CPU / Heat sink challenges

I'm trying to swap the P4-2.66 from my Dimension 4550 with the P4-1.8 from
my Optiplex GX260.

The P4-2.66 came out fine and separated from it's heat sink. Put it in the
GX260 and everything works perfectly.

The challenge is the P4-1.8. It is stuck, hard, to the heat sink. I can't
get it to seat properly in the 4550, as they need to go in one at a time.
Can't even get it back in its donor GX260 (frustrated, as I bent a pin, but
it straightened OK).

How the heck do I get the CPU free from the heat sink?

Tom

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Insert a screwdriver between the cpu and the heatsink and lever off or just
twist the two off
> I'm trying to swap the P4-2.66 from my Dimension 4550 with the P4-1.8 from
> my Optiplex GX260.
>
> The P4-2.66 came out fine and separated from it's heat sink. Put it in
> the GX260 and everything works perfectly.
>
> The challenge is the P4-1.8. It is stuck, hard, to the heat sink. I
> can't get it to seat properly in the 4550, as they need to go in one at a
> time. Can't even get it back in its donor GX260 (frustrated, as I bent a
> pin, but it straightened OK).
>
> How the heck do I get the CPU free from the heat sink?
>
> Tom

get some good quality dental floss and see if you can saw the floss
between the 2. You may also want to try a hair dryer or heat gun to
see if you can soften up the heat sink compound or try putting it in
the freezer and see if you can make it brittle?

Wayne

Tom Scales wrote:

> I'm trying to swap the P4-2.66 from my Dimension 4550 with the P4-1.8
> from my Optiplex GX260.
>
> The P4-2.66 came out fine and separated from it's heat sink. Put it
> in the GX260 and everything works perfectly.
>
> The challenge is the P4-1.8. It is stuck, hard, to the heat sink. I
> can't get it to seat properly in the 4550, as they need to go in one
> at a time. Can't even get it back in its donor GX260 (frustrated, as
> I bent a pin, but it straightened OK).
>
> How the heck do I get the CPU free from the heat sink?
>
> Tom

I tried that and it is like they are welded together. I'll give it a shot.
Worst case, I've ruined a $50 CPU.

Tom

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:39:28 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>I tried that and it is like they are welded together. I'll give it a shot.
>Worst case, I've ruined a $50 CPU.
>
>Tom
>"Fixer" <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Insert a screwdriver between the cpu and the heatsink and lever off or
>> just twist the two off
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to swap the P4-2.66 from my Dimension 4550 with the P4-1.8
>>> from my Optiplex GX260.
>>>
>>> The P4-2.66 came out fine and separated from it's heat sink. Put it in
>>> the GX260 and everything works perfectly.
>>>
>>> The challenge is the P4-1.8. It is stuck, hard, to the heat sink. I
>>> can't get it to seat properly in the 4550, as they need to go in one at a
>>> time. Can't even get it back in its donor GX260 (frustrated, as I bent a
>>> pin, but it straightened OK).
>>>
>>> How the heck do I get the CPU free from the heat sink?
>>>
>>> Tom
I use Lacquer thinner (Nail Polish remover) dribbled between the HS
and CPU to soften the glue on the tape.

DO NOT get this on plastic parts.

I also use a putty knife that spreads the load when prying YMMV
Replace that yucky tape with a GOOD coumpound like Arctic Silver.

>I tried that and it is like they are welded together. I'll give it a shot.
>Worst case, I've ruined a $50 CPU.
>
> Tom
> "Fixer" <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Insert a screwdriver between the cpu and the heatsink and lever off or
>> just twist the two off
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to swap the P4-2.66 from my Dimension 4550 with the P4-1.8
>>> from my Optiplex GX260.
>>>
>>> The P4-2.66 came out fine and separated from it's heat sink. Put it in
>>> the GX260 and everything works perfectly.
>>>
>>> The challenge is the P4-1.8. It is stuck, hard, to the heat sink. I
>>> can't get it to seat properly in the 4550, as they need to go in one at
>>> a time. Can't even get it back in its donor GX260 (frustrated, as I bent
>>> a pin, but it straightened OK).
>>>
>>> How the heck do I get the CPU free from the heat sink?
>>>
>>> Tom

Tom,

Don't sweat it, it's not ruined at all. It's just the compound Dell used at
that time drys very hard and thus, it's stuck.

You can use anything from a small flathead to the green heatsink clips
themselves to gently slide in the gap, then lightly turn to "pop" it loose.

No harm no foul. They are much tougher than they appear. Just use care with
the pins.

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

>>I tried that and it is like they are welded together. I'll give it a
>>shot. Worst case, I've ruined a $50 CPU.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Fixer" <the.hedonist@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Insert a screwdriver between the cpu and the heatsink and lever off or
>>> just twist the two off
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> Tom,
>
> Don't sweat it, it's not ruined at all. It's just the compound Dell used
> at that time drys very hard and thus, it's stuck.
>
> You can use anything from a small flathead to the green heatsink clips
> themselves to gently slide in the gap, then lightly turn to "pop" it
> loose.
>
> No harm no foul. They are much tougher than they appear. Just use care
> with the pins.
>

> Stew

Actually, I managed to pry it off. Unfortunately, I had already bent 3 pins.
I very, very carefully bent them back and the CPU is running happily in my
4550 and the 2.66 is running happily in the GX260.

The GX260 had two things that appealed to me. The first is integrated
gigabit, which I run on my house backbone. The second was integrated audio.
For the use I am using this particular machine, integrated audio is fine.
The combination freed up two PCI slots.

Otherwise, the two models are identical.

Tom