ECS K7S5A Onboard Sound Question

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I am making sure I have all the latest drivers for this mobo, but I want to completely disable the onboard sound. Now, I know where to do this in the BIOS, and I know that the C-MEDIA 9738 Codec isn't necessary for me to install, because it is only for the onboard sound.

However, there is ALSO a driver for SiS 7012 PCI Audio. My question is, does this ALSO ONLY relate to the onboard sound, so I can ignore it? OR does this apply to ANY PCI soundcard (SBLive Platinum for example) you use?

I assume BOTH apply only to onboard sound, but I want to be absolutely positive.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I believe both are there because they used 2 different kinds of onboard sound on that motherboard. If I am wrong about that, I will be just as curious as to that info as you are now.

Most importantly... if you aren't using the onboard sound... I just don't think it matters to you... disable it and use the drivers for the card you install.
The onboard sound on the K7S5A I just got used the SiS 7012 PCI Audio. I didn't install the C-MEDIA 9738 codec.

If I recall correctly... the way I determined which to install was by looking at my System Devices and seeing that the sound device was listed as SiS 7012....

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Update:

They are BOTH for onboard sound. One is the DRIVER update, the other is the CODEC update. This is what I thought, but I wanted to be 100% certain. So if you want to disable the onboard sound for this card, do so in the BIOS, and do not install the driver OR the CODEC. Is, however, you ARE using onboard sound, you should update the driver and the CODEC. The CODEC ONLY applies to the K7S5A board.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Interesting... I haven't noticed any problems without installing the C-Media codec... I wonder what it's purpose is...

I'll install it and see if it changes anything.

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
If things are working fine you probably will not notice any difference. Still, there ARE updates for the CODEC, and being the person I am, I want to make sure I have ALL the latest updates for EVERY part of my machine. The reason I was confused in this case was because I wasn't sure if the SiS PCI Audio was for PCI Audio IN GENERAL or JUST for the onboard sound. Is is JUST for onboard sound, so if you don't want it, use the drivers for you card instead, and disable in the BIOS.

I have never used a board with onboard sound so things weren't completely clear to me, but they are now.