New Technology

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
Hey to all comunity....
as to fuel the DDR II / RDRAM II contriversy.....
please read the following....
It is an exerpt taken from a technical reseller website.
the author is from a major supplier of hardware but sorry I'm not at liberty to say from whom or where I got it.....
Read on, very interesting....
(write-up in red)

<font color=red>
I'd like to give all of you a heads up on what's coming down the pike in terms of motherboard products for the next 3 to 6 month so that you can prepare for it.

2002 will be a interesting year to everyone in the channel including end users with rapid changing chipsets and functions. This rapid change translates into short product life cycle and of course, confusion to everyone. So without further delay, allow me to present you the big picture of motherboard business in 2002.

1. Technology

We are going to see the following technologies available for the motherboard:

ATA-133 (Faster hard drive performance)
USB 2.0 (External CD-RW for faster burn)
IEEE 1394 (There are over 15 million digital camcorder with iLink (1394) output. Entry video-editing software is only retailed at $39.95 for home movie and this number is growing fast)
8 X AGP (Blazing 3D games and application)
Pentium 4 CPU with 133MHz FSB (System bus running at 533MHz)
New 6 channel (5.1) audio on-board
Serial ATA interface (New IDE standards that guarantees much faster than ATA-133)
Blue tooth on-board for PDA wireless communications
802.11b wireless LAN on-board
DDR 400 (Yes, faster than DDR333)
DDR II (Yes, faster than DDR400)
Dual RDRAM 1066 (Yes, faster than RAMBUS PC800)
3GIO (3rd generation I/O)

2. Platform

Next generation Intel P-4 chipset with on-die video (built inside the north bridge)
Next generation Intel P-4 chipset that supports 533MHz system bus
Next generation SiS AMD single chip DDR solution
Next generation SiS P-4 chipsets
Next generation VIA AMD chipsets
Next generation AMD K-8 chipset from SiS, VIA and AMD (Yes AMD K-8)

3. Feature set on the south bridge

Currently, all ATA-133 hard drive interface on-board were implemented by having a separate controller glued to the motherboard design. But by April time frame, this new interface will be included in the south bridge from SiS and VIA.

Competing motherboards may have the same ATA-133 interface but different cost structure. (south bridge built-in vs. extra glued chip)

Same principle applies to USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 and all other features I mentioned earlier.

There will be a line of AMD K-7 DDR platform within same performance range but wider gap on pricing due to the SiS single chip AMD K-7 DDR solution will be available. (SiS's single chip solution vs. other 2-chip chipset solutions)

Therefore, please expect the following scenario may most likely to happen:

1. Short product life cycle - AOpen may have one platform for less than 1 month.

2. Product phase-out notice may not be on-time since we are watching the market carefully and prepared to counter competition in terms of pricing and product offerings.

3. Batch business model - By having one batch production of specific model for the market and phased-out replacing with better and feature-rich models (i.e. From AK77 Pro to AK77 Pro(A) to AK77 Pro(A)-133)

4. Paralleled product line with same feature but price gap

Example: AK88-133 vs. AK88 Pro

Both boards have ATA133 on-board, but one is glued chip costs $15 more than the other one that has ATA-133 interface built-in on the south bridge.

Same principle applies to USB 2.0 as well as all other features.

5. 8X AGP will happen very soon and it will also mean that the AGP card business will be change rapidly

Every tier-one motherboard company including AOpen already have more than 200 motherboards line up from now till 3Q. This is also a touch stone for "true" tier-one motherboard company to manage and execute complex design, manufacturing, service and support and logistics. Weaker motherboard players will bite the dust.

AOpen motherboard division will take the following steps to work with you and ensure your growth and profitability:

a. Based on your request, a specific model can be maintained and prolonged for its life cycle for crucial business.

b. Take necessary steps to ensure your inventory value be protected.

c. Provide up-to-date product information and advise possible migration ahead of the curve.

d. System configuration consultation

e. All other technical selling issues.

We also welcome your suggestions on how to best maneuver the complexity of your business model and make it a successful one.

Thank you
</font color=red>

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
No offense, but most of this is already known. Also, ATA133 does not really provide any performance increase.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
DDR 400 (Yes, faster than DDR333)
DDR II (Yes, faster than DDR400)
Dual RDRAM 1066 (Yes, faster than RAMBUS PC800)

this is the part that i was suggesting......plus the dates listed (3 to 6 months for this to occure in the retail sector) alot of interest I think since it suggests that the battle of DDR VS RDRAM may be decided in the next 6 months.

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Heh, I didn't want to say anything :tongue:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!