When will EvDO be in Houston?

Anyone know when EvDO will be in the Houston area? Verizon indicated in a
public announcement that all major markets would have it by Summer 2004.

I have gone to some Verizon stores, asking about it but the salespeople know
nothing about it. Same results when I call about it. I sent an email to
Verizon but I only received a general statement stating that Verizon is
working on it, etc..

Anyone have any idea when it will be in Houston?

The people that know the most about this are the people that actually build
the next works e.g. Nortel, Lucent. If you ever see one of those guys ask
around ask them, seriously. The people at the VZW stores really don't know
much about it. But the head tech guy at the store on Post Oak seems to know
the most.

"J. E. Smith, DDS" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The people that know the most about this are the people that actually
build
> the next works e.g. Nortel, Lucent. If you ever see one of those guys ask
> around ask them, seriously. The people at the VZW stores really don't know
> much about it. But the head tech guy at the store on Post Oak seems to
know
> the most.

Thanks but I am fairly sure, from my analysis of QUalcomm, that it is a
simple software upgrade. So while there might be some network engineering
to do, it wont be very hardware intensive.

9 Nines wrote:
> "J. E. Smith, DDS" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>The people that know the most about this are the people that actually
>
> build
>
>>the next works e.g. Nortel, Lucent. If you ever see one of those guys ask
>>around ask them, seriously. The people at the VZW stores really don't know
>>much about it. But the head tech guy at the store on Post Oak seems to
>
> know
>
>>the most.
>>

> Thanks but I am fairly sure, from my analysis of QUalcomm, that it is a
> simple software upgrade. So while there might be some network engineering
> to do, it wont be very hardware intensive.

I can assure you, you are very wrong. The EVDO architecture involves
new switch side hardware, as well as cell site hardware, it is not a
simple software upgrade. The airlink architecture is radically
different from the current CDMA architecture, so none of the current
hardware was built to support it. There is alos a move to a fully
packet system for backhaul etc.

BTW: The Houston market will launch EVDO service later this year.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:30:07 GMT, Mike Gorman <mgorman1@carolina.rr.com>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>9 Nines wrote:
>>
>> Thanks but I am fairly sure, from my analysis of QUalcomm, that it is a
>> simple software upgrade. So while there might be some network engineering
>> to do, it wont be very hardware intensive.
>>
> I can assure you, you are very wrong. The EVDO architecture involves
>new switch side hardware, as well as cell site hardware, it is not a
>simple software upgrade. The airlink architecture is radically
>different from the current CDMA architecture, so none of the current
>hardware was built to support it. There is alos a move to a fully
>packet system for backhaul etc.

How long does it take for the techies to change out a single tower?
Minutes? Hours? Days?

I ask because the other night, just after 11pm, my phone gave the
boodooBOOP noise it makes when it loses or changes coverage. I looked and
it was on analog. This was in my house, where there is always a good
(albeit not full scale) 1x signal. (Chicago market.)

I never heard another booDOOP, but about 40 minutes later, it was back on
1x.

I assume the tower just went down for some reason and later came up again,
but it would be interesting to know if they took it down for an EVDO
upgrade.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Okay, this is really starting to grate my cheese." - Xander Harris

David S wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:30:07 GMT, Mike Gorman <mgorman1@carolina.rr.com>
> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
> everything:
>

>>9 Nines wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks but I am fairly sure, from my analysis of QUalcomm, that it is a
>>>simple software upgrade. So while there might be some network engineering
>>>to do, it wont be very hardware intensive.
>>>

>> I can assure you, you are very wrong. The EVDO architecture involves
>>new switch side hardware, as well as cell site hardware, it is not a
>>simple software upgrade. The airlink architecture is radically
>>different from the current CDMA architecture, so none of the current
>>hardware was built to support it. There is alos a move to a fully
>>packet system for backhaul etc.
>

> How long does it take for the techies to change out a single tower?
> Minutes? Hours? Days?
>
> I ask because the other night, just after 11pm, my phone gave the
> boodooBOOP noise it makes when it loses or changes coverage. I looked and
> it was on analog. This was in my house, where there is always a good
> (albeit not full scale) 1x signal. (Chicago market.)
>
> I never heard another booDOOP, but about 40 minutes later, it was back on
> 1x.
>
> I assume the tower just went down for some reason and later came up again,
> but it would be interesting to know if they took it down for an EVDO
> upgrade.

It depends on the infrastructure involved, and a lot of other things.
It could have been a software upgrade, or some other work, or it just
might be EVDO work. A lot of work is being done as soon as equipment
shows up, becusae there is so much to do for a large scale rollout that
nobody can wait, even it the equipment won't be in service for months.