ECS K7S5A sound problem

G

Hey there!

I just installed a ECS K7S5A mobo last night with a voodoo3 video card. The onboard sound is pretty choppy. At first, I thought it was happening because the video and sound devices are sharing the same IRQ. However, I checked the ECS website and found postings from others that were experiencing the same problem (without sharing IRQs). One posted said the problems started when he updated his mobo BIOS... reverting to an older BIOS cured the problem. I'm reluctant to mess too much with the BIOS, if this is just a driver problem.

Has anyone here experienced the same problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mark

Ensure all unused onboard options are disabled.

Set the CPU settings to 100/100 just to see what (if any) effect this has.

<b><font color=red> :mad: DELETE THE "EVERYTHING'S GONE QUIET" THREAD!!! :mad: </font color=red></b>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Be careful if you do update the BIOS on your board. Usually it isn't a big deal, but there have been some issues identified with this particular board (I believe specific to win2k and winxp... but check it out yourself).

You can find some info on this at amdmb.com in the ECS motherboard section. I think they have a forum about it stuck right at the top of the forums list.

Oh yes, and naturally my first advice is to make sure you have the most recent driver and codec from the ECS website.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
that issue that you are talking about is with win 2k, i dont know if it applies to winxp, but since they are basically the same, it probably does.
but the problem was that the floppy wouldnt work until the bios was flashed to a newer date.
so i am assuming that there would be no problem.
the one thing i can think would go wrong is if you are having problems with the powersupply, then you might want to consider a new psu before flashing the bios...
but i think you should be ok.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Thanks for your suggestions, Tiberius13. I downloaded and installed the latest audio drivers... that helped a LOT.

I also downloaded the latest CODEC driver... but I can't figure out how to install it??? The unzipped files include a .inf file and a bunch of .dlls... The readme file contains no instructions. Any ideas?

TIA,

Mark

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I'm doing this off the top of my head... but I think what you do is right click on the inf file and choose "Install"...

Maybe wait for a confirmation of this before doing it.... but if all you have is dll files and 1 inf file, I'm 99% sure that is what you do.

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
When you go to Device Manager, there should be a listing for C-MEDIA 9738 CODEC under your sounds and multimedia category. Double-Click on it and update the driver, choose have disk, and point it to where you saved the DLd file.

If you want more detailed instructions than that, tell me what OS you are using.