Board for a 233MHz AMD K6-2

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a friend with a bad system board, and I wouldn't know where to begin to look for one of these boards.

Any help?

<font color=red><i>such madness</i></font color=red>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Check here:<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1260_1217^1101^2342,00.html" target="_new">AMD K6-2 website</A>

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
socket7.....
BUT, this might be a chance for your friend to upgrade to something new...
but that might be more money than buying a new board, because he will need to get new ram, heatsink, etc.

but i would say to look into a socket7 motherboard...as this is what you need to run that processor.<A HREF="http://www.directron.com/va503.html" target="_new">http://www.directron.com/va503.html</A>
as you can see, they arent that cheap...but it will work.
and this one i linked you to, the VA-503+ by FIC is a good overclocking socket7 board...because it has a bunch of jumper settings...
but even if you arent into overclocking, then it will be a decent board for that processor.
i would see if your friend has the money to possibly do a system upgrade tho...because you would be better off in the long run.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, i guess, but it is good for barebones systems.
like nothing but a pci video card, and a cpu.
and this guy didnt give any parts other than the cpu, so...hehe
but i only know a few socket 7 boards...
i know that the intel one was pretty good...cant remember the chipset, or the name...but i do know the acorp 5ali61, which is a decent board, that i didnt have any serious problems with.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
bestest...i like that word...
i think that tx sounds familiar...
but i think you are correct about the ali...it was pretty damn stable...

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The VX could only address around 2MB per chip properly. Original low denstiy memory had 16 chips for a 32MB DIMM, which worked. Anything with higher density would be read as smaller, much smaller. Like a 128MB DIMM being read as 16MB! That issue only affected the Intel VX chipset, not the VIA and ALi substitutes.
The TX, on the other hand, could support most modern memory, I was running PC133 Cas 2 128MB DIMMs in my last TX board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Thanks.

So modern memory and any 128MB DIMMs would not work on the VX board? Would 64MB DIMMs work becasue my MB manual (GA-586VX) says max. ram is 128MB (i guess only 66/100mhz)?

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There were special DOUBLE HEIGHT DIMMs that had 32 chips on them and were 64MB. Very pricey. Your better off with SIMMs, this being the case.
A friend of mine actually had a 256MB DIMM come up as 64MB. While I considered this slightly impressive (breaking the 2MB per chip rule at 4MB per chip), the instability it caused was unacceptable.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Isn't the EDO SIMMs slower than the SDRAM DIMMs?

So even if I find old 66mhz 64MB DIMMs, they would probably be using 16 chips.

I'm glad i asked before buying because the stupid manual just says sure you can use 2 x 64MBs of SDRAM DIMMs.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The "speed" is not the issue, it's an addresing issue. 16-chips usually provides 32MB. Some chips don't work at all. Others read odd sizes, but usually 2MB/chip. SDRAM is faster, but limmits you to 64MB, because you can't find the "right kind" of chip to make 128MB. So you're better off with EDO SIMMS, since you can use more memory.

I keep some old memory around just for VX motherboards! Nothing larger than 32MB however!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the Asus P5A or P5A-B are the best boards for socket7 processors, too bad they dont support ATA/66! i have used the Redfox AGPALi umpteen times try if you get one of these!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>