Motherboard or display card problem

G

Hi, I just bought a new cpu and motherboard.

This is my current system config
Amd XP 1700+
ECS K7S5A(Sis735)
384mb SDRAM
GeForce 2 MX 400

When I tried to run some 3d games(RTCW, MOHAA and rainbow 6), the system freezed(after loading the game). I have d/l the detonator 27.70 and the SiS AGP driver, and the problem is still there. The windows is telling me it's caused by the graphic card.

Is it coz of the driver?

When I was playing games in my old system(AMD 300, win2k), I have no problem with the graphic card, though it's slow.

Any help would be great, thx!!

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i think i read somewhere about this problem... goto ECS website and update your bios.

THE MAIN CAUSE FOR GLOBAL WARMING- MY KICK ASS ATHLON XP ;)

G

I tried the one on Nvidia website, detonator XP 23.12 and I can't even start up the game, something like can't open OPENGL.

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Did you reformat/partition your HDD and do a fresh install of XP, or did you simply install XP over your existing OS?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
did you flash the bios???
i know it sounds odd..but the bios changes timings, and newer bioses are usually timed better, and will give you more stability...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Play around with the "Program Compatibility Wizard" and see if that helps - I haven't had to used it before, but I think my roomate used it to get something to work before. Worth a shot...

G

OK...this is going to sound crazy...but have you tried to set your memory timings a little more aggressively. I had this problem on my Soyo Dragon + when I put the third stick of memory in, and this BSOD issue is being experienced by a lot of people - there's a petition on the net with over a thousand signatures! My memory is Micron PC2100 DDR, and the moment I dropped the CAS Latency in the BIOS from 2.5 to 2, the BSOD went away.

It must be some kind of weird timing issue. Give it a go and let us know how you get on,

Bahamut