gotten the XP SP2 updates installed as well as my AV s-ware and ZA.

I am having one problem.

I have these CD's that are RW CD's.

My intent is to use them to xfer some files from my Desktop to my laptop and
later do the reverse.

Well, no problem moving files to my laptop.

But, when I put the CD in, it says something like the DLA can only read from
this CD it cannot add to or write to it.

Is there anything I can do to allow it to write to the CD's I currently
have??

Mel
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop query

    Assuming the 2200 has a CD-RW drive, and the necessary software, you would
    need to erase the disk(s) and format them properly.

    Check the properties of the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Right
    click the drive and choose Properties. Make sure it shows the drive as
    enabled for recording (burning or writing).

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > OK, I got my new Inspiron 2200 today.
    >
    > It works great. I had set up a Linksys router in advance and everything
    > clicked in. It works perfectly and the signal is excellent.
    >
    > I've gotten the XP SP2 updates installed as well as my AV s-ware and ZA.
    >
    > I am having one problem.
    >
    > I have these CD's that are RW CD's.
    >
    > My intent is to use them to xfer some files from my Desktop to my laptop
    > and later do the reverse.
    >
    > Well, no problem moving files to my laptop.
    >
    > But, when I put the CD in, it says something like the DLA can only read
    > from this CD it cannot add to or write to it.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to allow it to write to the CD's I currently
    > have??
    >
    > Mel

    Kevin:

    I'll check (wife is using laptop right now (or should I say write now).

    But my specs sheet from Dell says :
    "Combo/DVD +RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive"
    Doesn't that sound like the CD should be RW???

    I don't see why I would have to reformat the CD, but I may do that.

    The CD's were originally formatted on my Dell Dim 2400 using Roxio CD
    Creator.

    Another possibility: perhaps I can install that also on my laptop (I have
    the back-up CDs for Roxio).

    I'll check.

    Mel

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Assuming the 2200 has a CD-RW drive, and the necessary software, you would
    > need to erase the disk(s) and format them properly.
    >
    > Check the properties of the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
    > Right click the drive and choose Properties. Make sure it shows the drive
    > as enabled for recording (burning or writing).
    >
    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> OK, I got my new Inspiron 2200 today.
    >>
    >> It works great. I had set up a Linksys router in advance and everything
    >> clicked in. It works perfectly and the signal is excellent.
    >>
    >> I've gotten the XP SP2 updates installed as well as my AV s-ware and ZA.
    >>
    >> I am having one problem.
    >>
    >> I have these CD's that are RW CD's.
    >>
    >> My intent is to use them to xfer some files from my Desktop to my laptop
    >> and later do the reverse.
    >>
    >> Well, no problem moving files to my laptop.
    >>
    >> But, when I put the CD in, it says something like the DLA can only read
    >> from this CD it cannot add to or write to it.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can do to allow it to write to the CD's I currently
    >> have??
    >>
    >> Mel

    Kevin:

    It IS R/W.

    I might try and install Roxio on my notebook and see if that will work.

    Mel
    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Assuming the 2200 has a CD-RW drive, and the necessary software, you would
    > need to erase the disk(s) and format them properly.
    >
    > Check the properties of the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
    > Right click the drive and choose Properties. Make sure it shows the drive
    > as enabled for recording (burning or writing).
    >
    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> OK, I got my new Inspiron 2200 today.
    >>
    >> It works great. I had set up a Linksys router in advance and everything
    >> clicked in. It works perfectly and the signal is excellent.
    >>
    >> I've gotten the XP SP2 updates installed as well as my AV s-ware and ZA.
    >>
    >> I am having one problem.
    >>
    >> I have these CD's that are RW CD's.
    >>
    >> My intent is to use them to xfer some files from my Desktop to my laptop
    >> and later do the reverse.
    >>
    >> Well, no problem moving files to my laptop.
    >>
    >> But, when I put the CD in, it says something like the DLA can only read
    >> from this CD it cannot add to or write to it.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can do to allow it to write to the CD's I currently
    >> have??
    >>
    >> Mel

    I've done very little with rewritable CDs. I generally use the much cheaper and
    more reliable write-once CDs, which can also be updated if your CD burning
    software supports multi-session. Nero does multisession. The pitiful excuse
    for CD burning built into Windows does not, and it may not support rewritable
    CDs either.

    Why not share a folder or two on one of the computers and copy files back and
    forth across the network you now have? ... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:31:00 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

    >OK, I got my new Inspiron 2200 today.
    >
    >It works great. I had set up a Linksys router in advance and everything
    >clicked in. It works perfectly and the signal is excellent.
    >
    >I've gotten the XP SP2 updates installed as well as my AV s-ware and ZA.
    >
    >I am having one problem.
    >
    >I have these CD's that are RW CD's.
    >
    >My intent is to use them to xfer some files from my Desktop to my laptop and
    >later do the reverse.
    >
    >Well, no problem moving files to my laptop.
    >
    >But, when I put the CD in, it says something like the DLA can only read from
    >this CD it cannot add to or write to it.
    >
    >Is there anything I can do to allow it to write to the CD's I currently
    >have??
    >
    >Mel

Dell Laptops CD-Rom Computers