Timbo55

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
Hello,

I'm trying to get my head around choosing a MB for my new computer. I'm starting with a "clean sheet". I have a good idea of the features I definately want as listed below

Don't really care Intel P4 or AMD Athlon. only buying mid-low range CPU (P4 1.7 or AMD 1500...)

(Prefer AMD due to lower pricing)

Chipset - I assume you guys could recommend which is the best chipset that will support the features I am looking for on the board.

Can anyone recommend a board that has these features -

DDR memory support (2-3GB)

no built in sound (adding PCI card)

no built in graphics (adding PCI card)

6 x PCI

1 x AGP(x4)

3 x USB 2.0 (6 ports)
OR
2 x USB 2.0 (4 ports)

all the usual other ports (mouse, kb, parallel, serial etc)

no RAID required

2 x IDE channels (support 4 devices)
OR
4 x IDE channels (if there is such a thing)

not interested in overclocking or anything fancy like that. just want a good quality, dependable, solid board that allows me to add lots of "things" to my computer.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Tim....

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The MSI K7T266Pro2-RU is for the AMD-platform and it meets all your requirements except that it has 5 not 6 PCI slots.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Agreed. It costs less than $115 at Pricewatch.com. It also has on-board audio and RAID, but these can be disabled in the BIOS.

You may want to wait until next month when the KT333 based mobo's are out. Lots of mobo's meet your specs except for the USB 2.0. All mobo's with the kt333 chipset will support USB 2.0, giving you a broader range of choices.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
The Abit KR7A meets all those requirements, mine is coming in the mail sometime this week.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I vote for waiting till KT333 is out, it should B good & hopefully will have a longer lifetime than older chipets (or even Nforce2 if they can improve it performance)

(damn only bought my KT266A last November & already it is old)

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---