Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Computer
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:21:04 AM

turned on my computer and changed a setting in the BIOS and exited and saved. When it exits it is supposed to go back to a screen that lists my processor type, temperatures etc. instead it goes to some other screen saying about boot disk failure. i turn the computer off and now it won't turn back on. does this mean that i have a bad BIOS? I built my computer 2 days ago and have turned it off an on several times but the first time i changed some setting in the BIOS the computer doesn't start again. Im getting some post code of FF for my motherboard which is an epox 8kha+. i bought all my stuff new from newegg.com. someone please help me.

More about : computer boots shuts

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:26:08 AM

The post codes should be explained in your mother board manual.

What setting was it that you changed?

----------------------------
The mightly oak is just a nut that stood it's ground
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:29:38 AM

the post codes are explained in the manuel but makes absolutely no sense. for post code FF it says: Boot attempt (INT 19h) Now what exactly does this mean? this is all that it says for this post code. I can't do anything on my computer because now it doesn't even turn on. the only setting i changed was the date and time. it was the first time i saved a setting in the BIOs.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:43:17 AM

There should be a BIOS reset jumper somewhere on your mother board. This will reset the bios as soon as the board gets power.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:47:12 AM

really? where is the BIOS reset jumper supposed to be? don't see it anywhere. there is a clear cmos jumper. is that the same thing?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:51:03 AM

Yup that's it.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:54:04 AM

my motherboard manuel does not explain how to clear cmos. how exactly do i do it? it does say to cover up pins 2-3 to clear cmos but for how long and do i leave them covered?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 2:58:14 AM

The way it works is that if the pins are covered when the board gets power then the BIOS is automatically reset. You should then be able to go into the bios, if you want, to change anything you need to or just use your computer as is. You just have to remember to take the jumper off after you turn off your computer.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 3:06:10 AM

not sure if i understand what you mean. so with the power off do i change the jumper setting and then turn the computer on with the changed jumper setting? after that when i change the jumper setting back to normal won't i get the same problem? i might try it and see what happens.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 3:13:35 AM

Ya, to change any setting that is pysical to the mother board (jumper, switch, card ...) you always want to have the power off. Jump the BIOS/CMOS reset jumpers. Once you turn the computer on, if the problem was a BIOS setting problem, then it should boot normally. You can then turn your computer off and remove the jumper.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 3:30:58 AM

when you say turn your computer off and remove jumper, do yo mean that i put the jumper back to normal pins it was originally on? thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2002 3:36:14 AM

Ya, the original possition it was in is just a place to store the jumper so you don't loose it. It doesn't serve any functional purpose in it's original position.

March 4, 2002 8:44:57 AM

funny, I have the same mobo as you do...on various occasions I get the same error code you get, the floppy.

You say the computer wont POST, or start at all?
I always go thru this special procedure to start my computer.

when I push startbutton, the computer should POST, but it doesn´t.
To solve this I have to push the reset button. When I do this the computer POST´s as it supposed to do.
Kind of odd.

CH3-P(=O)(-F)(-OCH(CH33)2)
*** Yummy ***
!