No New Half-Life This Year? (Say It Isn't So!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
That's great news! I don't want companies churning out half-ass games every year just to make more money. Make each game count and something special, or don't make it at all. There's too many games, and too little time to play them all.

G

I believe that Black Mesa should be done this year. It is a high quality remake of Half Life by fans! And it should be free if you own a Source game already!

sinsear

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]That's great news! I don't want companies churning out half-ass games every year just to make more money. Make each game count and something special, or don't make it at all. There's too many games, and too little time to play them all.[/citation]
While this is true, one can also go too far in the opposite end of the spectrum *cough* Blizzard *cough*

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Come on Valve pull your fingers out your arse and give us Episode 3! By the end of this year it will have been 3 years since you released Episode 2!

G

Black Mesa should be finished this year *fingers crossed*. Plus it will be free if you already own a Source Engine game!

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]sinsear[/nom]While this is true, one can also go too far in the opposite end of the spectrum *cough* Blizzard *cough*[/citation]

*cough* Duke Nukem Forever *cough*

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]That's great news! I don't want companies churning out half-ass games every year just to make more money. Make each game count and something special, or don't make it at all. There's too many games, and too little time to play them all.[/citation]
*cough* Guitar Hero *cough*

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I think the reason is pretty clear: Left 4 Dead 2. This is why I didn't want L4D2 to be made this last year. (I did want it made tho, maybe in another year or two. Possibly with a new Source engine). I want HL2:E3 so that Valve can move on to new stuff and then come out with HL3 with a new, baller engine. The Source engine will really be showing its age in 2011, and Valve will probably NOT use a new engine for Episode 3.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]RobiosEra[/nom]Black Mesa should be finished this year *fingers crossed*. Plus it will be free if you already own a Source Engine game![/citation]
*Put's on robotic singing voice* Maybe Black Mesa? That was a joke, haha fat chance.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
1) The source engine is already showing its age. (see: constant patches for any Valve game released in the last 2 years)
2) Valve, unfortunately, seems to be going the Infinity Ward route and will try to release poor re-hashes of its original franchises until it looses most of its customers.
3) If more people complained (see: L4D2 boycott) about shitty coding, perhaps they would bother to make a new engine. And by "new engine", I don't mean "Source patch 1000,1000,1000.1".

AgentJTP9

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
*sigh* This was pulled from the rumors section of the GI this month, so I could hardly call this a reliable article. Yet the gaming press doesn't have the training of real journalism to actually check sources. We may not get it this year, but my gut feeling is (yes a gut feeling) we will get SOMETHING out of E3 this year (A teaser trailer perhaps).

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Well, with the quality valve cranks out, the delays they have are usually ok. Im still waiting for a remake of WWF No Mercy and Duke Nukem forever, so for me, anything that comes out is cool. BTW, source engine is oldish, but it still does the job while running on a ton of configs. I dont mind "last gen" graphics one bit.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
i don't even care anymore. by now I've pretty much forgotten the plot for half life 2 to even want to continue with expansion

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, how funny would it be if they did release it as epesode 3...

like "WTF!? how come you can churn out 2 'full' games in L4D one and two in less time than it takes to make ONE CHAPETER for half life!?"

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
L4D is crap, HL and Portal are the only two great games they make, they need to stop with the crap and keep working the good stuff. Each episode has taken too far, they are loosing their greatness with HL at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.