Intel Drops the Prices of Several CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]Hope they don't keep this up. AMD's main thing has been good, cheap quad-cores (Athlon II), and powerful dual-cores (phenomII). If they get the E8400 down...*shivers*.[/citation]
I hope they keep this up. It's good for competition and will cause a general lowering of prices.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]Hope they don't keep this up. AMD's main thing has been good, cheap quad-cores (Athlon II), and powerful dual-cores (phenomII). If they get the E8400 down...*shivers*.[/citation]
Uh, what? You want AMD to remain as the cheaper choice just because they're AMD?

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]come on give us the I7 920 for 150.00 please!!![/citation]

Intel does'nt drop prices until Intel feel threatened that Amd pwns. So Lets all pray that amd delivers Phenom III thats an octacore. Then you will see cheap i7's.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
These chips are about to die anyway. ALl newer entry level chips after this year will most likely be atoms for the netbooks, dual core atoms, and then skip sku's all the way to core2duos which will be basic cpus. I think pentium and celeron has had their long run and their demise has long been extended until this year.

It would pave the way for other middle tier cpus in intels lineup like the c2q, core i3, and core 15 to be positioned as the norm/consumer friendly chips while the i7's, and 6-8core chips with the lga1336 will still be high end.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom]yeah all these chips are on a dead socket.[/citation][citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]woohooo!!!! dropping prices on crappy EOL(end of life) CPU's way to go Intel.[/citation]

Yeah, just how many people outside the tech community use LGA 1156/1366? I still have a pentium D 820 that could use an upgrade, and there's a world of difference a Pentium D and a Wolfdale-based Pentium in terms of heat usage and clock efficiency. Think "double" everything, and you get the idea (half the power consumption/heat production, double the processing power).

[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Yeah, just how many people outside the tech community use LGA 1156/1366? I still have a pentium D 820 that could use an upgrade, and there's a world of difference a Pentium D and a Wolfdale-based Pentium in terms of heat usage and clock efficiency. Think "double" everything, and you get the idea (half the power consumption/heat production, double the processing power).[/citation]
Yeah, but can that motherboard with the PD 820 support a Wolfdale (as in BIOS support)?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
ITS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR SINCE THE Q9550 SAW A PRICE DROP, CMON INTEL....

im probably just gonna scrap my lga 775 and get a am3 mobo if the q9550 isnt $150 by the summer

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]Intel does'nt drop prices until Intel feel threatened that Amd pwns. So Lets all pray that amd delivers Phenom III thats an octacore. Then you will see cheap i7's.[/citation]

Octacore is a thought that makes me feel all warm and tingly. Hope we see a few before this year is out. :)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think the title is a little misleading.

It looks like Intel is introducing two new models (E6600 and E3400), and moving the others downstream. Both look to be attractive products for the cost, especially when you consider the low power use.

People can scream about quad core this and that, but for the average person who surfs, goes on facebook, instant messages, etc..., these products are powerful enough, and come with a very low power use. Quad core isn't necessary for everyone.

Also, most people don't care about the socket the processor is installed on going away, for the simple reason most people don't upgrade processors. I've never seen the point myself. By the time your processor is old, you're probably better off replacing the motherboard too. At least most of the time.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]I hope they keep this up. It's good for competition and will cause a general lowering of prices.[/citation]

not neccesarraly, if they are using their dominant market share and massive amounts of money to sell their processors at a loss in the hope that amd will go out of buisness trying to compete so that they will be the only one left and they can charge what ever they want then no. it won't be good.

however, I don't think thats the case here, I think they are just clearing stuff out to make room for the i5s and i3s??

AMD can't sit there and go, "well, we're shit, but we're cheap!" if intel through better processes can make processors that are better or as good for cheaper than amd, well, too bad amd, maybe now they will wake up again and try to beat intel at the top end rather than just targeting price brackets that intel don't have covered at the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.