SO many motherboards

G

I have been looking and looking and don't seem to be getting anywhere. Which one for Athlon +1900? I want something that won't be unsupported for upgrades in 6 mo. and is DDR capable. ANY help will be appreciated!!!

G

I just bought a KR7A about three or four weeks ago and have nothing but praise for it (very fast!) That said, the KT333's are just an upgraded KT266A - so I doubt you will find a good-brand KT333 that would be slower. Hammer's will probably be amazing - but they may not be here for another six months and they may cost alot when they do get here (have they announced anything about pricing?) Since I have been so busy setting up this system I haven't kept up real well with dates on things - is the KT333 actually in stores now? At any rate - I would suggest the KR7A-133R (or RAID version) or an KT333 board. If you get the KR7A, make sure to get good RAM and you can run it at DDR333 or higher if you want (but you'll have to overclock - mine is running at 185fsb w/ 512 of OCZ PC3000 RAM) Just my two cents.

btw - I just thought I would clarify, you won't have to overclock for it to be fast; only if you want to run at DDR333 or faster. It doesn't have a setting to run the RAM that fast, you just have to overclock the FSB.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Drewlee77 on 03/07/02 02:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
If you are worried about upgradeability... I think the current AMD line is just about at it's peak (which will likely be a 2100XP+ or 2200XP+ from what I understand)

Therefore... getting a nice cheap motherboard might be the way to go and just save your money for an upgrade later.

Most people seem to find the ECS K7S5A (I think I screwed up that name... but it's enough that you'll figure out which one I'm talking about) to be great value. It's about $95 in Canada and probably around $50 in the US and has onboard sound and LAN. A very sweet deal! You probably will use your own sound card though and disable the onboard sound...

If you want a board for overclocking or something cutting edge now, then your options open up a lot - but I don't see anything being upgradeable to the hammer processors that should be out soon... so waiting for that will keep you cutting edge with lots of upgradeability as the hammers get faster over time.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tiberius13 on 03/07/02 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS