Is DAOC friendly to fashion monkeys?

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

I never tried DAOC due to not liking the character models, but
starting with Catacombs it appears that this game will have the most
attractive ones after Lineage2 (and much more sensibly dressed, woot!).
I'm curious, though...I assume that the customizability won't really
change, nor will armors available...so how much *can* a fashion monkey
have fun in this game? Do all high level characters end up eventually
looking the same, even amongst different classes? (IE, all platewears are
the same, all leather-wears the same, etc.)

Thanks. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Foxeye Vaeltaja EQ: 65 Forest Stalker (Xev) - retired
http://www.foxeye-art.com Horizons: 10 Monk/Druid/Outfitter (Dawn)
http://www.the-luggage.com
7 answers Last reply
More about daoc friendly fashion monkeys
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    Hi,

    I would say that DAoC has the greatest chance for difference. We have
    Epic Armor (career quest-based), Artifacts (specific quest-based), Master
    Level drops, and Player Crafted Armor. pretty much all of them can be
    dyed, as well. Factor in guild emblem cloaks and shields, and you have
    a reall wide vaiety of looks. Now, admittedly, certain classes (Hunters,
    Shadowblades, Scouts, Infiltrators, Nightshades, and Wardens) are going to
    be black/dark colors to stealth, but outside of them, there really isn't
    any reason/need to *not* have a varied and colorful outfit.

    Try us, you'll like us!

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:

    > I never tried DAOC due to not liking the character models, but
    > starting with Catacombs it appears that this game will have the most
    > attractive ones after Lineage2 (and much more sensibly dressed, woot!).
    > I'm curious, though...I assume that the customizability won't really
    > change, nor will armors available...so how much *can* a fashion monkey
    > have fun in this game? Do all high level characters end up eventually
    > looking the same, even amongst different classes? (IE, all platewears are
    > the same, all leather-wears the same, etc.)
    >
    > Thanks. :)
    >
    > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    >
    > Foxeye Vaeltaja EQ: 65 Forest Stalker (Xev) - retired
    > http://www.foxeye-art.com Horizons: 10 Monk/Druid/Outfitter (Dawn)
    > http://www.the-luggage.com

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    I would have to say that very rarely do any two players look the same.
    Visually, one has the following items to customize:

    Helm
    Chest piece
    legs
    arms
    pants
    gloves
    boots
    cloak
    weapon slot 1
    weapon slot 2

    There are plenty of different colors to choose from that can be made
    by players or purchased from merchants.

    One thing that might not appeal to you is that with the release of
    ToA, different armor has the same skin. More specifically, they use
    the same skin for cloth/chain/leather/studded armor, when in the past,
    each piece had it's own look. It's much more difficult to tell a ToA
    Chain item from a ToA Cloth item. This isn't as bad as it sounds, as
    there is so, so much to choose from.

    And I would have to agree with what was already said: no classes (or
    people for that matter!) look the same, except for Rouge classes who
    usually dress in black for a little more camoflauge appeal.

    Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.58.0408251642160.30876@bolt.sonic.net>...
    > I never tried DAOC due to not liking the character models, but
    > starting with Catacombs it appears that this game will have the most
    > attractive ones after Lineage2 (and much more sensibly dressed, woot!).
    > I'm curious, though...I assume that the customizability won't really
    > change, nor will armors available...so how much *can* a fashion monkey
    > have fun in this game? Do all high level characters end up eventually
    > looking the same, even amongst different classes? (IE, all platewears are
    > the same, all leather-wears the same, etc.)
    >
    > Thanks. :)
    >
    > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    >
    > Foxeye Vaeltaja EQ: 65 Forest Stalker (Xev) - retired
    > http://www.foxeye-art.com Horizons: 10 Monk/Druid/Outfitter (Dawn)
    > http://www.the-luggage.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    "Demon" <joe.robinson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > And I would have to agree with what was already said: no classes (or
    > people for that matter!) look the same, except for Rouge classes who
    > usually dress in black for a little more camoflauge appeal.

    My wife has a level 32 Infiltrator that dresses in Bright Yellow.. It's
    quite fetching really, and think it might catch on... Of course, the fact
    that she gets her arse handed to her on a plate might have something to do
    with the colour, but she blames her own skill level!!

    Dan
    Hubby to a fashion victim!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:44:58 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com>
    wrote:

    It's not all that new, but about 15 new dye colors got added in 1.69 as
    well, and personally I think there's some really nice ones amongst them.

    The items themselves look diverse enough, the newer ones anyway. Of
    course certain items are the best in their category for a certain class,
    so a relatively large number will be using those items.

    Item looks are directly linked to the stats, you can't decide on your
    own looks for an armor you craft or find, like you can in Neverwinter
    Nights for example, where you can make a plate look like a dress
    *cough*.

    Because many people use the same items much of the uniqueness comes from
    guild emblems (if possible on your cloak/shield) and dye colors, but
    it's enough to recognize the most well known players without looking at
    their names :)

    --

    Thorarin
    Tiwaz's Emissaries GM and Webmaster (http://www.tiwaz.org/)

    Midgard Excalibur:
    Thorarin, 50 Thane, ML9 Battlemaster (1165 AC)
    Jydan, 50 Healer Isen Herra, ML10 Perfecter
    Thorunn, 50 Shaman buffbot, ML6 Perfecter
    Tordek, Warrior 47
    Mona VolFruit, Shadowblade 37
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Dan English wrote:

    > "Demon" <joe.robinson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > And I would have to agree with what was already said: no classes (or
    > > people for that matter!) look the same, except for Rouge classes who
    > > usually dress in black for a little more camoflauge appeal.
    >

    > My wife has a level 32 Infiltrator that dresses in Bright Yellow.. It's
    > quite fetching really, and think it might catch on... Of course, the fact
    > that she gets her arse handed to her on a plate might have something to do
    > with the colour, but she blames her own skill level!!

    Hehehehehe, y'know, I never considered before the ramifications of vanity
    in a PvP game. Rogue-ish types would actually have a legit reason to
    dress dark...I love it.

    Of course, with the new models...don't the dyes no longer saturate the
    entire piece of armor, but rather settle into the creases? That could
    even the playing field for your wife a bit, heh.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Foxeye Vaeltaja EQ: 65 Forest Stalker (Xev) - retired
    http://www.foxeye-art.com Horizons: 10 Monk/Druid/Outfitter (Dawn)
    http://www.the-luggage.com
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    > Of course, with the new models...don't the dyes no longer saturate the
    > entire piece of armor, but rather settle into the creases? That could
    > even the playing field for your wife a bit, heh.

    To be honest, I'm not certain - I've not read much about catacombes, short
    of looking at the models when they released.

    Anyone fancy telling my wife she won't look like a lemon? I think if I
    broke the news to her, she's do something nasty involving knives, rubber
    gloves and vinegar...

    *gulp*

    Dan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

    Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.58.0408251642160.30876@bolt.sonic.net>...
    > I never tried DAOC due to not liking the character models, but
    > starting with Catacombs it appears that this game will have the most
    > attractive ones after Lineage2 (and much more sensibly dressed, woot!).
    > I'm curious, though...I assume that the customizability won't really
    > change, nor will armors available...so how much *can* a fashion monkey
    > have fun in this game? Do all high level characters end up eventually
    > looking the same, even amongst different classes? (IE, all platewears are
    > the same, all leather-wears the same, etc.)

    Lineage2 looks really good...I would be thrilled if Catacombs was
    comparable.

    There is good variety in DAOC though sometimes the variety is
    subtle--though that is probably more realistic.

    There are a ton of different dye color available.

    There is a more variety in weapons and shields than armors.

    All in all everyone looks different and most times I can identify who
    I am walking up to by their clothes before I can see their name tag if
    it's someone I know.

    To give you an example, for the longest time I wore a very purple
    pointed wizard's hat. I don't recall really every seeing anyone else
    if with the same hat. When I finally replaced the hat, several people
    asked me what happened to my hat :)

Internet Explorer Games Video Games