messenger won't launch after installing SP2

So I installed SP2 on some of my machines here at work and now messenger
won't launch. I go to launch it and it is just unresponsive. Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about messenger launch installing

    Greetings,

    Which "Messenger" are we referring to; MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger and which version?
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "inurmix" <inurmix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So I installed SP2 on some of my machines here at work and now messenger
    > won't launch. I go to launch it and it is just unresponsive. Any ideas?

    Windows messenger 5.1

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Which "Messenger" are we referring to; MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger and which version?
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "inurmix" <inurmix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So I installed SP2 on some of my machines here at work and now messenger
    > > won't launch. I go to launch it and it is just unresponsive. Any ideas?

    Hi,

    Try running the following registry files on one of the PCs where it won't work anymore.
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
    After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.

    > Windows messenger 5.1
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Which "Messenger" are we referring to; MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger and which
    >> version?
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "inurmix" <inurmix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > So I installed SP2 on some of my machines here at work and now messenger
    >> > won't launch. I go to launch it and it is just unresponsive. Any ideas?

    That didn't work. Any other suggestions?

    "inurmix" wrote:

    > So I installed SP2 on some of my machines here at work and now messenger
    > won't launch. I go to launch it and it is just unresponsive. Any ideas?

    I was looking at those registry scripts and they just verify that the value
    data is set to 0 which I already did.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Try running the following registry files on one of the PCs where it won't work anymore.
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
    > After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "inurmix" <inurmix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows messenger 5.1
    > >
    > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings,
    > >>
    > >> Which "Messenger" are we referring to; MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger and which
    > >> version?
    > >> Jonathan Kay
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    > >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >>
    > >> "inurmix" <inurmix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP