Man Sells Steam Account for $1,000 on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Has to be the #1 reason for people quitting video games: eventually a person realizes that years have gone by and he/she has no stories to tell that involve people outside of the computer.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
One person's wasted time is another person's entertainment. I have made many friends playing online games, why is that different than hanging out at the house? Obviously when it interferes with your obligations in life (becomes an addiction) it's time to hang it up.

I personally need balance in life, but I also realize the act of socializing has changed. I know my kids will partake, probably more than me, and as long as it's controlled I wont mind.

It's obviously not what he wanted so he had the freedom to let it all go and do what he really wanted in life. Good for him on making the step.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]rbarone69[/nom]...he had the freedom to let it all go and do what he really wanted in life. Good for him on making the step.[/citation]
Something many people are unable to do. +1 to dave311freak !

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i'm happy for the guy... i used to be addicted to city of heroes, but that has long since passed... now video games are only a sometime thing [college student], and I only play on the 'dead platform' that is the pc

btw i bought like 10 games for $50 off of steam during the sale. i won't even have time to play them =[

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
A little slow on the news here, Tom's... The latest development in this case is that sale of your steam account is prohibited by the terms and it's unclear whether this account will be locked out.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Shouldn't have made it so public... [citation][nom]stradric[/nom]A little slow on the news here, Tom's... The latest development in this case is that sale of your steam account is prohibited by the terms and it's unclear whether this account will be locked out.[/citation]
That would be a very bad thing to do on Steam's side. Keeping all the games tied into an account is bad enough, but at the same time, pointing out that warning easily protects steam from a legal lashback.
At the same time, who's to say that he's not just changing his email address? Ho hum, legality and the game of trying to skirt around it...

G

Family and friends? I visit with family on the weekend, and guess what we do? Yep, play video games. Activities with friends are generally limited to eating out or going to a movie. You won't catch me selling my game collection, unless I suddenly decide to become a nomad or something. Of course, my collection consists of discs, manuals, boxes, extras, etc. - stuff actually worth buying.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
This is a huge issue with online gaming, these companies Steam, Blizzard, SOE, usually have a EULA prevnting the sale of an account by the end user. Its my "opinion" users should have the legal right to sell these accounts. Many users invest years in leveling and equipping characters/avatars in thses game and should be allowed to profit from the time and effort they've invested.

G

How is it any different from stole goods being sold online... shit happens. I assume we should stop selling anything that could have been obtained from ill means?

Status
Not open for further replies.