tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
I cant wait for this game because in an acrticle i read (i cant find it now) epic was acctually trying to improve the game not the eye candy, and playability is the most important thing aswell as a good storyline. I think this game is going to be humongous, i mean ofcourse it is its part of the UT franchise, but it will be better than anything that has come before it in terms of playability. anyone else waiting for this game?, not many game threads comming up anymore so i felt like posting something random.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3140119&did=1
found it.

EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!

Thanx, i love UT2k4....I dont play online because i dont have the time to get good enugh. but the ranking system they have would be nice so i could have a chance to win withou playing 100hrs a week.

This game is going to bankrupt me....It sounds like its going to be a gpu hog....but most of all a cpu hog with all the AI functions and voice commands.

I wonder if they will have support for dual cores to help with that task.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One thing I've found about the Unreal games is that while they look great on top spec, the engine is usually very scalable for all machines. That's something many people forget about most developers - remember the year of "Will my machine run Half-Life 2?" - is that they have to scale their engines to fit all consumers, not just the top 5% that runs out and buys the GeForce 7800 the moment it's released.

In order to make your bread your game needs to be able to run on that proprietary-RAM stuffed Dell Dimension that 95% of the rest of the world is running. To this end Epic have done quite well in the past, and I'd say they'll be doing the same in the future.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yeah, i get what your saying but most games are CPU starved as it its....Granted a 3200+ and a 7800GTX makes thigns look great.

but with the focus in UT2K7 on AI and voice command....i wonder how much CPU will be left for physics and such.

I'm sure they will iron it all out...Yes there was panic about HL2 that turned out to be rubbish. HL2 can be played with a 9600XT very easily....but for every HL2 there are well more like FEAR, Doom3, and BF2 that dont scale nearly as well.

HL2 is a rarity, bad programming code can ruin everything....look at the sim's or WoW or some other games that arn't that graphicly intense as HL2 but have much higher required specs for decent "pretty' gameplay.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Although many people seem to like what ValvE did with HL2 to make it run decently (and it's even worse in CSS) I find it objectionable that they did not provide many options to users to modify that behavior.

I am specifically referring to how HL2 handles shadows and dynamic lightsources. I know that Source is capable of many if not all of the gimmics that FEAR is showing off, but they've optimized the engine such that it is running very well on mediocre hardware. The price is too high though, apparently the optimizations they did are not easily configurable so as a high end user I have no real control over that. For example when playing CSS I'm not seeing my own shadow!! My opponents can see it, so I can't really see where my shadow is giving away my position. Very annoying. FEAR has that covered nicely and I am sure that you can do it in Source, they just chose not to use a player model, and not to render the shadow, for performance reasons.

And then when they find the time to put in new features, they put in HDR (which is easily configurable) instead of proper shadow handling. O well, maybe I'm just picky.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Thats a fair complaint.....If hey are going to build a next gen game and allow users with crappy video cards to play they should make it with a long list odf things to edit. I mean a like 5 basic swtiches that turn on and off things....but under them you can configure your setup to turn specific things on an off for the users who want more control....thats reasonable.

FEAR is a good game, but honestly it can blow me. I hate how my 6800GT can only do 10x7 with medium settings.....its the only game that sucks on my computer. the rest i can do 16x12 low or 10x7 high and be alright.....BF2 i can get away with most things high and a couple things turned down to medium...but still.

I dont play a lot of games, but the ones i like to play the most are UT2k4, AoE, and Spades(alright not a graphical game but i like to play it so eat me...lol)

I played AoE online for about 6 months, and i got decent at it, but i got bored after a while because its an all or nothing game. you are either 100% in the game going as fast as possible clicking and using keyboard shortcuts or you are dead.

I played UT2k4 online 4 times, i am alright....but i get killed 75 times in 10min. I refuse to play on servers that are too good for me and get taunted. I dont mind losing if i learn.....but i need something like a ranked sysem where i could play other n00bs

and spades....i am a stright up spades ninja....no joke, yahoo spades i can play for HOURS. I usually end up with stupid partners but when i get a good parner i win about 95% of the time. I am a Spades GOD!

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
FEAR is a good game, but honestly it can blow me. I hate how my 6800GT can only do 10x7 with medium settings.....its the only game that sucks on my computer. the rest i can do 16x12 low or 10x7 high and be alright.....BF2 i can get away with most things high and a couple things turned down to medium...but still.

I don't think your GT is killing you with FEAR, I think it's your 2800 cpu or your 1Gb of mem. I have a 6800GT with a 3500+ and 2Gb of mem and it's running pretty well. It just the soft shadows that it can't handle.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
There is a difference between running pretty well and well....
10x7 medium settings i am rocking 60fps and never below 40.

I would like to have high settings or max setings at 45fps and never below 30....but i can't it hovers around 30 and drops to 15 sometimes....not cool.

Most games i do very well in considering i have a crap ass cpu....dont hate my ram....it can do 2-2-2-5 upto 275FSB. (tested in a friend machine, my cpu couldn't do that...lol)

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Werid on the fear demo i played at 1280x1024 on high settings i got around 35fps constant. but im having this weird problem in quake 4 where the game like every 4 seconds pauses not fully but like lags its weird i think im running my ata100 drive on ata33 cables lol but im to lazy to fix it. maybe its just my page fileing..hmmmm. anyone else playing q4? im sure ill be able to run ut2k7 at 10x7 on high settings maybe not the physics cause of my 3200xp, but my 6800LE (unlocked 12p and 8v) overclocked to 390 core.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
the physics cards look to be about $200-$250 last i read.

I dont know how much or what it will increase as far as frame rates or quality of the game....so i m holding off on that.

Lets hope it is actualyl worth the cost.....

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
it wont help the graphics just the physics so like instead of having stale grass it will sway in the wind or still trees, when it comes down to it its pretty unneeded unless your a big spender.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
but think about it like this....all games are cpu limited with a 7800GTX....But with the physicis card about HALF of the load the cpu has would suddenly dissapear. That would give more cpu resources for other tasks and could feed the GPU more....hence driving performance up. Its possble, and its been talked about....i am just curious how much of the physics load can be offloaded and how much headroom the 7800GTX's have with a CPU that can keep up.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Yet you dont have a 7800gtx ;) i know what your saying but theyre not gonna take advantage of those physics because of the average gamer who cant afford a proccesor and one of those cards. but ya if you want even MORE fps then definentally get it.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I dont have one now.....but in about a year i should have enough money for a nice OC'd dually AMD to around 3Ghz, a top of the line card (8800GTX or 2800XT or whatever) A physics card, some nice ram....That setup should be alright to play games...lol

but almost all Gpu's are cpu limited right now....NOBODY has a 6600GT with a Fx57. So the physics crd will help somewhat....maybe 1fps, maybe 5, maybe 30....who knows how this will all work out when a game is properly coded for the physics card and a dual core setup....when the GPU can be fed more....more can be done with it....i am just curious HOW much more.

Finally in the next year or two cpus will finally start to catch up wih gpus....gmes will be coded for dual core, 64bit, and physics cards....Both ATI and Nvidia going to whole new articture for the cards comming out Q1 06.......if they are great cards.....we could be on the verge of a quantum leap in gaming.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
amd athlon 3200(2500) no upped voltage. asus a7n8 deluxe, 1Gb OCZ Performance, 6800(unlocked LE),antec truepower 450 watt. built for 379.00 dollers :D thats the power of shopping.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
ya im starting on my second comp though, its a AMD Duron 1.8Ghz (reaches 200mhz buss speed) so basically its a 2400 if i ovcerclock it a little more. im thinking a 9800pro? not 6600gt the proc will bottleneck it. any suggestions?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, 2.4 Ghz/2400+ (though the older core may hold you back?) is about the level where the 6600 GT can be utilized.

It's only like 25% more than a 9800 Pro, right? 15% more than a 9800 XT? Something like that, give or take.