Is this a Good setup?

G

P4T-E
P4 1.6a
512 non-ECC RDRAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB
iiyama CRT (need to decide on a good one, maybe not even iiyama?)
Genie CoolCase
FlowPower 500W psu
SB Audigy MP3+

Are there anythings with this setup that any of you would recommend me changing before I order the hardware? Please tell me whats wronge if there is anything wronge. I need advice.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The P4T-E is a great board, but I love Abit, so I grabbed the TH7II-RAID. It's a bit better for overclocking, otherwise basically the same.

Get Samsung double-sided RDRAM if you can, it's currently the best around. I've had good success with mine.

Ilyamas are nice, but a comparably priced Viewsonic would probably be about the same, and easier to get your hands on.

Why the FlowerPower- I mean FlowPower PSU? Just curious why you chose that brand.

Audigy? Hmm...I wonder if Creative will ever produce a problem-free driver. Although I've heard that under the correct circumstances, people have actually gottten their Creative sound cards to work without any problems at all! :eek:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

G

I picked FlowPower because I've heard it is nice and quiet but powerfull. Do you have any suggestions about a psu and sound card? Also, would I notice any difference if I got a Radeon 8500 instead of a gforce 4 ti 4600? I do not play games or do heavy graphics design.

Thanks for the info.

FatBurger

Illustrious
If you don't play games or do graphics design, you don't need an expensive card. What are you going to be using the computer for? The Radeon 8500 supports dual monitors and has the DVI to VGA adapter included, if you're interested in that. The GF4Ti4600's do as well, but don't include the adapter (they're cheap).

In my opinion, Enermax power supplies are the best, followed closely by Antec. I haven't heard of FlowPower power supplies before, so they could be way better, for all I know.

For a sound card, try any of Hercules cards or the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. The Hercules cards range from $20-$100, and the Santa Cruz is around $50-60.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Everything looks good. Iiyama makes great monitors but are a little pricey. I would possibly consider an Enermax PS though but I too know nothing of flowpower PS's. Don't let anybody scare you away of Creative Labs sound cards. I've been using them for years and haven't had any more problems with them than other brands. If you don't want to spend the $$$ on enermax, then Antec may be a better option. Just don't skimp on the PS like a lot of people do. It just leads to problems later.

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Also, the Radeon 8500 is a little overkill for what it sounds like you need. I would save a little money and go with something a little cheaper. But thats just me.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't let anyone talk you into a Creative Labs sound card. I've been using them for years and have had nothing but problems, especially compared to other brands.

Interesting how people's experiences vary :wink:

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Sparkle also makes VERY good PS, so you should consider them as well. IMO Antec > Sparkle > Enermax

However, this is one man's opinion.

Creative cards work just fine in my experience (XGamer, Audigy, Platinum).

jimmyswimm

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Just to follow up on what they have said you can save yourself some mass money on your graphics card if you aren't using it to game or edit. For an example I see a GeforceMx-200 for 52 bux and if you want the tv out that's 60 bux on the same card. The radeon is about 180 bux. My suggestion save the roughly 120 bux in this example and go for a nice burner. Burning a 700 meg disc in 5 minutes, you'll certainly love that. Oh and about the whole creative thing I have a sb live 5.1 platinum and the only quirks I had were from the remote center and having to download the 2000 drivers.

<b><font color=blue>The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. :lol: :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, I forgot Sparkle. It seems like not many people buy them anymore. People are caught up with Enermax and Antec.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
All my rails are at their correct voltages or a little higher with my 430W Enermax. I don't know how you can have a better power supply.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
By having lots more stuff in your box, and still having all the rails good?
I have a 430w Enermax too, it rocks.

G

I agree. I can't decide on a decent video card. I'd like to be able to play the latest games but do not want to spend a lot of money. I could get a voodoo5 but I've heard that they arn't good. Does any Geforce 2 play the latest games very well? I kinda can't decide what I'll do with the computer. Right now I don't play games because my computer can't realy handle any. Its just a 200Mghz Pentium MMX with an S3 Virge and 64 megs of ram. Ah-well. guess I never will make up my mind :(

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Check pricewatch for lower prices on the Radeon 8500 RETAIL. Look for a clockspeed of 275 and a "Built By ATI" boxwrap. You just can,t buy a better card for the SAME money. Just bought one. Got it from NewEgg.com. Works without a hitch.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Your setup is great...just be careful about the brands. I'm telling ya here that Brands DO MATTER.

For the video card part, I think there's no game that requires better than a Geforce2 MX400 to run smoothly. But it will be best choice if you choose a Geforce 2 Ti if you don't wanna get outdated pretty soon, as well as be able to play games in nice condition without rebooting after you did operations like burning. WELL, all my suggestion is based on the fact that you don't wanna spend a lot of money.

Never trust in any unknown online vendors!!!