Netgear MR814 connection speeds

bort

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Hi all

I've been hooked up with the Rogers Extreme service for a while now, and
have
noticed the following (in my setup):

- when wired directly to the modem, I am able to reach the 5 Mbps level
- when wired directly to the MR814 router and then to the modem, I am able
reach the 4 Mbps level
- when wirelessly directed to the MR814 router and then to the modem, I am
able to
reach the 3 Mbps level

Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour? I'm running the latest firmware
for the router, and have an Intel PRO/Wireless LAN PC Card.

tia
bort

Hactar

In article <D8FIc.34$XmO1.22@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
bort <spambort@rogers.com> wrote:
> I've been hooked up with the Rogers Extreme service for a while now, and
> have noticed the following (in my setup):
>
> - when wired directly to the modem, I am able to reach the 5 Mbps level
> - when wired directly to the MR814 router and then to the modem, I am able
> to reach the 4 Mbps level
> - when wirelessly directed to the MR814 router and then to the modem, I am
> able to reach the 3 Mbps level

My guess is added latency from the router and from 802.11 transmission. (I
have the same router and wireless NIC.)

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says,
"What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"